Rusty bolts - any proven remedies?

LazyTrailRider

borax and white vinegar or borax+lemon juice. dab on and/or leave to soak for about 30min. Ignore dark discoloration as it should wash off once you rinse with water. Heating the vinegar or lemon mixture will accelerate the removal process.

Commercially, i know of Plascon's rust remover & concrete etcher, and Dulux's quit rust remover

Edited by Dr Snuggles

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coke is the cheapest and easiest. The sugar content in that stuff is crazy good at removing rust and blemishes from metal.

Put in glass of coke (full fat version) and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. Crazy.

Coke is the cheapest and easiest. The sugar content in that stuff is crazy good at removing rust and blemishes from metal.

Put in glass of coke (full fat version) and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. Crazy.

Amazing stuff

If you have a rusted lock just squirt some coke thru a straw into it and 5 mins lata hey presto

Q20/WD40 again?

this then be an ongoing thing, everytime the bike gets wet ?

would the downside be the q20/wd40 attracts dirt (not like a mtn bike to get dirty)

having assesed how to remove the rust, how do you prevent rust on the bolts ?

Almost impossible, coating the threads with a layer of "Coppaslip" or some other such copper compound will help in slowing the process and make the bolt easier to undo later, but it will eventually also wash off and need to be reapplied.

A viable, commercially available, permanent solution to rust, will make you a wealthy man, very, very wealthy. laugh.png

I replaced most of the steel bolts with stainless steel bolts. No need for Coke. Much more usefull elsewhere.

Once the rust is removed get a tin of Tectyl spray, it will slow down the rust, but will look a bit discolored. You will not be able to stop the rust from returning.

Stainless bolts are a solution.

There is also an electrolytic process to do this if you are in the mood to play mad chemist. For rust prevention Boeshield T-9 is the best, but AFAIK it is not available in SA, so I just use WD40.

I replaced most of the steel bolts with stainless steel bolts. No need for Coke. Much more usefull elsewhere.

SS bolts are fine in non stress applications

Useless if under tension.Shear is fine

SS work hardens