Disk brakes rubbing

Dominik

Hi guys,

I don't know if this has already been discussed, or my search skills is just poor.

I bought a bike recently and it was shipped to me, when I added the wheels, the disk brakes were rubbing against the rotor.

From what I gather this happens when the brake lever is pulled when there is no wheel in.

Is it quite simple to adjust the disk brake again?

If someone has done this before can they please guide me to what to do.

Thanks

there are a couple of options and routes to take. Hit the search button or look under the technical section. also youtube "discs rubbing", there are some nice vids.

Loosen the allen key bolts at the caliper (with the wheel in), pull the lever a few times and tighten the bolts while holding the lever. Should be fine after that.

This is the standard method and works 95% of the time.

If that fails loosen the caliper bolts until you can just move the caliper with some effort. Now shine a torch from underneath the caliper and look from above. Give the calipers minor taps on each side until the pads are parallel with the rotor. Tighten caliper bolts and ride!

Loosen the allen key bolts at the caliper (with the wheel in), pull the lever a few times and tighten the bolts while holding the lever. Should be fine after that.

That was my latest fix, still 100% no scraping!!

Works every time as you are centering the rotor between the pads.

Edit: spelling

Edited by shaper

Works every time as you are centering the rotar between the pads.

60% of the time it works everytime.

uh guys i hate to point this out but the fix's being described are fine for caliper alignment but will do nothing to correct if the lever has been pulled with the rotor out.

for that you will need to remove the pads, usually a split pin or Allen bolt keeps them from falling out. once the pads are out take a spanner or something similar and force the pistons back into the caliper housing, replace pads and wheel the squeeze the brake lever till you feel resistance and see braking power being applied to the rotor.

all done.

unless i am mis-reading the OP?

Edited by DaddyG

uh guys i hate to point this out but the fix's being described are fine for caliper alignment but will do nothing to correct if the lever has been pulled with the rotor out.

for that you will need to remove the pads, usually a split pin or Allen bolt keeps them from falling out. once the pads are out take a spanner or something similar and force the pistons back into the caliper housing, replace pads and wheel the squeeze the brake lever till you feel resistance and see braking power being applied to the rotor.

all done.

unless i am mis-reading the OP?

Disc brakes are usually supplied with plastic spacers to

a) stop this from happening in the first place, or

B) get the pads apart without damaging the friction material.

(edit: Oh look, my point b made a smiley...)

Use these to separate the pistons if you've got them.

If, like me, you've lost these, the next best thing is to fit an old set of pads and use a large flat bladed screwdriver to push the pistons back in. Pistons are usually made of phenolic plastic, which is brittle and can easily be damaged by a screwdriver or similar.

Failing that, wrap the end of the screwdriver in insulation tape before pushing the pistons apart (do I need to say *gently*)...

Once you've done this, replace the pads do the loosen, squeeze and tighten thing described above. Bear in mind that it will take a few lever strokes before the pads make contact with the rotor again.

If all of this doesn't work, you most likely have a lazy piston, and your brakes will probably need a caliper rebuild. Or a stern talking to.

Edited by droo

Also, what type of brakes do you have? Avids have a narrow space between the callipers compared to shimano. i might get flamed but thats the main reason ive changed from avids to shimano.

. i might get flamed but thats the main reason ive changed from avids to shimano.

This board is grown up. No one will flame you for the right decision you have made.

if your pads are still rubbing and making a noise, try spraying the rotors with some Pledge or Mr. Min. That should get rid of the squeel