Rim damage - repair - Metal Fatigue

KnightViper

Hi guys - Went out this morning for a training ride and on getting to the first hill climb I managed to rip one of my spokes out of the rim - see picture.

Is this rim a right-off or can it be fixed.

Also would this be metal fatigue that caused this to happen.

cheers

Knightviper.

post-39092-0-00188900-1356248113_thumb.jpg

You could have it repaired, but it would probably be more expensive than getting a new rim and transplanting all the bits.

Reason - extra material at rip point = unbalanced rim = affected ride

Very difficult (and expensive) to weld aluminium, especially given that profile.

If one of them has gone like that, the rest will surely follow.

Bite the bullet and get a new one.

Alternatively, if you have good insurance you could claim against it for the cost of a replacement rim.

Not what you wanted to hear, but it's like that, and that's the way it is.

You have asked yourself if this is caused by metal fatigue and it possibly is. So doing a repair on a fatgued rim will only shift the problem to the next spoke. I think the advice to get a new one is sound so go treat yourself to a new set, you deserve it afterall it is christmas!

You have asked yourself if this is caused by metal fatigue and it possibly is. So doing a repair on a fatgued rim will only shift the problem to the next spoke. I think the advice to get a new one is sound so go treat yourself to a new set, you deserve it afterall it is christmas!

+1

Contact (John) Neugent directly on his website www.neuvationcycling.com. A few years ago Cape Cycles were taking too long to find me a hub for my M28 Aero's, so I mailed him and he posted me one directly, free of charge.. Worth a try I guess..

You could have it repaired, but it would probably be more expensive than getting a new rim and transplanting all the bits.

Reason - extra material at rip point = unbalanced rim = affected ride

Very difficult (and expensive) to weld aluminium, especially given that profile.

If one of them has gone like that, the rest will surely follow.

Bite the bullet and get a new one.

Alternatively, if you have good insurance you could claim against it for the cost of a replacement rim.

Not what you wanted to hear, but it's like that, and that's the way it is.

Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmm.

LOL. What are you Hmmmmm-ing at, JB? The cost factor, or the potential unbalanced rim?

Cost would only be a factor in that it would be more economical to get a new, undamaged rim than to repair this one again and again and again. Because it will fail again.

The unbalanced rim - yes, if the weld is good, the rim will be balanced. BUT - it will still happen again. And if the weld is bad, then it could create more problems than it solves...

What's your take?