LBS screwed up. Need input! What now?

T-man

Ok. So I took my bike to LBS(Before I make their name known I want to see how the are gonna handle this one) for major service. While it was there I got a call from a staff member. He said my shock was sommer serviced there and not send away to where ever they usually send it...Got bike back the next day(suspect?). Lock out didnt work anymore, fork was very stiff and travel looked more than what it was. Took bike back this morning.. Got there at 17:00 because bike was ready. Lock out still wont work. I got a little mad. Worker tells me they are not allowed to service forks... not licensed to do so....? So the lbs took my fork off and puts on an old reba on. very old. just so that I can train this week. they are now gonna send it away. What would you have done and how would have you reacted? And what should the lbs do to make up for this mess?

Ok. So I took my bike to LBS(Before I make their name known I want to see how the are gonna handle this one) for major service. While it was there I got a call from a staff member. He said my shock was sommer serviced there and not send away to where ever they usually send it...Got bike back the next day(suspect?). Lock out didnt work anymore, fork was very stiff and travel looked more than what it was. Took bike back this morning.. Got there at 17:00 because bike was ready. Lock out still wont work. I got a little mad. Worker tells me they are not allowed to service forks... not licensed to do so....? So the lbs took my fork off and puts on an old reba on. very old. just so that I can train this week. they are now gonna send it away. What would you have done and how would have you reacted? And what should the lbs do to make up for this mess?

If it is like you say it is, then they are liable for the cost of a replacement fork if the agents do not or can not rectify the situation. If there is a cost involved, they need to cover that. It's due to their gross negligence that this has happened.

Edited by cptmayhem

Eish, I would not be a very happy customer, but as stated above, they should be liable, why are they servicing things they're not qualified/allowed to do? Sounds very odd

Yes.. I dont understand why they serviced it when they are not allowed/qualified to do so. Highly dissapointed in them. I take its possible to screw up a fork if you dont know how to service it? Lets see how it plays out tomorrow...

There are 2 obvious possibilities of what happened to the fork. The travel on the Reba can be adjusted by removing/inserting a spacer inside the + air chamber. The other more likely scenario is simply that the + and - air pressures are not set correctly. I have been using my SID with too much pressure in the - air chamber, causing the fork to feel like only 80mm travel and sagging too much. When I let out some - pressure, it regained it`s rightful amount of travel.

Either way it seems the LBS messed up.

would like to know who the lbs is as I have had my fair share of bad workmanship in the past where normal workshop oil was sommer used instead of fork oil

Not at all nice. I would make sure that the shock is working 100% when I get it back, ask them for proof that it was sent to the agents for service (invoice or job card from agents).

I would not go back there again, and would name and shame them here so that other hubbers are also not taken for a ride by this LBS.

No good, the shop should know better than to service a fork which they are not licensed to service. Short answer is that they are liable for damages unless you said that they could have a crack at it. What I dont understand is why they would want to mess with something that they can easily outsource, did you put them under any time pressure?

Not at all nice. I would make sure that the shock is working 100% when I get it back, ask them for proof that it was sent to the agents for service (invoice or job card from agents).

I would not go back there again, and would name and shame them here so that other hubbers are also not taken for a ride by this LBS.

mmm, this is a half and half. I like your first statement, get proof it was done by said agents. No worries.

The second part is more 50/50. This was done by an employee of the shop, as I understand it. It is not the managers/owners fault. If the manager/owner steps up and handles this correctly, this could turn into a good relationship. The shop itself does not need to be named and shamed at this stage. If things do work out well for T-Man then maybe a few hubbers would want to take their bikes to the shop as it means things get sorted when mistakes happen.

Just say stop: Bruce's,Hatfield,Hotspot,Epic,FPC,Solomons,cycle lab,cycle house,bester......

What was the arrangement between yourself and the shop regarding the service? Were you aware they were going to service the fork or did they just go ahead without consulting you? Is it still under warranty?

The second part is more 50/50. This was done by an employee of the shop, as I understand it. It is not the managers/owners fault. If the manager/owner steps up and handles this correctly, this could turn into a good relationship. The shop itself does not need to be named and shamed at this stage. If things do work out well for T-Man then maybe a few hubbers would want to take their bikes to the shop as it means things get sorted when mistakes happen.

True, but I still want to know which LBSes do not have the skills to service a shock. The owner can still then turn it around by addressing his skills gap and then marketing his new skills.

Would you want to take your car to a garage for a service and hope that they know what they are doing, when someone else has had bad service, but elected not to warn you about it?

mmm, this is a half and half. I like your first statement, get proof it was done by said agents. No worries.

There is something called "strict liability" where the owner of a business is liable for the damage caused by one of his employees in performing his duties. So if the employee caused the damage, the employer will be liable for damages. This is found in both civil and criminal law.

True, but I still want to know which LBSes do not have the skills to service a shock. The owner can still then turn it around by addressing his skills gap and then marketing his new skills.

Would you want to take your car to a garage for a service and hope that they know what they are doing, when someone else has had bad service, but elected not to warn you about it?

Valid point.

There is something called "strict liability" where the owner of a business is liable for the damage caused by one of his employees in performing his duties. So if the employee caused the damage, the employer will be liable for damages. This is found in both civil and criminal law.

And hence the difference between common sense and law.