Jens Voigt - "I just did not dope"

Squier

I agree 100%. The way he can sit on the front day after day and go on mad attacks all the time... says only one thing to me.

So should we discredit all "good" performances in virtually all sports because as soon as somebody does something special then it's suspicious?

Jens has never been the guy to beat for GC, so he is rarely chased down with the same effort than most of the higher placed riders. Often his breakaways are tactical moves by his team to achieve something different, like the 2011 tour when Jens was upfront to assist Andy when he later went for his breakaway to claim the stage win on Galibier. On average he doesn't ride harder than the rest of the peleton, he is just allways willing to be part of the break and his team uses him for exactly that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%. The way he can sit on the front day after day and go on mad attacks all the time... says only one thing to me.

Personally, I think his performances are in line with that of a clean rider. If you have a look at this year's TdF again; he put in massive efforts and performances but was then not seen or heard of for two days at least. If he did it every day I'd be suspicious, but his big efforts are usually followed up by hiding in the peleton for a couple of days. To me, that just looks more 'natural'.

I'm a huge Jens fan but I the idea that he never doped is extremely hard to swallow, even coming from him. I totally understand why he would come out and deny it but frankly I doubt it.

Yeah, is it possible he never doped? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Personally, I think his performances are in line with that of a clean rider. If you have a look at this year's TdF again; he put in massive efforts and performances but was then not seen or heard of for two days at least. If he did it every day I'd be suspicious, but his big efforts are usually followed up by hiding in the peleton for a couple of days. To me, that just looks more 'natural'.

In his latest blog with bicycling.com, he makes consistent references to why he won certain stages, including the Tour Of Germany twice.

In an era when every single (just about) exceptional rider has so far been exposed as a doper it is naive to think that Jens does not. Doesn't mean I don't like him. He just isn't clean.

I think, with obviously good reason, we are at the point where we believe good riders of the lance era were guilty of doping until proven innocent. And even then we wonder... .

However I don't agree that almost every good rider would automatically have been a doper. As in every walk of life, sport, business etc there would have been principled honest guys competing mixed in with the skelms who would do anyting to win & ignorant others who would just go along with whatever was prevalent in the sport.

Is Jens one of the good honest guys? I have no idea but I hope so...

I am pretty sure he knew all about the doping but my gut feel is he didnt dope. at the beginning of his career it seemed he would really dominate cycling and achieve massive things. While he is legendary in terms of his exploits you would have to say in terms of results he was a disappointment. I think his career his consistent with a huge talent that did not dope in an era of rampant doping.

As mentioned in this thread previously. The man will wear you out on twitter. He has 6 kids and manages to wear them out.

His offer to have all his B samples retested says a lot to me. LA has been adamant that he would not allow that to happen

Go, Jens...

He's continue racing in 2013.

He believes the peloton is so much cleaner, hence his ability to still compete at 41.

Will this ever end?

Tyler Hamilton: "I don't know what Jens Voigt seeks to achieve. Do I think he doped himself? Yes, absolutely."