Full suspension bike, up to 25k

Craigwt

My friend was riding a 26er Trance, I gave him a test ride on Oak Valley on my Anthem 29er. One week later he had got an Anthem.

So the moral of the story...get a 29er trance

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to everyone :)

Seems like there aren't any major disagreements and some of you are even confirming what I have read for myself about the bike over the last few days... That the trance is a very versatile bike, that it does almost as good a job as the anthem in most areas and out performs it in others... Would this be fair to say?

So the moral of the story...get a 29er trance

Exactly.

Bergie seems to be forcing his his view of "recreational riding" on everyone. Recreational riding is not best done on a 100mm xc machine. That is a fact. They are too twitchy, too light and too nervous to be used as a recreational bike, despite what the South African market thinks.

Recreational bikes (bikes used for fun and play) should be looked at in the Trail / All Mountain category. They're built stronger, can take bigger hits and are... guess what... more comfortable!

In fact, the terrain in RSA is ideally suited to a machine with 130-170mm travel. Why? Because it varies so much, and it's that ability to go up a little slower, and down a helluva lot more comfortably, that should eb concentrated on. Not the endless pursuit of raciness and weighlessness, when you're not even using the bike to win races.

If you're looking for fun, rather go for the Trance. It WILL give you endless amounts / hours of fun, and still be hugely impressive up the hills.

Thank you to everyone smile.png

Seems like there aren't any major disagreements and some of you are even confirming what I have read for myself about the bike over the last few days... That the trance is a very versatile bike, that it does almost as good a job as the anthem in most areas and out performs it in others... Would this be fair to say?

The ONLY place an anthem would beat it is in climbing ability on non-technical trails, aka Jeep Track. The TRANCE 29er's wheelbase is shorter than that of the anthem, and along with the extra travel, that makes climbing technical terrain that much easier. Trust me, it is true that more travel = better traction over rocks, roots etc.

The Trance will whip it's sorry ass in all other areas. Descending, technical terrain, stability, comfort, you name it.

The Trance 29er is one superb trail bike, but you stated "get fit/go fast". First decide if you want to do trail riding or xc or endurance. A good 100mm travel 29er dually like the Anthem 29er is very versatile for messing around on trails but also can go fast.

Ever ridden a proper trail bike before?

Trail bikes can be fast as well, you just need to allow time for your riding style to adapt to the bike.

In my experience the bike I am the fastest on is the one I did the most training on.

For your regular recreational rider who do a few events per year without competing in his age category a trail bike is the ultimate machine, because you can really hone your skills and have fun on technical trails as well.

Go for the Trance, I have a Trance 26 x2 and a Anthem 29er x1. To be quite honest with you I ride the Trance more than the Anthem. the Anthem is great for Jeep tracks, stage races and long 1 day events like the Karoo to Coast, but the Trance is far more comfortable on single track and is fine on hills and the open stuff.

Can somebody explain to me why it was decided that a XC bike is better for dirt roads like Karoo to Coast than a trail bike. How is the steeper head angle beneficial when you are going in a straight line?

Why so? The Meta is a very nice bike!

Yeah, me, you and sir m knows this but the rest of the thread is trying to find a 29er "play" type of trail bike. Don't bother = trying to change the mentality.

Yeah, me, you and sir m knows this but the rest of the thread is trying to find a 29er "play" type of trail bike. Don't bother = trying to change the mentality.

Rofl. He was asking about anthem 29 vs Trance 29.

Me, I'm just building up a Reign X! That's definitely a sixxer!

Of course, the other option is a brand new reign.

Comes standard with dropper, 720mm bar and chain guide, slx parts kit and their own wheelset. Cost? 25k.

Bargain of the century. And a very, very capable bike. I know okes on reigns that do the multi day events and absolutely love their bikes.

Yip. Because 29er make you faster :D

Me, I'm just building up a Reign X! That's definitely a sixxer!

Based on the terrain he will be riding the Reign X will the best option. Would love to see the progress on your build.

Although it will bring tears to my eyes, you can have this baby for R22.5k. Dont bother with the Trances and Anthems, this puppy will take you places you can only dream about...Bargain of the month...

post-12678-0-97283500-1353998477_thumb.jpg