Merida 96 26er to 650b?

martinsnyman

Wondered about that a while ago, but I doubt whether there's enough space/clearance between the rear wheel for any bigger wheel to fit.

Apparently Omnico released a statement saying that if you convert to 650b using fox fork, the warranty is void.

Apparently if you go down a drop off as big as a house, and the shock bottoms out, the crown can stop the wheel, causing immediate facial distortion.

apparently lethal...

I am also converting my chinese blank carbon frame I used as a training bike.

It has an epicon (suntour) shock, lots of clearance..

getting my frame back today after having it spraypanted white, build should be done next week.

Apparently if you go down a drop off as big as a house, and the shock bottoms out, the crown can stop the wheel, causing immediate facial distortion.

apparently lethal...

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Brilliant!!!

I pull those over the bar moves in Groenkloof without the front wheel stopping! That section before the little river gets me time and time again!

Where does one get these 650b wheels from that are not expensive? The only wheel that I know of that is commercially available is the ZTR and they come in at a whopping R6 000 for a set. i am looking for something cheaper

Where does one get these 650b wheels from that are not expensive? The only wheel that I know of that is commercially available is the ZTR and they come in at a whopping R6 000 for a set. i am looking for something cheaper

Build your own, you can get rims locally

http://www.buycycle.co.za/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=444

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/stans-no-tubes-ztr-crest-650b-rim

or on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/Rims-Hubs-/36143/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=650b

Then find some hubs locally or on CRC etc and get your wheels built as you want, either build yourself or go to a wheel builder.

More and more LBS as well as online are getting 650B tyres, although 2.1 are difficult to come by as most stock 2.25 or 2.35 (tyres not cheap)

• 9 months later...

I train on a converted spark rc with fox fork...works great..only problem is the bb hight is 1.5 inches higher thus higher centte of gravity. Great for not hitting pedals while riding single track, but "pitches" you out of tight corners if cornering at speed.but fine for training and def. Better than 26. A good compromise .

Merida 96 3000D:

26" with 2.1 Crossmark leave 10mm gap between the wheel and rear chainstay arch - can't see 650B working unless you fit a really small volume rear tyre - which will practically be the same size than a larger volume 26" tyre...