Tri Suit

Garfield2010

Just a question - what clothing do most normal people use in ironman? Because you've got the cycling (where you'd want cycling shorts) and then running, where it's not so lekker to run in cycling shorts????

A lot of the guys use proper riding pants for the bike and change into running pants for the run. the xtra 30 seconds to get out of your bibs and into running pants is insignificant on a 12+ hour day.

Just a question - what clothing do most normal people use in ironman? Because you've got the cycling (where you'd want cycling shorts) and then running, where it's not so lekker to run in cycling shorts????

Personal preference, I guess. I'll be using my cycling bib and shirt for the cycle leg and my running shorts and vest for the running leg.

No point (for me, at least) in making it more uncomfortable or difficult if you're not going for the win :P

You get tri-shorts which has a smaller chamois so it is more comfy on the run. It is a bit of a swimming jammer, a bit of cycling shorts and a bit of running tights in one.

Cool

Well I have realised that if you cycle enough then the size of the shammy doesnt matter. I have done a few olympic distances in a running short without a shammy at all and I was ok.

The Garf has balls of steel.

Balls of steel... Added to list of things to get for IronMan next year :)

Sure, I agree, for anything up to half IronMan length I'm happy not to have any extra protection. But 180km with a marathon to come, different story.

jislaaikit, and you wonder why triathletes get mocked so much?!

check out all the jargon, 'go faster' terms. Looks as comfortable as a mangaung rental car agent.

LIGHTWEIGHT, BREATHABLE, HYDROPHOBIC MATERIAL I THERMOPLASTIC POLYURETHANE COMPRESSION BANDS

BREATHABLE I MOISTURE WICKING 4MM THICKNESS I PERFORATED I COMFORT I SHOCK ABSORBENCE I ANTI-BACTERIAL

COMFORT I BREATHABILITY COMFORT I LOW DRAG I SECURE SECURE STORAGE I LOW PROFILE INCREASED LEG COVERAGE I HYDRODYNAMICS I COMPRESSION VISIBILITY COMFORT COMFORT I PERFORMANCE COMFORT I LOW IRRITATION COMFORT

Have also never had to go 2 during a race or any other longish(12+ hours) event for that matter.

:-)

Thats probably because in an event like Ironman your body needs all the food it can get and recycles your turd. So it sucks it back in and re-processes it.

Edited by Garfield2010

jislaaikit, and you wonder why triathletes get mocked so much?!

check out all the jargon, 'go faster' terms. Looks as comfortable as a mangaung rental car agent.

LIGHTWEIGHT, BREATHABLE, HYDROPHOBIC MATERIAL I THERMOPLASTIC POLYURETHANE COMPRESSION BANDS

BREATHABLE I MOISTURE WICKING 4MM THICKNESS I PERFORATED I COMFORT I SHOCK ABSORBENCE I ANTI-BACTERIAL

COMFORT I BREATHABILITY COMFORT I LOW DRAG I SECURE SECURE STORAGE I LOW PROFILE INCREASED LEG COVERAGE I HYDRODYNAMICS I COMPRESSION VISIBILITY COMFORT COMFORT I PERFORMANCE COMFORT I LOW IRRITATION COMFORT

Is this not what the power balance band also stated?

I don't think that it has enough space for stashing nutrition for IM, looks ok for 70.3. You shouldn't have to poop during IM and if you need to take a leak on the bike just let go.

I don't think that it has enough space for stashing nutrition for IM, looks ok for 70.3. You shouldn't have to poop during IM and if you need to take a leak on the bike just let go.

But thats why there are feeding stations?

You get tri-shorts which has a smaller chamois so it is more comfy on the run. It is a bit of a swimming jammer, a bit of cycling shorts and a bit of running tights in one.

2XU have good shorts - i have used these in the last two IM with the Specsaver vest. If you have a half decent TT saddle then the shorts should be fine. Do a couple of training rides in them

2XU have good shorts - i have used these in the last two IM with the Specsaver vest. If you have a half decent TT saddle then the shorts should be fine. Do a couple of training rides in them

Will have a look thanks

I also have 2XU shorts and give it a big thumbup1.gif . I still have to do a long ride in the Orca shorts (maybe tomorrow) before I can comment on that.

In my experience, a road chamois shape is not suitable for a Triathlon bike. The padding is the wrong shape.

For Ironman, I pull a second pair of tri shorts on. The 2 slim chamois provide better protection than one and the cut is right. Takes almost no time to put on and off.

I like the Orca cut but do find the 226 chamois can butt creep a bit, but that is ass shape dependent I guess.

Have yet to be convinced of any merit in a one piece other than in a non-wetsuit swim if you are really good.

On the top, I use a long sleeve Under Armour cooling top under the Orca 226 tri top.

It cools like no tomorrow. In fact after dark I have to take it off as it makes me too cold. It works best when wet. At each water station just pour the remnants of your water bottle over yourself before you discard and take a new one. It is like stepping into air conditioning.

Also takes away any risk of sunburn (SPF50).

I have found that this does not work so well in cycling and running races where you have a sleeved top as the restricted airflow to the arm pits stops the cooling action and can make you hotter.

At the recent Midlands Ultra I did a trial run for IM2013. For the swim I wore speedo as underpant so to speak under my wetsuit. In T1 I put a full padded cycling short on. In T2 I swopped the cycling short with a running compression short. Admittedly it did not all go smoothly was at least 1-2 mins slower through T1 and T2 than the garf but I was comfortable. In a 12hr+ event comfort is going to be of paramount importance for me.

During the last Germies Olympic distance I wore a 1 piece and needed to heed the call of nature during the run. This was not a good experience. The 1 piece shoulder straps and zip etc just got in the way.

Going forward 2 piece for me.

Edited by Seeker911