26er vs 29er frame size?

martinsnyman

Hi Guys,

I am 1.86 tall and currently ride a Large 26er. I am wanting to get a 29er and have been told that I should get a Meduim. Is this correct?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Martin

I am 1.87m tall, and I was inbetween a Large and XLarge on my new TREK. Took the Large and its perfect. I think at your length a Large would be just fine!

Whoever is telling you that a medium will do knows diddly squat about bikes...unless you have a body like a chimpanzee...

At 186cm you're likely to fall between Large and XL as lapa pointed out. I'm 185cm and have my seat post right on max on a Large Niner. I have a short upper body so the Large is a better fit than the XL.

Hi Guys,

I am 1.86 tall and currently ride a Large 26er. I am wanting to get a 29er and have been told that I should get a Meduim. Is this correct?

Martin

More importantly, what is your inseam (feet to balls) and if you really want to go further, what is the length of your upper leg?

Hi Guys,

Martin

I'm 1.86 too, and have a 16.5" frame (Silverback's "medium") - its a little on the small side, and I had to make sure I had a long enough seat post, but i prefer a smaller frame. Also have a longer .... (not sure of what its called) bar that attaches fork to handlebars. previously was on a 26er with a 19" frame which fitted well, but the smaller frame moves a lot easier for me. personal preference is the biggest factor, try and see what works best for you, there's no "right" way.

More importantly, what is your inseam (feet to balls) and if you really want to go further, what is the length of your upper leg?

long seat posts and crank arm size would need to be the right size.

For the record, my inseam is 88 - 90cm (depends on how hard I squeeze my balls) and I took a large Giant.

squeezing your balls an extra 2cm sounds a bit harsh!

squeezing your balls an extra 2cm sounds a bit harsh!

long seat posts and crank arm size would need to be the right size.

Yes. Just watch out for a too small frame with a too long seat post.

Why?

the topic often ends in discussion over the pros and cons of 26 vs 29 which is way over-subscribed here, so i generally try and stay away :P this is more about the frame though, so not too bad.