Port Elizabeth MTB rides

deca300

Spoke to Lex now, they are done with NH. They are out at Hopewell now to manage those trails. I've ridden there but still prefer the compactness and green-ness of NH, riding under the canopy of the trees, etc.

Sad day.

That is such a pity, it is close to my house.........Hopewell is on the other side of the planet. I hate driving to a place to ride. i want to be able to leave from my house on my bike.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a small cross country course next to Profiles and Cyclopro. Rob, the owner of Cyclopro said they are negotiating with the municipality to turn it into a really decent bike park.

i often see people riding there in the evenings after work and every second Thursday, they host a mini race.

There is no more than 5-7km worth of trails there, and exposed. No trees or nothing to really speak of. A bike park is something that is enclosed. I promise you they won't fence off that size land... making it nothing more than a glorified trail that's been there since forever.

That is such a pity, it is close to my house.........Hopewell is on the other side of the planet. I hate driving to a place to ride. i want to be able to leave from my house on my bike.

In a week's time, we are moving to within 2.5km of Norm Hudlin... The bottom farm is closed off, but I'm going to ride it to make sure the trails stay open. The "bottom - bottom" farm is now probably completely overgrown, the piece that went up to the highway.

eek.gif thumbdown.gif blink.png sad.png

WHAT??? I loved that place! it was PERFECT for fast training rides! And it was save for me to ride alone too (not like Baakens)

MAN-o-MAN...I am SO sad now....was planning to go ride there when I visited PE early Jan.

He didn't really have a choice, he says the rentals on the place was too high. It wasn't his farm, he was renting it. I think what broke their back was the rains we had. Lex once told me it costs +/- R10k to maintain the trails per month and that was roughly what they made a month out of the Honesty Box, plus a bit of sponsorship from a couple of sponsors. 2-3 months of rain = no riders = no money... Bang.

Sad.

Where is Hopewell?

Behind St. Albans. Its HUGE. Lots of riding out there, but nothing "tropical" like how NH is.

Spoke to Lex now, they are done with NH. They are out at Hopewell now to manage those trails. I've ridden there but still prefer the compactness and green-ness of NH, riding under the canopy of the trees, etc.

Sad day.

That reall y sucks. Went there about 2 weeks ago for the first time in a couple of months and noticed the price had doubled. Didnt really notice much difference in the trails other than some routes had changed. Only did half of it thogh, so didnt see the bottom farm Edited by facmp

I have often thought that the Lovemore Hill - the one between Montmedy and Seaview Roads that goes from Welcome Road to the Lovemore Heights - would make an awesome biking park. Wish those rich buggers up there would share...

Is Hopewell becoming an every day play area or just for events?

Its too big to be a play area. You go there for events and BIG tides. It isn't made for a quick 15km session

Its too big to be a play area. You go there for events and BIG tides. It isn't made for a quick 15km session

If I wanted to do a big ride, can I as a private person go there any day and ask to ride or only when they have an event planned? I used to ride that area flat on my motorbike before it became a game farm. I know it very well.

Let me know if someone will be doing longmore plantation next week or the Jbay cycle park....I am keen...

happy.png

I could join you for the Jbay park, but I am very very very very far from pro....I do gather some real momentum downhill though. I have a mate who is a monster, came third at a recent Longmore event, so if you give us a date I might get him to join so you snakes can go play in the bush whilst I putter around and drink coffee/beerthumbup1.gif

I am also keen on having a look at the 17th, sounds like fun thumbup1.gif

Apparently Hopewell open 7 days a week from 6am to 7pm.... R30 a head.... could get pricey if you have a family of cyclists - looks like they will introduce an annual subscription which will be a little cheaper......