Argus vs 99er

g-star

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 99er is reverting back to the old route which i assume won't take in the Hok.

What is the "old" route then? Thought it has always included the 'Hok, but with Odendaals added the last two years. Last years route was longer due to roadworks.

It's a step or few tougher than Die Burger.

Pack your suitcase of courage fur this baby....

I find it easier than Burger - Helshoogte after 1km REALLY does not work for me. On 99er when I hit Vissershok I'm nice and warm

the 99er is reverting back to the old route which i assume won't take in the Hok.

Old route is Vissershok and Odendal - but out on Wellington rather than Addrely

Old route is Vissershok and Odendal - but out on Wellington rather than Addrely

That's the way I understand it too.

my old route is down wellington, over 4 way, to r44 , to Malmsbury and back along the R302 (120 kms)

First thing, it's so difficult to compare two races. A 1,500m scratch race on the track can be harder than a 100km race on the road. Secondly, I think those three are great races to ride across great roads.

But if you want to compare stats, here is what I've got for the 2012 99er (which was longer due to road works - I wish they keep that route), 2012 Argus and 2012 Burger:

99er 2012:

Distance: 121.5km

Elevation gain: 1,182m

Argus 2012:

Distance: 109.5km

Elevation gain: 1,152m

Burger 2012:

Distance: 91.8km

Elevation gain: 912m

my old route is down wellington, over 4 way, to r44 , to Malmsbury and back along the R302 (120 kms)

Nope, changed. Instead of coming back on Klipheuwel / Wellington rd, you turn right onto the Philidelphia rd and then left again just after going over the low water bridge / dairy farm. (not sure of the roads name, but old Malmesbury rd is about a 100 meters on to the right) A very crappy bumpy section full of rollers then follows untill you get to N7. Left on N7 for a km or two and then left towards Durbanville. Still lots of rollers up to Vissershok and over. Finish ontop of Odendaals. Works out to about 108 km, if I remember correctly.

Jinne! Does'nt everyone know about the August cycle tour on 10 March 2013. Lol.

Nope, there will always be new people joining the sport who have to learn a few thing. Noobs! whistling.gif

What is the "old" route then? Thought it has always included the 'Hok, but with Odendaals added the last two years. Last years route was longer due to roadworks.

The "old" route (not the revised route due to roadworks) used to roll into Malmesbury and back via silos and skietbaan.

I raced that version in 2009, me think.

Finish was opposite the El Shaddaih school after turning L off Wellington Rd.

I remember that race well.

I bonked 35kms out into the teeth of the South Easter... :-O

Edited by Puncheur

I find it easier than Burger - Helshoogte after 1km REALLY does not work for me. On 99er when I hit Vissershok I'm nice and warm

When the engine oil is warmed up and that diesel engine is purring...

thumbup1.gif

First thing, it's so difficult to compare two races. A 1,500m scratch race on the track can be harder than a 100km race on the road. Secondly, I think those three are great races to ride across great roads.

But if you want to compare stats, here is what I've got for the 2012 99er (which was longer due to road works - I wish they keep that route), 2012 Argus and 2012 Burger:

99er 2012:

Distance: 121.5km

Elevation gain: 1,182m

Argus 2012:

Distance: 109.5km

Elevation gain: 1,152m

Burger 2012:

Distance: 91.8km

Elevation gain: 912m

True, Andydude, True.

thumbup1.gif

Or/And

The harder your ride, the harder it gets...

Hi All

The 99er will be the same as 2011, last year we had to divert because of the roadworks on the Wellington road.

99er 108km Route descriptions

Riders on the 108km route leave the Durbanville Racecourse and pedal via back roads down St Johns Rd. Turn right at circle at Vissershok towards Durbanville centre then left at next circle onto Koeberg Road (which becomes Adderley Street). After 700meters we turn right into Plein street and immediately left into Protea Road. After 1.7 km we turn right into Boland street and 700meters further left into Wellington Road. Now the open road awaits. Turn right on the R 312 towards Fisantekraal. Continue over the R304, Klipheuwel road, towards the R44.

Turn left onto the R44 and continue towards Wellington for 6 km and then left onto the Voor Perdeberg Road. After 10km, we turn left at the T-junction and past the Paardeberg Correctional facility. 5km later we turn right right towards Malmesbury. Then turn left onto the R302. Turn right at Silos on R302. Turn right onto the Philadelphia road, pass the Adderley road turn-off and continue over the narrow bridge and then turn left onto the Van Schoorsdrift/Old Malmesbury road. Turn left onto the N7 (caution: traffic for 2.6 km) and left again onto the challenging Vissershok road. Cross the Vissershok/Malanshoogte 4-way stop and start the 3 km rise, concluding with the infamous Vissershok climb. Turn right into Odendaal Street for the last climb up to the finish, with a 2 km neutral zone back to the Racecourse.

Hope to see everybody at next years race.