The Argument For Short Travel Bikes (article on Pinkbike)

wesley_r

he knows that one bike like the contours of his beloved!

Haha, excellent analogy!

You're right though, it's all about being one with whatever (or whoever, in this case laugh.png!) you're riding.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is going back the other way after riding a longer travel, slacker full squish bike. They so forgiving when you get your line wrong, and you tend to ride it like that, knowing you can get away with it.

Rode my 26" hard tail this past weekend and nearly killed myself .. smile.png

You have to be very calculating and precise on a hard tail and choose your lines carefully, whereas on a longer travel full Susser you can be more adventurous.

true that! I did a drop off the other day on my BMX and I nearly crapped when I landed :( So used to my long travel bike and letting it do all the work.

Valid arguments on both sides here.

Like Nige, I learnt to ride on a rigid bike in 1989, then a hardtail with a 50mm fork, then a 75mm fork, and so forth. In general, I'm a much more in-control rider today because I got the basics right without fancy suspension. Like he said, we were racing DH in the late nineties with 4" of travel.

BUT, having recently returned to DH (and still sucking due to my almost 10 year absence), I've been amazed by how much new skill I've learnt in a few months by having a proper 8" DH bike. Stuff I would never have even attempted on my 5.5" bike previously. Now though, I would, because I know what's possible, and becoming comfortable with it on the big bike with its forgiveness has made a world of difference.

Case in point: My brother has rapidly become a very good DH rider over the last year, and now when we go out with his trail bike, he absolutely rips on it. I mean, the guy launches and properly clears all the road gaps at Conters on his Meta 5.5! Yes, it's borderline pushing it for the bike, but I don't think he would have even thought about attempting it had he not learnt to do it on the 10" Intense first.

Either way, long or short travel, I will keep on riding all my bikes: hardtail, 5.5" and 8"!

I would really love to see him clearing the road gaps on that bike and also to chat with you boys to see how to improve!

Guest Omega Man

and also to chat with you boys to see how to improve!

Careful who you take advice from. Lot's of pitlane pro's on here bru. The ability to type an eloquent message does not necessarily translate into the ability to ride well. I'm of course talking about myself here.

Edited by Omega Man

Careful who you take advice from. Lot's of pitlane pro's on here bru. The ability to type an eloquent message does not necessarily translate into the ability to ride well. I'm of course talking about myself here.

Hey I ride like a girl, so things can only get better ;)

Guest Omega Man

Hey I ride like a girl, so things can only get better wink.png

If you ride like Rika then you ride a damn side better than most men. I ride like a detective. On the CASE!

If you ride like Rika then you ride a damn side better than most men. I ride like a detective. On the CASE!

LOL think more along the lines of a old ladies bike with cane basket and kickstand on the bike kind of rider

You beat me by 15secs on Saturday, Hairy would be much better served looking in your direction!

Unfortunately my boet moved to Pretoria at the beginning of the month, so I'll have to learn from someone else now...

You beat me by 15secs on Saturday, Hairy would be much better served looking in your direction!

Unfortunately my boet moved to Pretoria at the beginning of the month, so I'll have to learn from someone else now...

Pretoria .... rode with a rider this morning who came from there ... I recon your bro will be very bored on those trails based on the brief description the rider gave me.

Guest Omega Man

How to look scared like a girl while riding slowly:

post-3655-0-44083800-1354103762_thumb.jpg

Clearing the step down. Not That slow brah. BTW. Get some goggles. They will save your eyes and you won't look like you are busy soiling yourself.

Edited by Omega Man

Get some goggles. They will save your eyes and you won't look like you are busy soiling yourself.

I have a pair, but they got splashed with mud on the practice run, and I didn't feel like scratching them while cleaning. I think the look is more like "oh #$%#$, I'm heading right for the root I told myself I'd miss!"

Beware the "one bike Guy"!

He'll probably beat "Mr chop and change" at most kinds of riding because he knows that one bike like the contours of his beloved! I know a few of those guys and they are all very very good riders.

One extreme example of the breed is Mountain Cycle dude who rides up and down anything Tokai has to offer and did a few Arguses on it as well, knobblies and all.

Then I'm not even mentioning Reign man! He makes a lot of XC race snakes look bad while climbing. He joins us (racing tortoises) going up to the Mast every so often but he can keep up with the downhill rigs just about everywhere. Every couple of years, when he feels weak, he rides the Argus on it.

Beware!

Rofl. Reign Man indeed! He is the ultimate Giant Jedi! In most cases, when people catch up to him on the singletrack, he gives a surprized "hahah! I'd better pedal faster then!" And vamooses. A la roadrunner.. Meep meep!