Buying a new road bike

Desi

My hubby is looking for a new road bike. So... how does one make the final choice?

The bike will be a 'high end' bike, so all of the bikes in this range are very good bikes, and can all do the job required. All of the bikes, with a good fitting, will fit him. Any of these bikes can be fitted with any components, so components won't be the deciding factor. Without going ridiculous, he can afford any of the bikes, so price will not necessarily be the deciding factor. The bike must be available from, or through a local bike shop. In most cases, a test ride is not possible, so it makes it difficult to ride before he buys.

So what makes any of these bikes stand out from the crowd? What compelling reason is there to buy any of these bikes before any other?

Bikes on the list are:

Cervelo

Specialized

Cannondale

Pinarello

Scott

Fondriest

Neil Pryde (a new addition to the list ... anyone have any experience?)

Giant (his current bike is a Giant; he'd like to try something different)

Focus

Any thoughts?

My hubby is looking for a new road bike. So... how does one make the final choice?

The bike will be a 'high end' bike, so all of the bikes in this range are very good bikes, and can all do the job required. All of the bikes, with a good fitting, will fit him. Any of these bikes can be fitted with any components, so components won't be the deciding factor. Without going ridiculous, he can afford any of the bikes, so price will not necessarily be the deciding factor. The bike must be available from, or through a local bike shop. In most cases, a test ride is not possible, so it makes it difficult to ride before he buys.

So what makes any of these bikes stand out from the crowd? What compelling reason is there to buy any of these bikes before any other?

Bikes on the list are:

Cervelo

Specialized

Cannondale

Pinarello

Scott

Fondriest

Neil Pryde (a new addition to the list ... anyone have any experience?)

Giant (his current bike is a Giant; he'd like to try something different)

Focus

Any thoughts?

For me it would be

1) How hot it is

2) After Sales Service

Anyone used the Di2? It is available and possibly affordable... but I'm not convinced yet.

I only did a test ride on it before for a couple of km's - its awesome

but probably not needed

For me it would be

1) How hot it is

2) After Sales Service

After sales service is very important - this is why we'd like to buy through a local bike shop.

Fantastic bike list. If that was my list I would narrow it down to Cervelo and Pinarello and the Fondriest is starting to grow on me as well.

Edited by SyncSA

In this order:

After Sales Service

Weight of complete build and how good it looks

Pricing (if this wasn't an issue)

Hi Desi

Please give me a call on 083 6404823. I am sure that we can arrange a demo Fondriest for him.

Will do, Chris. CWC comes to the party again!

Important factors...

Budget,

Husband's specifications ( weight, height),

Riding abilities and goals.

Firstly he needs to get an Ergofit or BG fit to rule out which frames not too buy. You have to consider top tube and head tube dimensions. Not all of us can fit comfortably on an Evo or Tarmac witout fitting 5 spacers and a 70mm stem. Then you have to ask does he want a plush or a racing bike. Sounds like you want to spend quite a bit. Don't get rushed into buying the first good deal that comes along.

Anyone used the Di2? It is available and possibly affordable... but I'm not convinced yet.

Rode a test bike for a while with it - very nice - makes some odd noises from time to time that are disconcerting, but you get used to it aligning the chain for you.

I would look at the warrantee conditions and after sales service - 2 of my 3 road bikes are from the same supplier for one reason - my mate hit a car and wrote off a frame - supplier said "Heard you crashed - glad you are ok, sorry your bike is broken, here is a new frame for you" can't argue with that.... :)

Important factors...

Budget,

Husband's specifications ( weight, height),

Riding abilities and goals.

Firstly he needs to get an Ergofit or BG fit to rule out which frames not too buy. You have to consider top tube and head tube dimensions. Not all of us can fit comfortably on an Evo or Tarmac witout fitting 5 spacers and a 70mm stem. Then you have to ask does he want a plush or a racing bike. Sounds like you want to spend quite a bit. Don't get rushed into buying the first good deal that comes along.

This is a big spend, so we're doing our homework first. Actually, I'm doing the homework; he's doing the final choosing and paying! :) He's done an ergofit ... that may rule out some frames, which I hadn't considered. Plush or racing ... whichever takes his fancy. He's not a race snake, but rides hard and does a respectable time (for an old man!). Just did 3:09 in the 94.7.

Actually, I'm doing the homework; he's doing the final choosing and paying! smile.png

You are a queen amongst women. All men should be so lucky :)

Mine fetches me new kit on her trips overseas, but no "I've researched these bikes for you. Pick one"