Planning on a first Tri

El Dodgius Bastardo

So I've decided to enter the dark and murky world of multisport.

In order to get myself ready for Feb, I've signed up for some swimming lessons with total immersion (trust me, I need it) and a running programme.

In terms of kit, what do I need? Obviously bike, shoes, helmet, etc...

From a transition perspective, when and where do you change from cozzie to tri-shorts?

Is there anything that I specifically need to be aware of?

Wetsuit? Do I need one?

So many questions...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing: use the tri shorts throughout including swim, they have thin chamios for that reason to swim.

Short distance (sprint, olympic and even half) you can use a single piece. For full, go two piece tri suit

Wetsuit: toss up and personal preference. I go on water temp, 18 and below definitely. It also helps with bouyancy A LOT!

So practice getting out of a suit (use suit-jiuce or similiar lube), if yu quick getting it off, use that to your advantage, otherwise save time not worrying about it

Most races excluding the half and full ironman (sea swims) I have done without wetsuit now and its fine

Nutrition is a big one...start experimenting now and find something that suits you specifically, its all a personal game there, but vital to have nutrition on olympic and further

Transition runs: one of the most important. Start practicing now once a week at least. Do your ride and then come straight off and run 4k HARD to get used to that feeling of transition run, dont leave it till the race

Otherwise, tips will stream in, triathletes are always very accommodating with advice!

Most tris: swim in the tri shorts. You're not allowed to strip down. At Ironman, there's a tent.

You only need a wetsuit when it's cold (less than 14 degrees?) according to the rules. A good-fitting wetsuit will make the swim faster, though. When it's warm, you're not allowed a wetsuit.

You should really get some goggles (possibly tinted for open water), and a brightly visible swim cap. Some races provide a swim cap, some don't. The rules state: not black, blue or green (IIRC), something the lifeguards can see.

You need sunscreen.

I did my first tri a few weeks ago - my advice would be to get some open water swimming experience in before first tri. I found that everything I practiced in the pool, (tempo, stroke, breathing, etc) was forgotten in the first 20 meters of the open water. And practice your brick training (two disciplines one immediately after the other).

In terms of clothing - if its one of the shorter tris in Jhb, you can use a tri suit to swim, cycle and run with no need to change. if you do wear a wetsuit, you would be able to pull it off and leave at your "station" with the rest of your gear when you cycle/run - make sure you have a tri shorts underneath though. I don't have one so can't comment further.

In terms of kit, over and above your regular cycling kit and tri shorts, you need swim goggles and running shoes - you may get the swim cap with the entry.

Rule no. 1 - no cozzie, wear your tri pants for the swim, either under your wetsuit or as your cozzie. I would recommend brand like 2xu, skinfit, orca. If you are not a natural swimmer you should invest in a wetsuit - it helps a lot on the swim, extra bouyancy. You generally change next to your bike in the transition area unless its IM where you have nags and go to a change tent. welcome to TRI!

The plan was to initially start with the Joburg City tri and build up for Bela Bela, so nothing over the top in terms of distance. I'd assume that a wetsuit would not be required as the temps should be good.

And where do you practice open water swimming in Jozi? The Jukskei looks a touch rough

Emmerentia

Hey Bastardo. Welcome to multisport - you won't regret it other than it becomes REALLY addictive!

Some key learning points from my experience (Not that it's much):

1) Nutrition is VITAL - your body does a lot of work and different work. It's totally different from just cycling, running or swimming. Remember that you don't take on anything during the swim, so I suggest getting some energy in in juice form prior to start. Especially when getting into anything close to olympic distance (1500m). This is not for the swim, but more for the first part of the bike.

2) Remember that the bike is the longest part of any tri. So don't neglect that. Most of your time will be lost or gained here.

3) Most people struggle with the swim to start with and put most if not all their focus into it. This is a mistake. Swim regularly and start stringing together the laps. Over time your swimming confidence and ability will improve. This doesn't happen over night. Get out and do some open water swims as these are vastly different to pool swimming. Try get out even in some not so nice weather as race day isn't always perfect. Especially get out when a bit windy to help you get used to swimming with some choppy water. There is a place out near the cradle where you can do this http://www.lake-heritage.co.za/ Take the bike and running togs with and do your own tri :)

4) Practice transition. Work out what you need and in what order. Prepare before the race so you know what to expect on race day. There are a ton of youtube videos that will help you fill in the stuff you probably haven't thought about yet.

5) Don't stress about transitions. You will get better and quicker at them the more events you do. I try to focus on getting my heart rate down between the swim and the bike. All the "chaos" of transition can push the HR up quite a bit.

6) Run off the bike, a lot... and then do it some more. Your legs are not used to this change so prepare them. Remember that on race day you work at least 10% harder than training so do some HARD runs off the bike too.

7) Wetsuits are needed for cold swims, anything below 18 degrees is wetsuit legal and it's generally necessary (Can't participate without one) under 14 degrees. I can handle anything to around 16 degrees, but the suit is definitely worth it. Wait till you need it though if cash is tight.

8) Do NOT feel like you need to get a TT bike, yet. A decent road bike is sufficient until you want to start really pushing your limits and maybe competing.

I hope this helps a bit. Shout if you have any specific questions or want to get together for some training sessions. I live in Hyde park.

Scrumpy out

And where do you practice open water swimming in Jozi? The Jukskei looks a touch rough

Bunch of our guys generally swim in Emmarentia every Wednesday and Friday at around 5:20pm (weather dependent). From relative beginners to IronMan swimmers, so should find someone at every level, and some to offer wisdom. Feel free to join.

Scrumpy covered most of it thumbup1.gif

My 1 tip - whatever happens in the swim - just keep swimming! DONT STOP!

The rest will fall in place as you go - running off the bike is always hard - just put away your lipstic, HTFU and get going!

Enjoy. There is a short tri in 2 weeks just outside PTA if you like. Small crowd. Check www.sbrevents.co.za.

Bunch of our guys generally swim in Emmarentia every Wednesday and Friday at around 5:20pm (weather dependent). From relative beginners to IronMan swimmers, so should find someone at every level, and some to offer wisdom. Feel free to join.

was just about to ask if there was anything like this... Keen to join prob won't make today though. Are there any swims on the weekends as well?

What the water temp like?