PPA: How much funding should the association retain annually (i.e. not spend on cycling)?

Icycling

PPA excess funds - how should they be spent?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. PPA - how much funding should the association retain annually - not spend on cycling?

• None - it is a non profit cycling association.
    • Just enough reserve funding so PPA can continue with its normal business if a catastrophic event should occur and PPA goes without any income for a full year.
    • All excess income received annually by PPA and not spent on cycling.
    • Other.

Ok so taking into account what you said and reading through the constitution, it's clear to me that PPA's mandate is as wide as to DO EVERYTHING. This is what I have a problem with. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they are doing a good job, but narrow down the focus, because my feeling is that there is a mismatch between people doing things and who are capable and too much money.

There is a big difference between "promote cycling and the interests of cyclists" which would include commuters on the one hand, and racing on the other hand. Jack of all trades but master of none?

I think it is more a case of how the info is passed on.. I feel there is this 'confusion' because there are so many places trying to disseminate the info but not really any succeeding.

Facebook, twitter, websites, email usergroups.. everyone has an account of sorts, but that leaves people scrambling through bits of info looking for a comprehensive update. Eg, did you know PPA have been supporting Tokai for several years in materials?

Wish there was a central point where all information could be passed on, a directory of sorts. We would have a better understanding.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more a case of how the info is passed on.. I feel there is this 'confusion' because there are so many places trying to disseminate the info but not really any succeeding.

Facebook, twitter, websites, email usergroups.. everyone has an account of sorts, but that leaves people scrambling through bits of info looking for a comprehensive update. Eg, did you know PPA have been supporting Tokai for several years in materials?

Wish there was a central point where all information could be passed on, a directory of sorts. We would have a better understanding.

Offer PPA a dedicated subforum on TheHub. FAQs and email only go so far.

How about PPA telling us a bit more detail about 'operating expenses'.Rumour has it thay spend more on salaries than they put back into races.Please tell me i'm wrong.

Ok so taking into account what you said and reading through the constitution, it's clear to me that PPA's mandate is as wide as to DO EVERYTHING. This is what I have a problem with. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they are doing a good job, but narrow down the focus, because my feeling is that there is a mismatch between people doing things and who are capable and too much money.

There is a big difference between "promote cycling and the interests of cyclists" which would include commuters on the one hand, and racing on the other hand. Jack of all trades but master of none?

To a degree - it is easier to do nothing and thus hopefully avoid criticism than doing something and be criticized! This is not only PPA but in many aspects of life!

Their are several agenda by people on the committee, but ultimately if their is no funding allocated - it is hard to get anything started or even sometimes keep things going (Giro del Capo). Biggest way you get nothing done is say to a fellow committee member - write a proposal - as most of the committee don't have time for this and then only to see a few proposals been accepted (funded). Ultimately not doing anything and keeping the bank balance more positive will end up meeting some of agendas of some on the committee and will be applauded at the AGM! But when does this agenda become destructive to cycling i.e. more could be done if funds were been made available without so much PT to access them?

If the core business is for PPA to organize funride (and most of the excess funding come because of a road funride - ACT) surely now a storm big enough has hit with a lot of the road summer funride been cancelled for PPA to step up to the plate even if cost money to organizer with or without partners funride on road which are available. Most of the organizers have set venue and thus cannot just move their funride to the northern sub - but this does not mean PPA could not organize funrides in these areas!

How about PPA telling us a bit more detail about 'operating expenses'.Rumour has it thay spend more on salaries than they put back into races.Please tell me i'm wrong.

They not a racing body - they put harly anything into racing anymore they use to fund the Giro del Capo and make the league "better" - so this is true!

Are their any bike riders/racers on the committee?

People 'in closer touch' with racing?

No I don't think so - I gave up after many years and Uwe and Neville also did not stand again!

No I don't think so - I gave up after many years and Uwe and Neville also did not stand again!

Yikes!

:-(

Decrease entry fees for a year to encourage more 'new' people to do fun rides. Why not pay our CSA fees again.

-I cannot agree more. As a paying PPA Member, many of the cyclists I ride with for just fitness and leisure, do not see why they should pay the PPA R285/yr, when development teams only pay R65/yr. This has been conveyed to me, so don't hold me to the quoted R65 figure. Yes, we need development in cycling, but also we also need motivation for paying members to stay. Let me sketch a simple scenario, as I have experienced from a funride cyclist point of view..

Scenario:

Three years ago, I entered my first Die Burger race, yes, the PPA only provides support to the race organisers. That year we received goody bags, the race was well organised, wrt to water and food stalls along the ride. Last year, no goody bag and at the first water stop, the water ran out, and at the last stop, where you need something nice to chew on, only water, and nothing else, but I'm still paying R200!! Yes, the economic situation is tough on all of us.

So, as a simple paying member I expect the following:

1. Safe cycling funrides and roads

2. Pay 50% less for funrides, that will motivate more riders to participate and do more funrides

3. Discounts at suppliers, wrt to supplements, clothing, etc.

4. Well organised events, wrt support in the forms of water and sustenance along funrides.

5. At big race events where entry numbers have been reached and you can only get susbstitution entries, at least have an automated process - in other words -setup an automated return race entry process, where members can buy entries from such a pool online.

For example, this year I missed getting a Burger race entry and if it was not for a friend not being able to ride, I would not have ridden, because the organisers, simply said sorry, find your own entry, simply unacceptable!!

So, I had to post a wanted ad for an entry like many of the other cyclists did and are doing on this forum -not cool.

-my humble funrider's view as the millions of riders out there...

eek.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks Icycling for all your time and effort! We do appreciate it!

So, as a simple paying member I expect the following:

1. Safe cycling funrides and roads

2. Pay 50% less for funrides, that will motivate more riders to participate and do more funrides

3. Discounts at suppliers, wrt to supplements, clothing, etc.

4. Well organised events, wrt support in the forms of water and sustenance along funrides.

5. At big race events where entry numbers have been reached and you can only get susbstitution entries, at least have an automated process - in other words -setup an automated return race entry process, where members can buy entries from such a pool online.

-my humble funrider's view as the millions of riders out there...

This comes back to my point of what they are actually responsible for. According to their consitution, funriders and the races are only one part (and not the largest) of their duties and in my mind that is where the disconnect is. That's why I'm saying that maybe it's time for them to draw up a plan for the next year, five and 10, and maybe narrow their focus. At the moment they're almost more a charity and for commuting & cycling in general than for funriders and funrides.

Coming back to the topic, and being conservative, I would like to think that one year's expenses, although more than enough, is probably good enough to keep as reserves. Thereafter the money should be spent! And if the reserves are still increasing, spend more! I think Icycling is right in that it's easier to do nothing, but then have no mistakes, than do something.

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm not a ppa member but I don't take part in that many events so was not entirely sure how being a member would benefit me. I have now come to realize that the ppa appears to be the only body that seems to look out for the needs of the SA cyclist. That said in my humble opinion more should be done. Firstly to educate cyclists that the ppa is not just about organizing and supporting cycling events. But also drives to educate motorists about cyclist awareness. But in a friendly no confrontational way - think campaigns on chappies and in the cradle. Heard Steve Haywood on the radio the other day saying motorists should report errant cyclist by taking photos and sending them to ppa - how can they if they are not even aware of its existence. To me they don't have a public presence other than at cycle events and when there is a tragedy on our roads.

They should be the " go to" for ppl like Ctmtber who has had an ongoing struggle for recognition of misdemeanors by golden arrow (with photographic evidence) when his direct attempt to gain attention from the premier and mayor etc has gone unattended.

And has anyone ever noticed that the SA post office employees cycle around with No helmets and no reflective gear - surely ppa should be putting pressure on this institution.

I will become a member if I am correct in my assumptions that this is what PPA should be doing but from outward appearances to me the PPA is like a dog with no teeth. And every person who has been moaning about how bad things are on the road etc should get behind the PPA and help it in the right direction and support it if/ when does campaigns.