650B is NOT 27.5"

Eldron

Out of interest, what rim / tyre combo did you go for?

oh - and my view on the whole thing is that unless you're going for high volume tires, the move to 650 does not make sense. You should rather just go for high volume 26" tires.

That is my choice. You are fully entitled to an opinion.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so here's my ignorance shining through, what is the 650 for? And what is the 'B' for?

For your enlightement eager one:

650[Letter]

In the French sizing system, tires are designated by a three-digit number, which may be followed by a letter. The number is the nominal outside diameter of the tire the rim was originally designed for. The absence of a letter indicated a narrow tire; "A", "B" and "C" indicated increasingly wider tires."A" was originally a tire about 30 mm wide, so the 650A rim is pretty large, 590 mm. If you add the top and bottom 30 mm tire thickness to 590, you wind up with the 650 mm tire diameter.

The 650C size was originally intended for a quite wide tire, about 40 mm wide. Top and bottom 40 mm tire plus the 571 mm rim size again bring you to a 650 mm outside diameter, even though the rim was smaller.

With time, however evolutionary processes have led to different widths of tires being applied to the rim, so the nominal 650 mm designation is now more theoretical than practical.

•597 mm, 650, is the same as the British 26 x 1 1/4" size used on club bicycles, and was also adopted by Schwinn for use on 3-speeds with a 1 3/8" wide tire. This size is seen less and less, as the bicycles which use it become rare.

•590 mm, 650A, also called 26 x 1 3/8", is the size used on the classic English 3-speed. There's nothing theoretically wrong with this size (other than confusion with the Schwinn size!), but the selection of tires and rims available for it is pretty scanty these days.

•571 mm, 650C, was originally a wide, balloon tire size, used on many older Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on triathlon bikes and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are mostly very narrow, intended for competition use.

•584 mm, 650B, is the focus of this article. This size, also known as 26 x 1 1/2", is most popular in France, where it was the traditional size for loaded touring bikes and tandems, as well as general utility bikes.

The 650B size was never common in the U.S., and it went into decline even in France with the advent of the mountain bike. However, there is a dedicated group of fans of this wheel size, who have been diligently working to restore it to its former glory.

The situation as far as tire and rim availability has lately taken a turn for the better, and the future looks rosy for 650B.

OK, so what you're trying to say here is that we can blame all this sh~t on The French?

I have no desire whatsoever to get drawn into an argument with you. Ive had my say, will find something else to entertain myself with for the rest of the afternoon

Relax ,I am not arguing.

I am asking a question, to which the answer will be yes.

Which now makes you a 650 b crusader.

I get equally annoyed with single speed evangelists, and I ride one myself.

That is my choice. You are fully entitled to an opinion.

Dude, I asked you a question. No reason to get defensive and abrasive.

I'll repeat the question though: What rim / tyre combo did you go for?

Edited by cptmayhem

Dude, what does it matter to you what people buy. Are you now a crusader for the rights of 650b buyers. That you should announce that they are actually being misled. Who gives a shite. People can buy just what they want to, it has absolutely nothing to do with you.

PUBLIC APOLOGY TO ELDRON.

Sorry Eldron, apparently the Agent got hyper here. Maybe I didnt sum the post up in the manner you where trying to convey it. No personal attack intended on you. Peace

I must admit - I was all a bit WHOA when I read that.

Just trying to edumacate people is all.

Tomorrow I suggest wearing one size bigger on the undies ;-)

Edit: Wicked - I just found out how to multi quote!

Edited by Eldron

Relax ,I am not arguing.

Oddly enough I'd like to build me a 650B SSer. Any excuse to build a bike is a good excuse. Plus the MonsterCross is almost finished now so I'm losing interest he he he.

The other thing that really pisses me off is Mars bars. I mean FFS they're made right here on earth.

Good choice on the ZTR's.

and re the tires - if you came from crossmarks, all is forgiven!

Hey, really? I thought you were more of an Arch man when it came to Stan's wheel?

Relax ,I am not arguing.

YES!

Oddly enough I'd like to build me a 650B SSer. Any excuse to build a bike is a good excuse. Plus the MonsterCross is almost finished now so I'm losing interest he he he.

The other thing that really pisses me off is Mars bars. I mean FFS they're made right here on earth.

Ag no man now I've had enough disappointment for one day, first I am not miss joy's only 'flame' and now this whistling.gif - sommer going home (oh no I am home, OK to the lounge away from the 'puters then)

Good choice on the ZTR's.

and re the tires - if you came from crossmarks, all is forgiven!

For us lycra lights those Shield's rock. Light as hell, super fast rolling and they never get dirty (cos they wear out in 10 days).

Ag no man now I've had enough disappointment for one day, first I am not miss joy's only 'flame' and now this whistling.gif - sommer going home (oh no I am home, OK to the lounge away from the 'puters then)

The word you're looking for is....beer :-)

OK, so what you're trying to say here is that we can blame all this sh~t on The French?

Oui! Bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

*thank you Jeremy Clarkson.