Attempted mugging: Woodstock - 30 December 2012

organism

The advantage of spray over the gun is that you need not make direct contact with the baddy to use the spray Like the stun gun and you can use the spray in a crazed arms flapping arc should you need to get more than one person.

And be careful of getting any on your good self, that stuff is hectic! I used a few squirts on a thief recently to retrieve my goods (ladder stolen from my house), he was amongst a group, which scattered fast, but inadvertently I got some on my skin and a few molecules in my eyes, that was very unpleasant and almost incapacitating.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what do you do once said thief is incapacitated and rolling on the floor? I am not sure that my next move would be a calm and collected get away...

Then what do you do once said thief is incapacitated and rolling on the floor? I am not sure that my next move would be a calm and collected get away...

Good thing that stuff does not burn shoes, huh?

Well what you should do and what your emotions drive you to do is probably not the same thing.

Here's what should be done: Keep some long cable ties in your back pack, cuff the cretin and call the cops, lay charges.

Easier said than done though.

A few years back while waiting at the robot outside the Orange st. Engen. I saw a mugger taking a hand bag and camera from elderly tourists who wondered down from the Mount Nelson. I decided to help out and gave chase, when he realized that I was going to beat him he dropped the goods which I collected. Only to draw a six inch blade and start chasing me! When I got to the car the tourist where in my back seat and I dived in and sped off. This all happened over a few minutes but nobody helped at that busy intersection....

Tourists where dropped off safe and sound never to return. So now I drive around well prepared and ready.

Nasty incident, glad you came out ok. Also very wary of riding solo these days, think I may follow the other guys on this thread and look at getting some pepper spray tho for when I have too

Mate of mine has a pepper spray bottle attached with velcro. Easy and quick to access. Can have it off and spraying in a second.

A few years back while waiting at the robot outside the Orange st. Engen. I saw a mugger taking a hand bag and camera from elderly tourists who wondered down from the Mount Nelson. I decided to help out and gave chase, when he realized that I was going to beat him he dropped the goods which I collected. Only to draw a six inch blade and start chasing me! When I got to the car the tourist where in my back seat and I dived in and sped off. This all happened over a few minutes but nobody helped at that busy intersection....

Tourists where dropped off safe and sound never to return. So now I drive around well prepared and ready.

20 years ago I chased a mugger who just mugged an old lady a block from where I lived in the Strand. Eventually I caught up to him and he turned around to attack me ... survival instincts kicked in and I ran away.

When I returned to the scene with the cops we found a 30cm knife and cops told me that running away was the only right thing to do.

About 2yrs back a women was being mugged in front of our flat in Somerset West. This time I only intervened to ensure the safety of the victim. The mugger got such a fright when I started shouting for more help as I ran to assist that he bolted down the road. The victim was uninjured and we recovered all her possessions.

Our lives are more important thing.

I think pepper spray would act more as a deterrent than anything else. If you hold a small can in your hand, your assailant might think a little before executing his next move. Mind you, with the CT wind, pepper spray might not be ideal. In the instance mentioned above I recommend having it Velcroed to your person not the bike, when I landed I was a good .5m away from my bike and the piece of rubbish was standing over me between me and my bike.

I'm going to get me a little can, just for in case. I'll be looking for something I can carry at most times. Just needs a short burst to diffuse the situation.

Pepper stream spray works, its pepper mist spray that we should not use in the Cape. Just visit a good security store to help you. SWAT is one of the best products.

A lot of stores also stock jumbo sized training sprays, might be worth the extra expense to get one. Nothing worst than when your in an emergency and you don't know how to use your spray.

post-43-0-48445800-1357030473_thumb.jpg

This is what I carried on my commutes.

Identical selection. You could wrap the handle of the KISS tyre lever in some tube for better grip and disguise.

Identical selection. You could wrap the handle of the KISS tyre lever in some tube for better grip and disguise.

Where you guys get that knife? I like the idea - but more for cutting biltong a fruit and the farm stalls.

Where you guys get that knife? I like the idea - but more for cutting biltong a fruit and the farm stalls.

Self defense shop in Sandton City. I have had it for more than 10 years and it still as sharp as a razor

I have a retractable truncheon, thing isn't too heavy and similar size to my pump, It'll be my cycling friend in future.

Thanks for all your support and advice though.