Planning on a first Tri

El Dodgius Bastardo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the wolrd of tri, hope the tri bug bites hard (although your wallet will hope otherwise).

As someone who started tri only at the end of last year and now spend every spare cent and time on the sport, take my advice...

Resist the temptation to rush in and buy all the latest and best (and expensive) kit until you know the sport is something you want to invest in. Try borrow the expensive stuff like a bike and wetsuit until you want to take the plunge and put your cash into it.

Since you're starting off with the Joburg City, there is no need to get a wetsuit yet (and you wont' be able wear one in races until around April / May until it gets colder anyway). It may help your swimming, but training without a wetsuit makes you a better swimmer. The odd open water sim before the race will be useful if you've never done one before.

Don't buy a TT bike (yet) - you can't use one in sprint tris. Rather borrow or buy a second hand road bike (if you don't have one already). When you get up to Olympic discance and beyand, then you can either add clip-on tri bars, or start thinking about whether you want to invest in a Tri bike (but keep the road bike for sprints and training)...

Just buy tri shorts and a top for now (I think one-piece suits are a waste and when those pre-race nerves hit and you need to hit the portaloo, one-pieces are a bugger...) You can wear a speedo underneath if you want (I do), but watch out for chafing...

Nutirtion isn't really a factor on sprint tris - a bottle of energade and a GU got me through my first few sprint tris.

Finally, embrace the training and the challenge of doing three sports in one, and have fun in the race... Then, when you're fully hooked and dreaming of Ironmans etc, blow all your money on tri bikes, areo wheels and helmets, GPS HRMs, compression clothing, protein shakes, shoes and whatever else you can't resist!

I wish I was ready for Buffels. It sounds awesome!

LOL, wish I was ready.

Really need to get in the pool

The plan was to initially start with the Joburg City tri and build up for Bela Bela, so nothing over the top in terms of distance. I'd assume that a wetsuit would not be required as the temps should be good.

Agree with all the other guys, I started a year ago and cant stop!!

Some good advice and I think most points were mentioned....just one thing, the Bela Bela (5150) swim was wetsuit legal and cold this year eek.gif

I really want to get myself one before then...

Agree with all the other guys, I started a year ago and cant stop!!

Some good advice and I think most points were mentioned....just one thing, the Bela Bela (5150) swim was wetsuit legal and cold this year eek.gif

I really want to get myself one before then...

So what is legal / non-legal? Is it purely temperature based?

I wish I was ready for Buffels. It sounds awesome!

Do the light....its really not that bad, just 400m swim, MTB and run is quite tough, but you can take it easy, walk on the run.

It was my first one last year and I walked most of the run ph34r.png

So what is legal / non-legal? Is it purely temperature based?

"Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards.Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F."

So up to 24.5 is legal, and yes its only based on temps....

Nobody Cares! Its Multisport - just do your thing. No politics like roadies - everyone just has fun!

Brilliant, 'cause that could have been a deal breaker

As someone who did their first tri in December last year and did IM 70.3 a month later in Jan - it's a lot easier than it sounds and so much more fun than individual disciplines! The wetsuit was a definite winner for me - managed to get one from CRC at under R1k landed cost (local retail was R2.8k)... I still struggle with the cold even with a wetsuit, but it's a lot easier for us amateur swimmers if you're a little more comfortable in the water and not fighting the cold too much as well! I am busy building my TT bike now, but the road bike was perfect for a decent time at IM 70.3 so really not an important investment.

"Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards.Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F."

So up to 24.5 is legal, and yes its only based on temps....

This isn't the only factor. Officials call whether a race is "suit legal" on the morning of race day. At 11 Global the other week, the water temp was 22 and they announced that suits may not be used... So don't bank on it. Always be prepared to swim without and have the suit in case you can use it :)

There is the BSG sprint tri in Vanderbjyl (spelling? sorry) on the 2nd Dec, but not sure if entries have closed or not. If it is, you may be able to get an entry from someone. The BSG's are really fun and there are loads of non-sporty people who do them. So you won't finish near the back :)

This isn't the only factor. Officials call whether a race is "suit legal" on the morning of race day. At 11 Global the other week, the water temp was 22 and they announced that suits may not be used... So don't bank on it. Always be prepared to swim without and have the suit in case you can use it smile.png

Interesting, did not know that, thought it was just up to temps. (that the organizers then announce prior to the race)