Law may change to assist cyclists

paulvs

I take issue with Gail's numbers - not sure where she dreamed those up. There are likely well over 40 cyclists per hour on this road.

Cars must sit and wait until it is safe to overtake as the article says. Time for SA motorists to wake up and join the 21st century. They queue silently for the roadworks, but losing far less time to the odd bike is too much to tolerate.

Gails Jennngs statements smack of neanderthal thinking...

"I'm bigger than you and therefore you can't"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before - but "queue silently" just has not found it's way into the Whinelands. Not a day passes where I see (at least) one person simply deciding to overtake a slower vehicle regardless of oncoming traffic, white lines, being visible, whatever on my daily trip into work. Just an attitude of "the bloke from the front will simply have to pull off into his yellow line to make space for my (often illegal) overtake". Oh, and if you don't move over fast enough to their liking, you get flashed at...

Just yesterday a guy simply overtook a car on a blindish crest, the guy coming from the front fortunately was awake and saw him and had time to jump into his yellow lane. I was just wondering what would've happened if that guy was in his lane with a pedestrian/cyclist in the yellow lane - or a lorry yielding - leaving him nowhere to go.

If people feel that little for themselves, how much will they care for a anonymous cyclist?!

there is no dedicated cycle lane in the area you mention.....it is for bicycles and pedestrians.....and in my opinion more dangerous than the road.

there is no need to be confrontational, the cyclist has every right to be on the road. you are just aggravating yourself and the cyclist.....and for the record i use the lane if i'm on my own or for a social ride.......a bunch of more than 5 riders are just looking for trouble trying to negotiate the cycle lanes at speed.

So cycling at 30km/h and pausing for a second to overtake a pedestrian walking at 6km/h is more dangerous than a car weighing 1000kg and traveling at 70km/h passing a cyclist. Come on man don't be ridiculous.

If the cyclelane is there then use it. And if you are 5 or more riders, even more reason to use it.

You've got to take your own safety in your own hands. Don't go looking for trouble. Yes it would be great if cars always passed us with the 1.5m rule, and if they always waited for a safe spot before overtaking us. And 999/1000 you'll be fine, but you only need to get hit once. If there is a cyclelane (even a crappy one) I use it, because the chances of me getting seriously hurt or killed goes down dramatically.

But if you are telling me I should stop trying to save some poor arrogant cyclists life by confronting them, I'll stop.

In London the cars would sit behind me traveling at my speed until it was clear to overtake me legally and safely. It is not a new concept in the rest of the world.

I had a similar experience while in Germany. I saw a boy about 5 years old cycling in the middle of the road. A double decker bus came up behind the boy and kept a clear distance of about 10m from the boy. I was gobsmacked. For one I could not believe the boy was cycling by himself and I was amazed that the driver patiently remained behind the boy. This is an example real respect for another person.

So cycling at 30km/h and pausing for a second to overtake a pedestrian walking at 6km/h is more dangerous than a car weighing 1000kg and traveling at 70km/h passing a cyclist. Come on man don't be ridiculous.

If the cyclelane is there then use it. And if you are 5 or more riders, even more reason to use it.

You've got to take your own safety in your own hands. Don't go looking for trouble. Yes it would be great if cars always passed us with the 1.5m rule, and if they always waited for a safe spot before overtaking us. And 999/1000 you'll be fine, but you only need to get hit once. If there is a cyclelane (even a crappy one) I use it, because the chances of me getting seriously hurt or killed goes down dramatically.

But if you are telling me I should stop trying to save some poor arrogant cyclists life by confronting them, I'll stop.

i see where you are coming from. chill out. we don't need you on the road in that frame of mind.

Edited by ccc2

Time to do speed and white line control on Chapman's Peak! Then cyclist enjoying the ride will be safe and motorist would not get angry at cyclist - think PPA should also really remove their sign it does nothing for us as cyclist just give reasons for motorist to be un happy!

Ok Pic I took today of 20km/h going up chapman's peak did not attached!

Edited by Icycling

Time to do speed and white line control on Chapman's Peak! Then cyclist enjoying the ride will be safe and motorist would not get angry at cyclist - think PPA should also really remove their sign it does nothing for us as cyclist just give reasons for motorist to be un happy!

HUH? unsure.png huh.png

That pic is so small, can hardly make it out, but quite sure that is NOT a PPA sign, looks rather surprisingly a lot like the type of sign the RTA would erect.

edit = typo

Edited by Wannabe

i see where you are coming from. chill out. we don't need you on the road in that frame of mind.

You only read what you want to read (judging by what you highlighted). I am on you side even if you don't see it. Some cyclists are their own worst enemy, and sometimes need to be protected from themselves. Please just be safe and courteous.

*typo

Edited by BlinkFan

the MEC for Tourism Alan Winde got mugged on the bicycle lane (paarden eiland) this morning - even his VIP protection services body guard couldn't stop the attack. his cellphone was stolen.

Sh*t happens.

the MEC for Tourism Alan Winde got mugged on the bicycle lane (paarden eiland) this morning - even his VIP protection services body guard couldn't stop the attack. his cellphone was stolen.

Sh*t happens.

At least one good thing will come from this, and this is that the security on this section will be sharpened up.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s480x480/599000_10151289147265310_765981962_n.jpg

That is what we get - does this really promote tolerance towards other road uses - - this sign is just after what was a 20kmh sign now missing!

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/544903_10151289147845310_1193428094_n.jpg

The toad's (yes their are way less toads than humans and need more protection - possible) just heighten awareness!

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/659_10151289148660310_1989972511_n.jpg

More walking activist warning - plenty of these on the drive. Oh know look on the other side of the road cyclist riding a breast. If they were local ladies well they at least had their helmets on. If they were foreign ladies they probably wondering why they need to have helmets on - they really did look like they were having a blast and enjoying the day having a true funride - but riding abreast - these are by no means racing snakes!

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p206x206/379089_10151289156765310_1800138562_n.jpg

House riders get awareness!

For those of you who don't like CT! This 1 was taken today for you.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/602522_10151289149725310_1170732745_n.jpg

You only read what you want to read (judging by what you highlighted). I am on you side even if you don't see it. Some cyclists are their own worst enemy, and sometimes need to be protected from themselves. Please just be safe and courteous.

*typo

we train on that road often (at 5 in the a.m.) with little traffic. no one bugs us (other than GA busses - which we sorted out and they now drive a bit more decently) but the other morning we had a moron that started hooting from a long way and sped past us. i can only assume that he was peeved off because we were on his road and not on the cycle path. we are all lit up like xmas trees, we ride in single file, we were the only ones on the road until moron in his motor came along. so whats with the hooting. believe me if the cycle path was wider and in 1 direction and conducive to riding at speed then i would be there.