Thule bike rack for Fortuner

Garfield2010

I thought that plate was made only for the G3? I have been dealing with Woodmead for a little bit now while trying to make up my mind on what bike rack to go for. My options were either G2 (3 bike) or G3 (3 Bike). In the end i got it in writing from Toyota that putting a tail piece on that turns my exhaust down will not void my warranty and went with the G2.

There is a small track at the back of the G2 where the plate fits, but yes it is made for the G6.

Edited by 2-D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a small track at the back of the G2 where the plate fits, but yes it is made for the G6.

Thanks 2-D but now i am annoyed. I was advised that the plate that you guys manufactured would not work on the G2 as it would sit skew and it was too heavy. I reluctantly went through the whole issue of getting Toyota involved stating that i could modify my exhaust. I also reluctantly modified the end of my exhaust which i did not really want to do only to find out now that the plate does fit! This is after discussing this issue with yourselves for over a month. If i am not mistaken you have a guy by the name of Robert there? Just to make sure i am fighting with the right place?

Careful of any rear door / rear spare wheel mounted bike rack...they put a lot of strain on the door and I have read quite a few threads on 4x4community where guys have had to repair rear door locks and bent door latches after using these.

Thanks 2-D but now i am annoyed. I was advised that the plate that you guys manufactured would not work on the G2 as it would sit skew and it was too heavy. I reluctantly went through the whole issue of getting Toyota involved stating that i could modify my exhaust. I also reluctantly modified the end of my exhaust which i did not really want to do only to find out now that the plate does fit! This is after discussing this issue with yourselves for over a month. If i am not mistaken you have a guy by the name of Robert there? Just to make sure i am fighting with the right place?

We do not have a Robert here, or have ever had, not sure which Thule store that was. We are Woodmead, The plate can be modified to fit, maybe it will not be as stable as the G6 but it will work.

Careful of any rear door / rear spare wheel mounted bike rack...they put a lot of strain on the door and I have read quite a few threads on 4x4community where guys have had to repair rear door locks and bent door latches after using these.

As to the rear door, some bike racks can add up a heavy weight on the rear door, on 4x4 tracks and corrigated dirt roads that strain the system can bend a eak point on the rear door, this only tends to happen if thje bikes are bouncing around or the load on the back exceeds what is quoted, e.g. the bigger 4 bike racks.

Edited by 2-D

We do not have a Robert here, or have ever had, not sure which Thule store that was. We are Woodmead, The plate can be modified to fit, maybe it will not be as stable as the G6 but it will work.

DO you have a Richard there?

• 1 year later...

Yup same happened to me this weekend ... Thule ER940 ... bike was okay but plastic "foot" melted away ... the Thule ER940 was supplied with the Toyota Fortuner [bought new last month] and was supplied by Toyota as "tested for the Fortuner" ... mmm ... I think not ... I'm getting Toyota / Thule to replace the melted bits and have just queried chrome end piece to the Fortuner exhaust to prevent it happening again ... apparently [according to dealer] no issue with vehicle performance so I'll pursue this avenue for now ... but PLEASE! surely if its happened before AND the carrier is sold and stocked as a Toyota "tested" part then there should be a read-to-go elegant solution ?!

post-46504-0-70626000-1387279743_thumb.jpg

Yeah Fortuners dont go kindly on especially larger bikes.

Have seen flats from small rocks being thrown onto 29er wheels and jockey guide wheels melted...

Come through to Woodmead, We'll give you a run through of all the options, really its your choice in the end. As for looks, the Euroway G2 3bike goes pretty well with most cars. As for the melting of tyre's/ bike rack, we have a plate which we can rivet on the rack, in front of the exhaust. (to prevent such things)

I solved my problem by installing a "drop plate" upside down - effectively lifting the rack above the flow of the exhaust. But I dont really use my towbar for towing stuff really, so only had to remove the drop plate once.

Question, is it only the 4L petrol that has this issue?

Question, is it only the 4L petrol that has this issue?

Nope the issues I saw was on a Diesel.

hAHA the fumes burnt my rack as well. Luckily Thule sent me replacement parts free of charge. Had to modify my exhaust. Look 695, maybe rack your bike on the last spot in case it melts the number 1 slot so that your wheel doesn't melt with it. From the photo I would have to say yes it will burn it for sure. (but I aint the expert)

Or go to your local garage and have them grind off a small piece of the exhaust. Worked for me.

a mate of mine lost 2 wheels and tyres with the clip on thule on his tuna. did not look at the exhaust.

• 3 weeks later...

I made my own plate for the Fortuner. Took an old house for sale sign, cut it with tin snips, spray painted it black and pop riveted it to the Thule rack where the exhaust blows. Over 5000km of towing my bikes and not a single issue. Cost, 10 bucks. Time, 30min.

I made my own plate for the Fortuner. Took an old house for sale sign, cut it with tin snips, spray painted it black and pop riveted it to the Thule rack where the exhaust blows. Over 5000km of towing my bikes and not a single issue. Cost, 10 bucks. Time, 30min.

Now, see here. That's the wrong approach entirely. I mean, think about it yourself and finding a solution instead of blaming and swearing and buying your way out of a little problem like that.

I mean, who needs common sense!?

Just be careful when purchasing. I had my Thule for about 4 years. When i bought myself a Fortuner the exhaust burnt the plastic bit on the rack that holds the front wheel. They now make a s/s plate to stop this but it only fits the "G6" which is R9000. I have Just ordered a G3 and will go to an engineering shop to have a plate made up to fit to deflect the exhaust gasses.

Simple solution:when I bought my Fortuner I went to the local exhaust shop and the welded a pipe with a slight bend that points downwards onto the exhaust. Like you see on many cars nowadays where the exhaust points downwards instead of straight. No problems at all after that. Here is a pic as an example

post-36051-0-34761400-1388907840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal