Bike case/bag

Martinb

Was just looking at cases yesterday - are the Racecase ones any good?

They look kinda soft in pictures, doesn't seem to be much protection from airline baggage handlers throwing them around and generally squashing them with heavy stuff.

I was looking at the Polaris EVA Pod (available on BuyCycle) and Bike Box Alan (UK only and lot more pricey).

The racecase is cheaper though, and local is good - if it's tough enough.

Edited by walkerr

The Polaris is a nice case - my training partner has one, and fits a 29er in fine - with a bit of dissasembly (seatpost and bars off)

I have the racecase and it is definately tough enough - flown probably easily 50 flights with it, including to EU, and never had any bike damage at all - touch wood, although they have changed the design a bit compared to mine, which is one of the originals - needs some re-engineering to fit a bike with a thru rear axel now (which is why the design changed) and they are happy to do that for me.

I had a Racetec Compact and it was pretty robust. I got rid of it because it only opened at the top and was a mission to pack. I think they may now have changed the design so it opens on the side, though.

The Polaris is a nice case - my training partner has one, and fits a 29er in fine - with a bit of dissasembly (seatpost and bars off)

I have the racecase and it is definately tough enough - flown probably easily 50 flights with it, including to EU, and never had any bike damage at all - touch wood, although they have changed the design a bit compared to mine, which is one of the originals - needs some re-engineering to fit a bike with a thru rear axel now (which is why the design changed) and they are happy to do that for me.

Useful feedback - thanks. 50 flights is some testing, I've read reports where cases themselves have started breaking catches and stuff in less than that, let alone the bike inside.

I'm a bit paranoid - been training for months for a UK event next July. Would be gutted if bike got damaged on way there and blew all the hard work

I had a Racetec Compact and it was pretty robust. I got rid of it because it only opened at the top and was a mission to pack. I think they may now have changed the design so it opens on the side, though.

Cool - will check that when I investigate them more

You don't want to sit with a heavy and massive bike box when you are at the other side with a mid to small rental car.

That's also a factor. The Race Case Compact and my current case (BikND Helium) both fit onto the back seat of a Polo, Getz and Yaris.

Useful feedback - thanks. 50 flights is some testing, I've read reports where cases themselves have started breaking catches and stuff in less than that, let alone the bike inside.

I'm a bit paranoid - been training for months for a UK event next July. Would be gutted if bike got damaged on way there and blew all the hard work

is the TOUR starting in UK again next year?

If you don't mind the extra bulk, BikeSafe is great - minimal disassembly of the bike required.

Smaller bags like the Polaris are nifty but require the bike to be taken apart.

If you don't mind the extra bulk, BikeSafe is great - minimal disassembly of the bike required.

Smaller bags like the Polaris are nifty but require the bike to be taken apart.

Have seen those - like the idea of no disassembly - but not so much the idea of battling London Underground at rush hour with one

Edit:

How many hubbers have used these, # trips, experiences etc. Even with the hassle of a bigger/heavier case, it could still work for me if it is totally reliable in protecting from damage.

Edited by walkerr

Have seen those - like the idea of no disassembly - but not so much the idea of battling London Underground at rush hour with one

Edit:

How many hubbers have used these, # trips, experiences etc. Even with the hassle of a bigger/heavier case, it could still work for me if it is totally reliable in protecting from damage.

I use a Bikeboxalan (it is better than most other cases), around the UK reasonably often as well as to mainland Europe, you get stares from everyone, I would suggest you keep a box like that off the tube during rush hour, outside that no problem.

You may want to confirm charges by the airlines though - Air France just charged me GBP90 per flight to get a bikebox here, anmd GBP90 back too, while you can check a bike in a your normal luggage on BA (weight restrictions still apply)

when a flew to Joburg to the 94.7 now, I saw two guys wheeling in their fully assembled, not packaged at all bike to the check in counter - how does that work ?? Do the airlines carry bikes like that?

I use a Bikeboxalan (it is better than most other cases), around the UK reasonably often as well as to mainland Europe, you get stares from everyone, I would suggest you keep a box like that off the tube during rush hour, outside that no problem.

You may want to confirm charges by the airlines though - Air France just charged me GBP90 per flight to get a bikebox here, anmd GBP90 back too, while you can check a bike in a your normal luggage on BA (weight restrictions still apply)

That BikeBoxAlan is a fine piece of kit - shame it's so pricey, esp. when you add on shipping to SA