The Argument For Short Travel Bikes (article on Pinkbike)

wesley_r

Guest Omega Man

I have a pair, but they got splashed with mud on the practice run, and I didn't feel like scratching them while cleaning. I think the look is more like "oh #$%#$, I'm heading right for the root I told myself I'd miss!"

On my first race run a HUGE gust of wind hit me as I was jumping that double after the road gap. I crapped myself so much. The bike deff saved me. I crapped myself so much and the wind was humping so hard that i couldn't jump the next 3 jumps. I was so bummed cos there was a photag at the 3rd jump and I wanted to get my George Michael on (tail out) but i saw the dude drop the camera down cos he could see I was hardly moving.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my first race run a HUGE gust of wind hit me as I was jumping that double after the road gap. I crapped myself so much. The bike deff saved me. I crapped myself so much and the wind was humping so hard that i couldn't jump the next 3 jumps. I was so bummed cos there was a photag at the 3rd jump and I wanted to get my George Michael on (tail out) but i saw the dude drop the camera down cos he could see I was hardly moving.

So that was the smell!

Guest Omega Man

Getting back on topic here. The powers that be in WP Downhill (Vince) are thinking about introducing an Enduro class to next year's DH series.

Reduced entry fee but no access to the shuttles. There's more than enough time to get back up the hill between runs.

Thoughts?

Getting back on topic here. The powers that be in WP Downhill (Vince) are thinking about introducing an Enduro class to next year's DH series.

Reduced entry fee but no access to the shuttles. There's more than enough time to get back up the hill between runs.

Thoughts?

clap.gif

Thoughts?

If I understand you right it doesn't quite sound like Enduro though. Or am I missing something?

If I understand you right it doesn't quite sound like Enduro though. Or am I missing something?

I understand it more as a way for someone to tentatively get into the sport?

Guest Omega Man

No. It's not enduro. Basically the enduro guys will get to compete in a timed dh race but in their own class. Their own competition. almost a stand alone mini enduro.

They will get 2 timed runs the same as the okes on full dh rigs but they won't have access to the shuttles so they still earn their turns or whatever the terminology is. So you get to compete against your mates with proper timing but without the pressure of hitting the big gaps.

It kind of came up recently with the tokai race. lots of okes have AM bikes and ride the tokai DH track on their AM bikes and are keen to do a little racing but not keen to feel the pressure of having Pottie chasing them down.

Edited by Omega Man

After the excitement of reading the first post RE this, would that not be what the sports class is for?

Guest Omega Man

After the excitement of reading the first post RE this, would that not be what the sports class is for?

Yeah kinda but there's loads of guys who have full rigs that run in the sports class cos they don't want to race or feel intimidated or whatever. So that stays.

This is for the guys who ride 6 inch bikes and can ride down the DH tracks but never race. I've seen loads of okes pinning down the dh track and the snake trails at tokai on their AM bikes that could easily hold their own at a DH race. Those okes can have their own class and compete with each other.

Edited by Omega Man

A trail bike cat with the shuttle still running ... I like the idea of what you are wanting to do, but I also like the idea of a free ride back up the hill :)

Guest Omega Man

A trail bike cat with the shuttle still running ... I like the idea of what you are wanting to do, but I also like the idea of a free ride back up the hill smile.png

Sure. Look the concept needs to be defined and I sure as hell would vote for the shuttle. Especially at a place like the Contemans Kloof Desert.

@Omega: I think it's a cool idea and certainly is a good start. I'm sure it will inevitably result in more DH racers too as riders get more confident and willing to spend money on bigger rigs. Can only be good. I'd be dead keen on Enduro racing.

Horses for courses...

Back when I started riding we used to RACE rigid bikes downhill... with f...all brakes.

Yes - I was there, as well as many luminaries (very old...) of the current SA biking scene - see who you recognise in the clip.

Horses for courses...

Back when I started riding we used to RACE rigid bikes downhill... with f...all brakes.

Yes - I was there, as well as many luminaries (very old...) of the current SA biking scene - see who you recognise in the clip.

WTF .... moonbags on some of the riders ... they deserved to crash!

Are you not happy that the bikes have improved a bizzilion fold since then!