Best of the best racing road bikes 2013?

sharkysa

Was looking at Maestro's in UK and a C59 frameset is R32500 ( todays exchange rate) plus R5200 (16% vat and duties) but that is still excluding shipping. I cant find shipping quotes on site. I have had a look lately at Campy prices and CWC are cheaper than CRC. If you are going to import a frame best you buy parts locally. Importing though has it's disadvantage with warranty claims.

Edited by Cippo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this baby yet...

Lifetime warranty on frame for first owner.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/shaheedosman/d6765fdad17dd1cbe84e882596cbcfcb.jpg

Edited by Cippo

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/shaheedosman/d6765fdad17dd1cbe84e882596cbcfcb.jpg

and lifetime supply of PEDsph34r.png

Good to roll with you this morning, sharkysa.

All the best with your decision.

What a lekka one to have!

Hope you guys enjoyed the rest of the ride. I can tell you the choice is tough and like you put it,

Italian heritage and tradition

Or the latest technology

Test ride may be the only option

Was looking at Maestro's in UK and a C59 frameset is R32500 ( todays exchange rate) plus R5200 (16% vat and duties) but that is still excluding shipping. I cant find shipping quotes on site. I have had a look lately at Campy prices and CWC are cheaper than CRC. If you are going to import a frame best you buy parts locally. Importing though has it's disadvantage with warranty claims.

I spoke to he owner of Maestro today, interesting character. He has some strong views on the bike industry and have me some insight into just how little a carbon frame costs at the factory gate! $100 for an authentic pinarello....

He is Colnago through and through, limited frames hand built and painted. And he really dislikes the American companies. He basically said Colnago is the only frame not built in China or Taiwan.

There is also a cool video of Ernest Colnago On the website telling his story. Talk about italian passion.

After spending to much time riding on the dirt and after enjoying Killarney racing week after week I have decided to upgrade my road bike and try this road racing.

I have a 2010 specialized Roubaix Pro, Ultegra, Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels. Now I want something a bit more racey and cool.

On my shooping list

1. Colnago C59 - They now come with disc brakes - wtf

2. Pinarello Dogma Think 2 - Everyone with a bit of money seems to have one! To popular

3. Merckx EMX 525 - The Cannibal, gotta be an option!

4. Cervelo R5 - Clean lines, mmm

5. Specialized SL4 - Only had specialized bikes so keen for a change.

My preference these days is Shimano, but some may say those Italian frames deserve campy?

The Colnago with a Capmy Gruppo. Nutting like an Italian thoroughbred

Whilst I am not a Trek fan. This is bloody lovely!!!!

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1100/j3yxlj/products/34/images/173/cRR_8276_Custom__72389.1354554875.1280.1280.JPG

I spoke to he owner of Maestro today, interesting character. He has some strong views on the bike industry and have me some insight into just how little a carbon frame costs at the factory gate! $100 for an authentic pinarello....

He is Colnago through and through, limited frames hand built and painted. And he really dislikes the American companies. He basically said Colnago is the only frame not built in China or Taiwan.

There is also a cool video of Ernest Colnago On the website telling his story. Talk about italian passion.

For traditional/heritage type brands, Colnago is my pick.

For a high tech modern bike, Cervelo. I prefer the R5 over that funny looking aero bike they have.

Some bikes around the world are still made in house by theircompanies, like most Parlees, for example (except the z5)

Edited by Christie

Fondriest TF Zero is also still made in Italy. The rest of there range is made in Taiwan but shipped back to Italy for inspection and paint, assembly. Checkout www.fondriestbici.com

Talking about Italian thoroughbreds have you heard of Sarto (www. sartoantonio.it ) pm ' ti guy' here on the hub, he imports them. He posted this beauty in 'Black bikes' thread awhile back. He is in Stellies afaik.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/102345-black-bikes-only-thread/page__st__1184. Worth a look. He takes a while to pm back.

Ive seen some of those up close, the road bikes look super. Too bad his 29er mtb ht is on the porky side (my next project)

695 Confidis 2013

Very nice. A bit loud, but I think it would look good with a black on black build for all components. (It would look even better without the "Look" lettering on the top tube and seat stays imo)

695 USA 2013

BLEH! eek.gif

Edited by Christie