[Event] 2014 Funky Fynbos Festival MTB And Trail Run, Gansbaai

Goosebay

I love these little 'taste tester' video's,just makes me even more exited to do this event.

Looking forward to doing more than just the district roads to BBos and back.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are making a weekend of this one. Mtb Saterday morning, fishing comp in the afternoon and the 30km trail run on Sunday. The only problem is that I won't be back in time for the bokke game on saterday.

Noooo, this sounds like my type of race, but sadly I have to take my son to a kiddies party on the same day :-(

The 10km has now got a total elevation of about 200m, normally it is a spoon route, but due to the activities at Flowervalley we can't use the same route back. It has actually been a blessing as the new route is much better, even though it is a little harder on the legs.

Below is a photo of the highest point on the 10km, you climb from the bluegums you see in the valley.

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/News%20pictures/10km%20high%20point.jpg

On the second climb of the 40km you get to a beacon frequented by the Grootbos quests as it has an almost 360 degree view of the area, from Pearly beach to the Akkedisberg (Salmonsdam) to the Hermanus mountains.

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/News%20pictures/helderfontein.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in. Hope it's as rough as it looks. Looking forward to a bit of a challenge.

Edited by N_Nick.

Yeah,from the videos it looks like a nice,rough,non pampered trail,with some nice climbs and rewarding downhills.

I might opt to ride this one and enjoy the scenic views rather than race it.

Yeah,from the videos it looks like a nice,rough,non pampered trail,with some nice climbs and rewarding downhills.

that is the only way to ride a bicycle on tracks and paths you are only likely to see once a year. and in reasonable pristine fynbos during the flowers season :) heaven and not to mention the before and after party might limit

That will be the best way to do it! The guys that have raced it said it is very hard! A section has been added in the middle of the 40km to give the legs some rest, but generally if you're not going up, you're going down - long stretches at a time. There is lots of variation in the track as well, so no time to get bored