Another noob just starting out...

breaker

I'd get the cheaper of the Giant or the Silverback. The bikes are all relatively similar. If you really get into mountain biking, you're going to want something better and more expensive, so the less you spend now, the less you lose then.

So unfortunately I've run out of time and need to get a bike today before I go away. So would you guys be so kind as to help me ito these 3:

Titan sport 29er http://www.titanraci...m/29rsport.html

Silverback vida 4 http://www.silverbac...CK/vida4_13.htm

Giant revel 0 http://www.giant-bic...59411/#features

I will be going to test these 3 out today, but on paper this is what I've found.

The Giant seems to be the cheapest but the feeling from lbs's I've spoken to is the fork is poor.

The Titan seems good buy except that the component set is one less than the other 2 on the "Shimano scale"

The Silverback to my mind seems the best, except that its a 24speed vs the other 2's 27 speed.

So again with my lack of experience in riding I've narrowed it down on paper to Fork vs Components vs Speed.

I've searched and found a similar thread, and that op bought a GT KARAKORAM 3.0

Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx, but sorry bud, this whole excersize actually started at a budget of 5k which then became 6k, so I won't be going down that road wink.png

@tombeej, I might be eating my words buddyblush.png . Thanx for the suggestion.thumbup1.gif

So while the bike is being sorted / ticked off the list I need to get a few other goodies.

What would you guys recommend for shorts and top. I'm planning on doing the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Lite aswell so I need some sort of clothing for that. Also what are the small necessary bits that I would need? I have this feeling I'm only gonna know what I need, when I need itblush.png

Then my only other huge problem is a bike rack, don't have a towbar and certainly don't have the moola for the fancy thule stuff so for now its down with the back seats for now - 2006 Audi A3 Sportback.

Clothing is easy.

Good bib is important but for shirts you can get away with the normal gym type shirts from Mr Price Sport

Some boardshorts are nice if you don't like advertising your championship boerewors

Hi Guys

Am a newie to the Hub, and really impressed at all the advice given to other members!

So I hope you are you ready for all my ???????

Have done some MTB races this yr (Karkloof Classic & Lion Man etc.), using a friend's 29er Lynskey Hardtail and his Trek Carbon Softail. I am now looking to buy my own bike, budget R10K, but boy am I confused with all that's out there!

So far, my preferences on the 29er's are:

Cannondale Trail SL29

Trek Corbia 2013

Titan Elite 2013

Momsen AL129 or is it AL329?

I will use the bike for training at Northern, and around Kyalami, etc. and then various events throughout the year. I have also started road cycling a few months back which helped with my first 94.7 and next, my first Argus, which I use my Raleigh for.

Am really missing being offroad, so am keen to get back to some MTB riding.

Look forward to any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks

Michele

Edited by Michele Farmer

A big thanx everyone here who contributed to this thread and ultimately helping me make a more informed decision. I must say I've learned a lot more in this short time.thumbup1.gif And a big thumbup1.gif to Revolution Cycles' Stirling Jnr for taking the time to sort me out with an A-Z and of course for this:

A big thanx everyone here who contributed to this thread and ultimately helping me make a more informed decision. I must say I've learned a lot more in this short time.thumbup1.gif And a big thumbup1.gif to Revolution Cycles' Stirling Jnr for taking the time to sort me out with an A-Z and of course for this:

Congrats!

It's a personal preference but I worry about brake hoses getting snagged by sticks and branches if they're running on the outside of fork as in the pic. It's easy to change the line so it runs against the inside of the fork... just a suggestion.

Enjoy the trails!

Congrats!

It's a personal preference but I worry about brake hoses getting snagged by sticks and branches if they're running on the outside of fork as in the pic. It's easy to change the line so it runs against the inside of the fork... just a suggestion.

Enjoy the trails!

Thanx bud, I will definitely do so, gonna get some cable ties or something.