No CSA license covered by PPA membership for 99er

walkerr

I guess this is now the new order of things with the CSA and PPA split - to enter the 99er in 2013, not only do you pay the pretty high entrance fee, but PPA membership doesn't cover your CSA license and you have to add another R35 for that as well.

I'm committed to doing the 99er next year, but if the same applies the year after they can stick it ....

Edit:

Actually - stuff it, I'll do either the Tour de PPA or the Tour de Stellenbosch instead - R235 to enter, even with being a PPA member is a joke. Not gonna shove an extra R35 in the CSA pockets when they couldn't come to a sensible arrangement with the PPA here in WC.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know how many other rides are affected. Is it easier (or cheaper) just to pay the R75 to CSA for the year and be done with it .

Agree.

Do you know how many other rides are affected. Is it easier (or cheaper) just to pay the R75 to CSA for the year and be done with it .

I'm pretty sure the Argus is not affected, as PPA are part owners of it - although you've probably already entered that anyway. Not sure about rides in other provinces.

Out of principal though I'm not inclined to give CSA R35 let alone R75 with the way they tried to railroad a hostile takeover of the PPA.

So a once of payment to the CSA of R75 and you have a CSA license?

Do you need to belong to a club to be able to apply to get the license?

Will the PPA prices decrease seeing that they don't cover the CSA license any more.

with the way they tried to railroad a hostile takeover of the PPA.

Possibly one of the few people in CT not aware of the whole story. Is there a link to a thread or somewhere we I can get some more detail?

I do not see CSA doing anything for us. The PPA ( and i am going to regret is) with all their issues stil helps us. Yeah they have too much money etc etc, but the help the financing of trails, have a nice project every now and then.

I think that the road races will be very limited in a year or two. Organisers don't want the admin of road races anymore. i would predict that there will be a mtb race booked in conjunction with every road race next year. And i might be inclined to do only that. At least when i fall my ass off, it is because of my own stupidity, and mine alone.

Be kind. Fat Pat is fighting for his life and the dead s--ts that run cycling in this country need your 35 rondt to support him so they can stay in power and look after themselves rather than cycling.

Still having difficulty seeing why we pay this tax on our fun rides.

Why is it for them do decide? arn't we the clients? what jurisdiction do they have? why do you have to have a license to be eligible for prize money?

This moght be the biggest pyramid scheme ever.... apart from the fact that the pyramid is top heavy:):)

The 99er is a wonderful race through Durbanville and surrounds. It might look expensive, but as far as I understand, it's actualy a non-profit race. You must understand everything that goes into organising a big race like that.

Fact is, everything is getting more expensive. Your father told you that and I'll probably tell my kids, "you know, back in 2013 we only paid R300 for the 99er" and the kiddies will sit and listen in awe.

At least you still have a choice - you don't have to do it.

So think of the positives you actually get out of the race!

Why is it for them do decide? arn't we the clients? what jurisdiction do they have? why do you have to have a license to be eligible for prize money?

This moght be the biggest pyramid scheme ever.... apart from the fact that the pyramid is top heavy:)smile.png

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked:

We need an organisation to organise cycling in SA

Clients? Yes, not sure what your point is?

Constitution

The races are organised with CSA the overriding body, therefore if you don't belong to them, you don't get money.

You don`t have to be a member of a club anymore. You can get your 2013 CSA license for only R75. I went to their site and paid via EFT. After this I just mailed them the proof of payment and asked to activate my license. A little hickup when my status said "Awaiting club confirmation", I just mailed them again and told them no club membership required anymore, and they set my license to active.

Possibly one of the few people in CT not aware of the whole story. Is there a link to a thread or somewhere we I can get some more detail?

I can't find the original article right now - but essentially as I understand it, the CSA were happy to let the PPA run events in the WC for years. Trouble is, PPA run them well and are financially viable, whereas the CSA are yey another sporting body bailed out regularly by the government. At some stage last year they gave the PPA an ultimatum, let us take you over, members, finances and all, or we'll revoke inclusion of your members as having CSA day licenses with rides. The PPA rightly told them that was unacceptable, and they split.

CSA don't organise events, they don't even time them, racetec does that - they don't do the seedings either, PPA and racetec do that too (depending on what the event is). So I have no idea wat the R35 license is apart from being a tax on cyclists.

As noted - the above is my understanding - I could be wrong!