Can't get my old pedals off...

PokerFace

I have bought new pedals. The problem is, I can't get my old pedals off. Is there a trick to getting the pedals off. It's way too tight.

Tool in a can or PS22 spray works really well but most importantly make sure you are losening and not tightening. As stupid as it may sound it is easy to get it wrong when taking off your pedals - Lefty Loosy Right Tighty

One at a time. Turn the bike onto its side. Squirt some lube (the thinnest you can get) onto the "inner" part of the pedal's axle, the piece that points towards the frame. There should be a little "pool" where the axle screws through the crank arm. Leave it overnight so that gravity can do its thing. The idea is that the lube should make its way down through the threads. I did this on my fiance's bike. Just left it for 20 minutes and the pedals came off.

Lefty Loosy Right Tighty

I got my own thing I remember when taking off pedals.

"With the pedal pointing forward (and the spanner pointing backward), push down (on the spanner)".

Yup there is also an old Afrikaans trick which works.

A shifting spanner and a hammer!!

If you can't screw it off DONDER it off!!!

Yup there is also an old Afrikaans trick which works.

A shifting spanner and a hammer!!

If you can't screw it off DONDER it off!!!

LOLLOLLOL Ek sal dit maar laaste probeer.

Also make sure you are turning the spanner in the correct direction to loosen... for some reason pedals confuse people when it comes to tightening and loosening.

To loosen turn the spanner in the opposite direction that the crank turns under normal pedaling conditions.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Poker, when you use the allen key, put a little pipe over the ane side of the allen key and have a nice longer leever.

the londer the leever, the more you pressure and power you put through.

A little 20 - 30 sm pipe will do

The long park tool pedal spanners work the best, if those cant get them off nothing will.  See if you can use your LBS one if you are really having trouble getting them off.

I always stand next to the bike in my cycling shoes, and the pedal forward from the BB.  Clip you foot in facing forward (ie left foot into right pedal or vice versa).  Attach spanner forward facingand pull up while pushing down with your foot.  Repeat the same on the other side.  If that doesn't work, leave pedal in the same position and attach pedal spanner facing backwards.  Then jump on the spanner or hit with a heavy hammer.  Should loosen just about anything.