EPO as a recreational cyclist

Dirtbreath

So...your dad was the Michelle Ferrari of his hood? :)

It's strange that when a father gives illegal substances to workers to work better, it's ok, but if managers gives illegal substances to riders to cycle better it's not?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that some riders are competing on medical exclusions already. If you lost your testis - how do they decide wat was your "natural level". Surely you get "topped" to the max allowed. Does age get considered? Dr Jeroen... anyone???

If you really can't answer that yourself then go online and read which are banned. A whole lot of clever folk in white coats have done all the hard work for you.

And don't get caught by the "it's natural" thing. Opium, nicotine, zol, cocaine, are all natural and catastrophic for your health.

Take what you want but don't equate vitamins and concentrated foods with EPO or drugs.

It's not a slippery slope.

Laws are there to help confused or otherwise incompetent people in making what amounts to very simple choices.

The wrong amount of it can be fatal.

Taz, that also highlights what this thread is about. The guys in white coats set the limit. Some stuff is banned, some stuff is banned above certain levels etc etc. If the blood count is above 50, you are cheating, but by golly guys will be sitting on that threshold of 49.9%. As Eldron and Lucky Luke like to point out, sometimes common sense and the law are a bit ugly.

Taz, that also highlights what this thread is about. The guys in white coats set the limit. Some stuff is banned, some stuff is banned above certain levels etc etc. If the blood count is above 50, you are cheating, but by golly guys will be sitting on that threshold of 49.9%. As Eldron and Lucky Luke like to point out, sometimes common sense and the law are a bit ugly.

True Slowbee but, imperfect or not, the law (or rules as Goya points out) are all we have and by reading some of the posts above it is clear that imperfect rules trump non existent common sense any day.

I would explode.

Get one of those VO2 max baloons. Could have collection points at the finish and could run a small city.

True Slowbee but, imperfect or not, the law (or rules as Goya points out) are all we have and by reading some of the posts above it is clear that imperfect rules trump non existent common sense any day.

to come back to the original topic of this thread...what has rules to do with recreational cycling ?

It's strange that when a father gives illegal substances to workers to work better, it's ok, but if managers gives illegal substances to riders to cycle better it's not?

It is all the same (in a way, but in a way not)...

He was requested by the day labourer who had to dig a huge hole to get him the stuff, because he was threatened with being fire for not working.

The mechanic was a self-confessed dope smoker, and it was quite easy to figure when he was "smoked" or not. Was in a small community, so either fire the bloke, and make his wife/kids suffer or tell him to go do what he does, and come back to work.

Culture of "Omerta" and not ratting on your mates ... what is the difference? Both implies keeping quiet above wrongs that were perpetrated...

Cultural norms/practices... So it is OK for rastas to smoke dope, but not for a local who smokes a local weed - however it is OK for his employer to smoke tobacco? ... Where are the boundaries of what is 'normal' and acceptable?

The problem with making judgments is that they are based on values. Values are based on cultures and there are many of those around (in our country, and in the world)

This might come out of the Bible(which many do not read), but the message is valid and applicable "Let him with no sin cast the first stone"

Have a great day, and remember that the moral high horse is normally a bucking bronco!

not sure if this has been posted here yet, but this is a good read and i've seen it on another thread before.

outside magazine reporter takes EPO, for research purposes...research is this article:

http://www.outsideon...t.html?page=all

thumbup1.gif I posted that in the "I Doped Thread" yesterday morning wink.png

The flipside of the coin to doping in the 'normal population' is that a lot of the items mentioned can be used (under medical supervision, and small doses) to improve health and counter the side effects of aging.

read this: http://www.outsideon...t.html?page=all

DRUG TEST

After the EPO kicked in, I rode a 200-miler and I felt strong, fresh, ready to hammer. The next day I easily could have ridden another 200.

He went out to discover the benefits of doping, however there are some real benefits (non sporting performace) too

Also read this...

http://www.outsideon...3.html?page=all

SHOULD AMATEUR RACERS BE TESTED FOR DRUGS?

Increasingly, race organizers are testing non-elite athletes for performance-enhancing drugs. But is it fair, or even possible, to hold amateurs to the same stringent standards as the pros?

Edited by robox

Guest ctMTBer

I read a few comments here regarding RULES etc. soooooo

How many off you were on cortisone for that hay fever, chest infection, inflames knee, ankle, etc etc and still did the weekend fun ride?

Technically it is cheating, right. Because if you were clean you would not finish with your bunch normally? So you robbed Johnny from his 517 th place?

I am not sure how CSA views that case if they had to test you. Most of the fun riders don't even know that 80% off the stuff Thry take for whatever ailment is banned.

I understand that is the question the OP is asking.

Opinion - If you take EPO as an amateur cyclist... you are an.... well actually I can't think up an insult even close to being severe enough to adequately articulate what you are.....

to come back to the original topic of this thread...what has rules to do with recreational cycling ?

You ride under license you are bound by them.

You will never be tested so its up to you if you cheat or not, frankly nobody cares. Just like nobody really cares if you get that sub three or not.

The rules are there for your own protection as well as the integrity of the sport.

Use them or don't use them, the authorities, such as they are, have made them available for all to read, so don't you only have yourself to blame if you end up in trouble.

I don't know why this is so hard to swallow? You may not drink and drive, murder, rape or steal yet these far more severe infringements happen every day. If you are idiot enough to need an ego boost by using EPO or roids then by all means do so.

Opinion - If you take EPO as an amateur cyclist... you are an.... well actually I can't think up an insult even close to being severe enough to adequately articulate what you are.....

But why ? Some would say the same about you taking medicine like antibotics or something else. Eating sugar, etc. I am more interested in your reasoning than your opinion.

If you are idiot enough to need an ego boost by using EPO or roids then by all means do so.

Again. Why would someone be an idiot by using EPO responsibly ?

you mean having a pump in my back pocket for a boost is not common sense.

Oh yes, if someone is on juice for a medical reason in the back groups then so be it. I have no beef with that.

But why ? Some would say the same about you taking medicine like antibotics or something else. Eating sugar, etc. I am more interested in your reasoning than your opinion.

Again. Why would someone be an idiot by using EPO responsibly ?

Do as much research as you have into your diet. You obviously care about your health.

For starters: it's unhealthy, bottom line. Potentially fatal. And uneducated or misinformed people need to be told: don't drink 2 bottles of vodka then drive. No that extra vial of EPO won't make you even younger, faster or better looking, just deader.

Secondly it's unfair to other amateurs who get a kick out if beating you. Why bother timing yourself publicly if you did so unfairly. You are not getting paid either way.

For goodness sake read up on the law suits against Amgen for deaths resulting from legal EPO use.

Train, eat right, be healthy. Those are the parameters, use them.

Or not.

It's one of those: if you have to ask do what you smaak things.

No one really cares.