Talent vs Travel

Paul Ruinaard

Interesting article on Pinkbike. I know a number of people here would agree with this, and with wheel size also being a factor masking lack of skill

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Argument-For-Short-Travel-Bikes-Opinion-2012.html?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PB+Best+-+November+2012+600k-650k

So lets open the debate. I personally will ride a LT bike in to things I would never ride a hardtail or 100mm bike. It masks all sorts of fialings. Maybe we should focus more on getitng the people to ride HT first...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rigid hardtail....exposes your weaknesses. Get on a 100mm travel bike after 2-3 months of that and it feel like you Mr Min.

why do you need skill, when you can buy a dualie and not have to worry ?

surely this is a personal thing? if you want to have the technical skill of doing something, vs being able to just get on and ride.

similar to fixing your own bike vs taking it to the lbs to get it sorted

edit: I know my skills suck, but I have a dualie that has saved my bacon to many times to mention. if i did those same things on any other bike, I might not be around today.

Have raced quite a bit of marathons on a full rigid 26er. No room for error going down the rocky descents. All riders should start off on a 80-100mm travel 26er hardtail for a few years, and then move over.

surely this is a personal thing? if you want to have the technical skill of doing something, vs being able to just get on and ride.

similar to fixing your own bike vs taking it to the lbs to get it sorted

edit: I know my skills suck, but I have a dualie that has saved my bacon to many times to mention. if i did those same things on any other bike, I might not be around today.

Nope, skill will make you faster on a duallie....FACT.

Simple answer. One day you will run out of travel and skill will save your bacon.

The most simple and basic skill is the most important one to have. This is called shifting your weight on the bike. Also known as the attack position on the bike.

I have had mega LT bikes in the past and currently building another one. Still wont trade travel for skill.

Simple answer. One day you will run out of travel and skill will save your bacon.

The most simple and basic skill is the most important one to have. This is called shifting your weight on the bike. Also known as the attack position on the bike.

I have had mega LT bikes in the past and currently building another one. Still wont trade travel for skill.

and visa versa... one day you may run out of skill, and travel will save your bacon.

...even the pro's rely on this. When Semenuk was aksed what bike he was going to use for 2010 Rampage (before he injured himself), he replied that the course is doable on a 100mm slopestyle, and would be way more trickable... but the room for error is less, so he (and the other riders) go with bigger travel to save their butts when they push the limits of their skill.

and visa versa... one day you may run out of skill, and travel will save your bacon.

...even the pro's rely on this. When Semenuk was aksed what bike he was going to use for 2010 Rampage (before he injured himself), he replied that the course is doable on a 100mm slopestyle, and would be way more trickable... but the room for error is less, so he (and the other riders) go with bigger travel to save their butts when they push the limits of their skill.

Yes agreed, but the butterzone is both yes? Travel is lekker, travel is fun and travel safes your bacon when your talent goes AWOL...but given the choice between mr min's bike or his skill...well its a no brainer really.

Not sure if anyone actually read the article, but I must admit that this paragraph is what woke me up. I hired an 8 inch downhill rig when overseas and felt all of hwta he talks about ion the article.

But if you want a real riding epxerience where the bike actually give syou feedback rather than is masked by the suspension, rake angles and tires taht grip on anything then you need to go shorter and more rigid.

Skill, Not Suspension

Even the lightest and most nimble of downhill bikes are numb beasts compared to a well-set-up shorter travel machine. Ride one of these smartly spec'd shorter legged bikes at speed and it is like the bike is having a conversation with you about the trail, either letting you know you're doing something right by rewarding you with speed and agility or, on the other hand, punishing you if you deserve it. And I believe that is the very reason that many riders go up in travel rather than down when it comes time for a new bike - more suspension simply makes the bike easier to ride. But what about the sense of accomplishment that comes with nailing a tricky section not because the bike allowed you to do it, but because of your skill?

Me - I'm busy building 100m hardtails, SIngle Speed.

IMHO - Travel will save you but not give you talent. It will save you riding down a rocky track so that it seems you have talent.

Yes agreed, but the butterzone is both yes? Travel is lekker, travel is fun and travel safes your bacon when your talent goes AWOL...but given the choice between mr min's bike or his skill...well its a no brainer really.

True! I don't deny that travel cannot replace talent. Developing skills is essential to riding better. But add travel to that and you can win DH world championships thumbup1.gif

(there's a reason that gearing and suspension technology have developed, so sometimes riding a SS rigid is just playing the martyr laugh.png )

Edited by patches

Not sure if anyone actually read the article, but I must admit that this paragraph is what woke me up. I hired an 8 inch downhill rig when overseas and felt all of hwta he talks about ion the article.

But if you want a real riding epxerience where the bike actually give syou feedback rather than is masked by the suspension, rake angles and tires taht grip on anything then you need to go shorter and more rigid.

Skill, Not Suspension

Even the lightest and most nimble of downhill bikes are numb beasts compared to a well-set-up shorter travel machine. Ride one of these smartly spec'd shorter legged bikes at speed and it is like the bike is having a conversation with you about the trail, either letting you know you're doing something right by rewarding you with speed and agility or, on the other hand, punishing you if you deserve it. And I believe that is the very reason that many riders go up in travel rather than down when it comes time for a new bike - more suspension simply makes the bike easier to ride. But what about the sense of accomplishment that comes with nailing a tricky section not because the bike allowed you to do it, but because of your skill?

Good post, why not go rigid...you have to work the land, ride the right lines to get to the top or bottom. No bombing over kuk anymore

Skill, Not Suspension

Where did you ride overseas? Cos I dunno if I want any 'feedback' from the Les Gets braking bumps! Glad I had my 8 inches there, or I'd have the hands and wrists of a 90yr old lady :lol: