Open water swims in Joburg...

dracs

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, we swim from the canoe club around the white buoys - same direction as the paddlers (wear a bright cap) i.e. clockwise (well, if they are going clockwise). It's about a 1km lap. I think it's better to keep to the middle of the dam, but they will go around you anyway

Isn't it safer to swim inside the buoys so that the paddlers don't need to go around you?

Is anyone going to be swimming there this Friday?

I'd feel a little more comfortable not swimming there alone....

Is anyone going to be swimming there this Friday?

I'd feel a little more comfortable not swimming there alone....

I'm going to go there this afternoon after 17:00, didn't go yesterday because of the storm, I might go on Friday too.

I'd also rather not swim there alone but I think it should be OK if there are paddlers there too.

When I arrived on Sat I at first I didnt see anyone else in a wetsuit. Was super reluctant to be the only person swimming in one but luckily some other triathletes rocked up in theirs.

Enjoyed the swim. Would be interested to see the official times so I can get my lap splits. Damn those kids are fast though

Is the 3k just 2 laps of the 1.5k? So you exit the water and go over the timing mats on each lap? I'm keen to give the longer one a bash next time round.

Is the 3k just 2 laps of the 1.5k? So you exit the water and go over the timing mats on each lap? I'm keen to give the longer one a bash next time round.

3 laps of 1km.

You swim under an arch which has a timing mat hanging from it - hit the mat with either hand as you swim under.

I'm going to go there this afternoon after 17:00, didn't go yesterday because of the storm, I might go on Friday too.

I'd also rather not swim there alone but I think it should be OK if there are paddlers there too.

I also skipped it due to storm, will try Wed at 5:45, anyone welcome to join!!

Edited by Milkworx

Will try for tomorrow and/or Friday. Today might be a little tricky with work

It's the lightning that puts me off, wouldn't I be the highest point around while swimming in a dam? :unsure:

Forecast says that it should be sunny by 17:00 so hoping for the best.

swim breast stroke and keep everything under the water at all times :thumbup: except your head when taking a quick breathe

I went for a swim in Emmarentia yesterday, the water was clean by the jetty but not as clean closer to the inflow, I think it's probably from the recent rains. Open water swimming was pretty tough for me, no sides to hold onto when you're tired :D. I'm gonna train a bit more in the pool before going again.