UCI/CSA rules

dirtrider

At one of the recent races we got told the no sleeves thing has something to do with higher vulnerability to collar bone breakage.

mp3 players and helmut cams bans I will go with, but this is a serias nanny rule

I fix many clavicle fractures every year and I can confidently say the type of shirt makes no difference to the outcome. Should rather ban Lycra on people built like me- boep and lardass (until they do I will continue to offend).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fix many clavicle fractures every year and I can confidently say the type of shirt makes no difference to the outcome. Should rather ban Lycra on people built like me- boep and lardass (until they do I will continue to offend).

So then it's bollox? Surely the CSA should be challenged on this then.

I was involved in a small study in rugby players. It appears that the shoulderpads they wear is the minimum required to make any noticable difference. As someone previously said - the sun and sun related cancer is much more dangerous. They should rather check everyone for sunscreen!

By the CSA or by the race organizers?

From CSA's MTB race rules: This is all it says regarding clothing.

Got fined for not wearing a shirt with sleaves.

You guys are aware that the clothing rules are different for road and mtb? And that the clothing rules are different depending on the type of license you hold? On road anyway, dunno about mtb.

You guys are aware that the clothing rules are different for road and mtb? And that the clothing rules are different depending on the type of license you hold? On road anyway, dunno about mtb.

The quotes in question, from me, was for MTB. The problems experienced at races with organizers telling people to wear sleeved shirts, was at MTB races.

I checked the road race rules and could not find anything about it, but you could arguably put it down to what the shirt should look like with the sponsors decals. No one should be seen cycling with a sleeveless shirt on a roadbike anyhow :P (not on a mtb either :P )

Is a shirt with no sleeves still a shirt, or is it a vest or a singlet? So by stating shirt or jersey are sleeves not automatically implied?

EDIT.......................................:

sin·glet /ˈsiNGglit/

A sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt.

Synonyms: undershirt - vest - undervest - shirt

vest /vest/

A close-fitting waist-length garment, typically having no sleeves or collar and buttoning down the front.

Synonyms: waistcoat - undershirt - singlet

shirt /SHərt/

A garment for the upper body made of cloth, with a collar, sleeves, and buttons down the front.

A similar garment of stretchable material with few or no buttons, typically worn as casual wear or for sports.

Synonyms: blouse - chemise - shimmy

jer·sey/ˈjərzē/

A knitted garment with long sleeves worn over the upper body.

A distinctive shirt worn by a player or competitor in certain sports

Edited by robox

Is a shirt with no sleeves still a shirt

Yes, according to wikipedia, but you never know which troll contributed that page...

Yes, according to wikipedia, but you never know which troll contributed that page...

Give me a choice between the dictionary and wikipedia... Dictionary all the way!

Edit:

Seems like a toss up between American English and British English...

All the Americans can do is eat junk food and lose stupid wars. Sticking to the British thanks. At least their sit-coms are funny!

Edited by robox

Give me a choice between the dictionary and wikipedia... Dictionary all the way!

My point exactly.

Is a shirt with no sleeves still a shirt, or is it a vest or a singlet? So by stating shirt or jersey are sleeves not automatically implied?

EDIT.......................................:

sin·glet /ˈsiNGglit/

A sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt.

Synonyms: undershirt - vest - undervest - shirt

vest /vest/

A close-fitting waist-length garment, typically having no sleeves or collar and buttoning down the front.

Synonyms: waistcoat - undershirt - singlet

shirt /SHərt/

A garment for the upper body made of cloth, with a collar, sleeves, and buttons down the front.

A similar garment of stretchable material with few or no buttons, typically worn as casual wear or for sports.

Synonyms: blouse - chemise - shimmy

jer·sey/ˈjərzē/

A knitted garment with long sleeves worn over the upper body.

A distinctive shirt worn by a player or competitor in certain sports

So, if anyone from CSA says anything about your cycling top, tell em it's a shimmy, and ride off while they try figure it out?

So, if anyone from CSA says anything about your cycling top, tell em it's a shimmy, and ride off while they try figure it out?

I've got a shimmy on my torso and a shammy in my pants....?

I presume tri-suits and triathlon not covered by the 'no sleeveless rule' ?

Different governing body than cycling, or running for that matter.

Another difference: In ITU (tri) events you are required to wear shoes when running, not so in IAAF (athletics) events.

Banning MP3 players is a great idea. GoPros on the helmet a good idea. Shirtsleeves is probably for neatness? We don't want roadies looking like blerrie MTBers...

I've heard a few interpretations of the MP3 and go/pro rules.

Try these ones... whistling.gif

A go-pro protruding from a helmet could cause extra leverage during a collision, putting extra pressure on the neck and causing greater injury.

An audio device can be used by an athlete to "pace" themselves over extended distances and thus gain an unfair advantage.

I've heard a few interpretations of the MP3 and go/pro rules.

Try these ones... whistling.gif

A go-pro protruding from a helmet could cause extra leverage during a collision, putting extra pressure on the neck and causing greater injury.

An audio device can be used by an athlete to "pace" themselves over extended distances and thus gain an unfair advantage.

Truth? Helmet has a hard shell so it does not snag on something if you fall. Go-Pro/light/whatever on your helmet provides a snag point.... Whiplash etc?

Truth? Helmet has a hard shell so it does not snag on something if you fall. Go-Pro/light/whatever on your helmet provides a snag point.... Whiplash etc?

That's what I heard. I'd believe it based on crash helmet research like SuperSkin