Mountain Bike - Small People

Motard660

So I was "told" by my wife that she needs (wants) a new mountain bike and that it must be something decent this time. She become rather knowledgeable regarding the different components that is available on the market and insist that it must be a dual suspension.

The biggest problem we got is that she is 1.58 tall (short blush.png ) and therefore need a Extra Small bike. She got a Extra Small currently and fit her 100%. She tried a normal small bike before, but was not very comfortable with it and a bit on the big side.

Ideally I would think of a 29er but I don't think it is available in a Extra Small. My next thought is maybe a 27.5, but due to availability and newly introduced in the Market, not really available....especially in Extra Small! There is some manufactures like Giant that have a Extra Small duel, but only in a 26er.wacko.png

My question is:

Is there actually a Manufacturer that makes a 29er or a 27.5 in a Extra Small (14.5) duel suspension?

the santa cruz superlight does a really small 29er, in fact Niner are doing some smaller sizes as well in the carbon jet9

Why did you immediately think of getting a 29er? they are known to be more suitable for tall people, which, according to your description, your wife isn't.

I recently went shopping for a mountain bike and most places recommend 29ers for riders taller than 1.70m, shorter people should stick to smaller wheel sizes.

I am sure if you and your wife have the patience you can wait til the 27.5's hit the market next year, but that will be at a premium until the bike components become a standard stock item.

In my mind its better to invest in a decent 26" dual suspension, some of which are going at very good prices at the moment, until the 27.5 are more standard and therefore more reasonably priced.

try on-one inbred 14" it should fit and the steel frame will take the suspension "shock" that a dual would normally provide her at that size frame

My wife is so short, her thumb can't reach the shifter for the FD. Your 1.57 example is a giant!

PS : anyone done a grip shift conversion on 2x10?

My son is just shy of 1.5m and he is on a small 26er Titan hardtail. The top tube is quite sloped.

Edited by MCipollini