Planning on a first Tri

El Dodgius Bastardo

For your first swim just start on the outside of the mob and keep to the outside when you have to swim around bouys

+1. Best advice for a 1st open water swim. If you get caught in the washing machine 1st time round it can get a little rough ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howz the Total Immersion training going, you said something about going there?

For your first swim just start on the outside of the mob and keep to the outside when you have to swim around bouys, unless your at the back or front then you can swim right past the buoys. Dont panic or start to fast and make sure you swim in the right direction and breathe every stroke (left or right not left and right) and practise breathing on both sides as it helps spot where you are if the bank (land) is on the wrong side...easy huh? not so much to remember is it... LOL

Enjoy

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the 2 day classes were full this year and the only time they could do the 1 dayer was on a Sunday evening. So the video will have to suffice for now and if I still battle afterwards, I'll book the course in the new year

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the 2 day classes were full this year and the only time they could do the 1 dayer was on a Sunday evening. So the video will have to suffice for now and if I still battle afterwards, I'll book the course in the new year

Swimming is much easier if you have the basic technique right and its very difficult to correct yourself hence the need to have a good coach to watch and advise.

Until you can get the coaching you can also try correct yourself armed with a bit of "online knowledge" LOL.... get someone to video you (from above, front and behind) and then try and see what mistakes your making, refer to the swimsmooth website link below, they have some really good coaching tips and aids, for free as well.

For training plans

http://www.swimplan.com/index.php?pg=hme3

And for general swimming tips and technique

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Some other tips:

Practise your transistions and know exactly what you are going to do and in what order at each transistion, a good few minutes can be saved with efficient transistions.

If you can ride and run without socks (especialy on shorter distances) as putting on socks on wet feet also wastes time.

Watch the top guys they usualy have the transition process well worked out

thumbup1.gif

Put baby/talkum powder in your socks(then no issues with wet feet) and put them on unless you have Tri secific running shoes, takes jus a minute and you wont bleed.. like i did.

Also you will hyperventilate on your first open water and swallow some big gulps.. just relax and continue.. :-) ENLOY!

Thanks for the input. Swimming technique is probably my biggest concern. At the moment my swimming is based more on self preservation than effective propulsion. Having watched the TI video, there's a lot I can work on, but balance is probably the biggest thing

I'm not sure the total immersion technique is designed for tri athlon. I just cant see you being able to swim submerged in the washing machine that tri athlon creates. In a pool with lane dividers fine in rough open water where you have to keep looking up to orienteer yourself I'm not so sure.

Personally I think your money would be better spent in getting some lessons in the good old fashioned technique of free style swimming - oh and ask your instructor to whack you in the face every so often so you can get a realistic experience of a tri swim.

El Dogius send me your mail addy I have a nice check list of everything that you should pack and have for a tri which i will send through to you

Edited by The Saint

tis true that open water swimming and pool swimming requires a slightly different approach. I was watching a video of Jodie Swallow (who i think beat all the men in last years 70.3 swim) in the open water due to the chop she recomends a slightly shorter reach with a faster cycle as opposed to the long, smoth strokes of the pool where you rely a lot on glide. Technique can also go out of the window slightly when you are in a wetsuit and have limited range of motion, there is a lot more force placed on the shoulders but it does help with bouyancy.