Ok let's hear it vangaalens,laps experiences,gossip??

DIPSLICK

As much as I am glad that we have more 24 hour events on the calendar, I also don't see the need for 2 events a week apart.

It waters down the level of competition and it also waters down the numbers.

Perhaps having them further apart will be a much more viable option.

Firstly, as per my previous post our team had a great time.

BUT, I would say that Omnimotion must take the emergence of a rival 24hr year end race as a giant wake up call. I know that this race has been going for 13 years, but when the organizers start to get complacent and don't nail down crucial details (read - proper catering) people will start voting with their money and do other events.

Thanks Omnimotion for a nice course, but we will be expecting you to up your game next year.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First ride @ VG this weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it (after walking away from cradle quest last weekend). Managed to get in 11 laps. Most I've done in a single weekend is probably about 40km over 2 days, so am pleased with this result. Not even hurting that much today, besides my shoulder, where I did the superman attempt while cornering on gravel about 6km into the route. Front wheel lost traction and flew about 3m, still cleated.

Was an awesome trail and organization was great, from a relative noob (been riding for a few months). Only thing that I didn't notice was the charging station. I would have looked the other way if someone pointed it out, "light batteries are flat" was a good excuse to crawl into the tent for the night at about 10:30.

Quick question: is VG open for rides on random weekends? would be great if I could bring the kids through to give them something a little more challenging than the spruit.

Another thanks to the organizers for this. 1 of my kids won a lego kit, and my arm was twisted into building it with em when we got home yesterday evening, when I would have rather been sleeping. They didn't stop talking about it on the way in to school this morning.

Saw 4 okes riding back about 4 or 5km from Van Gaalens. madness.

The charging station was where the registration was, i was there early yesterday morning charging my phone w00t.gif

The charging station was where the registration was, i was there early yesterday morning charging my phone w00t.gif

no it wasn't! I was forced to sleep by lack of light. mmmkay. ;)

no it wasn't! I was forced to sleep by lack of light. mmmkay. wink.png

Bwahahahaha....I suppose we'll leave it at thatwhistling.gif

i can see where you're going ph34r.png

lol

BUT, I would say that Omnimotion must take the emergence of a rival 24hr year end race as a giant wake up call. I know that this race has been going for 13 years, but when the organizers start to get complacent and don't nail down crucial details (read - proper catering) people will start voting with their money and do other events.

Thanks Omnimotion for a nice course, but we will be expecting you to up your game next year.

First off, you need to read what I posted a bit more carefully.

Secondly, what wake-up call, what RIVAL race. ?

Thirdly, how many more times does it have to be drummed in that the caterers let them down.

Lastly, having two 24 hour events (both with their own problems) a week apart is plain and simple ,stupid.

The biggest let down was the catering, VG being a little more remote made it even a bigger issue.

So perhaps the D@@S who promised to come and feed all of us and decided at the last minute to change his mind, needs to come and lecture us all on ethics.

Thanks for the comments. As we've said, we were extremely upset with the catering company that let us down.It's embarrassed us and we apologize! We will do our best to bring an even better event next year!

Had to leave at 4pm on Saturday, and got back at 7pm, armed with a KFC boxmaster - went down like a homesick mole. Didn't even notice lack of catering laugh.png

no it wasn't! I was forced to sleep by lack of light. mmmkay. wink.png

Hi BrettMTB

Sorry if you had issues with the charging station. I think we will have to mark it better next time. All I know is that is was there right through the event. I packed it away personally at about 3PM on Sunday. I also noticed that someone had helped themselves to one of the strip plugs!

First off, you need to read what I posted a bit more carefully.

Secondly, what wake-up call, what RIVAL race. ?

Thirdly, how many more times does it have to be drummed in that the caterers let them down.

Lastly, having two 24 hour events (both with their own problems) a week apart is plain and simple ,stupid.

The biggest let down was the catering, VG being a little more remote made it even a bigger issue.

So perhaps the D@@S who promised to come and feed all of us and decided at the last minute to change his mind, needs to come and lecture us all on ethics.

1. I am sure I read your post 100% and I didn't miss anything - or did I?

2. I would say that the 24hr race last week at Rietvlei is competition for the Omnimotion 24hr, or do you disagree?

3. I get that they were let down by someone else. You run a business and I am sure you know it's not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. You need plan B,C and D.

4. Agree. That is dumb.

I think Redness got the gist of my post, which was meant constructively.

BASTARDS!!!!

That's nothing! The race director had his bike stolen on Saturday afternoon. It was leaning on the gazebo about 10 meters away from timekeeping right next to the PA system. Stolen right in front of everyone's noses!

I think Redness got the gist of my post, which was meant constructively.

I did take it constructively. However please understand, the 24 Hour in an immense undertaking to organize. Unless you are actually involved, you will never understand. You are welcome to volunteer your time next year and experience it first hand.

Your feedback is welcome though!

Hi BrettMTB

Sorry if you had issues with the charging station. I think we will have to mark it better next time. All I know is that is was there right through the event. I packed it away personally at about 3PM on Sunday. I also noticed that someone had helped themselves to one of the strip plugs!

I wasn't saying it wasn't easily findable. If I needed it, I would have asked and sure it would have been located with ease. It was great to have the phone off for a while and charging up anything didn't feature on my todo list by 10pm saturday. Next time I'll bring my swedish massage chair and make sure its powered though. talking about which... massages for next year event would go down well, I am sure.

I did take it constructively. However please understand, the 24 Hour in an immense undertaking to organize. Unless you are actually involved, you will never understand. You are welcome to volunteer your time next year and experience it first hand.

Your feedback is welcome though!

No thanks - I prefer to help you by entering your event. I have done it every year for the past 4 years, and have always entered a large team. I will do so next year again.

That's nothing! The race director had his bike stolen on Saturday afternoon. It was leaning on the gazebo about 10 meters away from timekeeping right next to the PA system. Stolen right in front of everyone's noses!

May they all catch venerial disease of the eyeball.

Id like to high five those bike thieves....in the face....with an axe.