GoPro Mounting on bars

awesme

Quick question, will the normal GoPro handle bar/seat post mount fit all mtb and road handlebars or should i go for the bigger Roll bar mount?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, will the normal GoPro handle bar/seat post mount fit all mtb and road handlebars or should i go for the bigger Roll bar mount?

Normal one works fine - as people said you must just make sure the thing is tightened like a mofo else it will come loose. I have had it happen to me and I nearly lost my camera! I actually had a look at the roll bar mount yesterday, it's pretty big actually so I decided to stick with the normal one.

I saw a guy who used the normal mount and attached his camera to the top of his fork stanchion. Nice place to get an alternate view but I would be worried of the thing coming loose and slipping down and either landing in a spoke (imagine the crash) or coming off completely. Also I assume it would probably scatch the stanchion as well...

Hi guys

ok how do you do this, I got the handle bar mount, onto which I then have to add the little arm that twist the 3 fingers 90 degrees to match up with the camera,

problem, on rough road the camera either swivels forward or backward, other than me tightening de m03r in to the point where I battle to undo it again.

so what does everyone else do? - Def makes sense to us a splice type of join

G

I had the same problem, but undid all the knuckle joints and put a bit of carbon assembly compound (the grease with the grit) on each of the interfaces - no longer need to tighten more than finger tight. Definitely agree that the GoPro mounting is the biggest weakness of an otherwise amazing product!

It would seem that the GoPro mounts have a serious design flaw. In the last 3 months, I know of two mounts that just broke during a normal road ride. It would appear that the mounts have some issues handling the bumps.

The first GoPro hit the ground and was damaged and the second GoPro my friend managed to catch the camera before it hit the deck.

I found the best trick is to:

• take the bar mount
  • place it back in your car/backpack/from wherever it came.
  • Mount GoPro somewhere else.

Seriously though. As cool as the bar mount concept is, it shakes like crazy on anything except a butter-smooth trail. You'll leve your veiwers feeling motion sickness.

No matter how hard I tightened mine, it eventually swivels and the camera angle drops. Once I had it mounted on my seatpost to film backwards while a friend was following me off a drop and over a jump. After the drop the camera swivelled down and got caught between the seat-stays and the rear tyre, acting as a brake while I was just about to hit a gap jump. I got off easy. I could have been injured badly all from that silly mount.

So if you're riding anything more than district roads, you're going to sukkel with that mount.

I found the best trick is to:

• take the bar mount
  • place it back in your car/backpack/from wherever it came.
  • Mount GoPro somewhere else.

Seriously though. As cool as the bar mount concept is, it shakes like crazy on anything except a butter-smooth trail. You'll leve your veiwers feeling motion sickness.

No matter how hard I tightened mine, it eventually swivels and the camera angle drops. Once I had it mounted on my seatpost to film backwards while a friend was following me off a drop and over a jump. After the drop the camera swivelled down and got caught between the seat-stays and the rear tyre, acting as a brake while I was just about to hit a gap jump. I got off easy. I could have been injured badly all from that silly mount.

So if you're riding anything more than district roads, you're going to sukkel with that mount.

"Mount GoPro somewhere else" - Where ???

Using the helmet mount on the motorbike (GS) and now want to use the GoPro on the MTB. New %$&* CSA rules don't allow helmet mounting anymore, correct?

Chest strap the allowed (only) solution then?

"Mount GoPro somewhere else" - Where ???

Using the helmet mount on the motorbike (GS) and now want to use the GoPro on the MTB. New %$&* CSA rules don't allow helmet mounting anymore, correct?

Chest strap the allowed (only) solution then?

I'm not too sure on CSA rules, cos quite frankly, I don't care about them.

But I'm guessing you are concerned about them because you want to film during races?!

If so, then yes the chesty is an option. Although not as stable as a helmet mount, it does offer more bump absorbtion (thanks to the riders body) than a bar mount. It also doesn't suffer from the rotating slip that bar mounts do, so your chosen angle stays put.

A trick with the chesty is to mount the camera upside down (or you won't be able to aim it up enough to get a good angle). Then go into your camera settings and set the filming mode to upside down.

Another pro to the chesty vs. bar mount... is that in the event of a bail, one is likely to instinctively protect their chest (and therefore the camera). A bar mounted camera is likely to take some abuse during a crash.

But hey! Screw the CSA and filming races... they're boring to replay anyway! Film for fun! Film the way you want to!

Edited by patches

It would seem that the GoPro mounts have a serious design flaw. In the last 3 months, I know of two mounts that just broke during a normal road ride. It would appear that the mounts have some issues handling the bumps.

The first GoPro hit the ground and was damaged and the second GoPro my friend managed to catch the camera before it hit the deck.

I've broken two bar mounts on road rides. Both times the camera hit the tar (once at over 60 km/h.) Both times the camera was OK, but I lost the file (camera reset without save.) The camera is too heavy for the type of plastic.

I've got a K-Edge metal bar mount now. I haven't tried it enough yet to know if it will work. The bar mount should now survive, but the plastic waterproof camera case might crack.

If at all possible, mount the camera upside down (hanging rather than standing) which will help prevent the camera swinging out of position. Gravity will swing it back.

It's also possible to use a tube or bartape between the handlebar and clamp to act as a vibration damper. This will reduce stress. Anything rougher than a farm road though, and like patches said: the footage will induce sickness.

CSA/UCI won't allow helmet mounts (they're scared it'll increase the damage to your skull should you crash), and it wouldn't surprise me to see UCI ban chest straps because it might cover some sponsor logo or something. Mabe they're scared you film Pat doing something he shouldn't be doing.

CSA already bans chest mounts as well (as relayed by marshalls / RD at last two races I did). Only place you may mount it is on the bike :(

Mount it upside down, not the best pics but basically have the arms of the main bracket face at about 25 degrees on the post, the camera sits tucked infront of your cables and bike boards, it cuases less stress on the brackets, so they dont brake so easily. and it never rotates or moves and you dont have to have the screws too tight, light pressure holds it nicely in place, just remember to change the setting to record in UPd mode tongue.png oh and if you have to flip the bike upside down for some trail maintenance the camera is out of harms way too.

post-14491-0-65935000-1357131683_thumb.jpg

post-14491-0-57522000-1357131689_thumb.jpg

Edited by covie

CSA already bans chest mounts as well (as relayed by marshalls / RD at last two races I did). Only place you may mount it is on the bike sad.png

Yeah, I was moaned at by a marshall at a Nissan race in 2011. I had a chesty mount on and he said "GoPro's are against UCI rules". I told him "Good thing this isn't a UCI race", then smiled, then ignored him.

But I guess if CSA has jumped on the band wagon (wanting to be like big brother UCI), and most SA races are CSA affiliated, then I guess the rule keepers will have to play along.

But as I stated earlier... watching over XC race footage is so boring (well to me anyway), so if I ever bother with another XC race, I won't be that phased that I can't film it.

And I know, not everyone gets to go on awesome downhilling holidays to the french/swiss alps to capture some really worthwhile footage (yeah, I know... I'm bragging, but it really is that awesome :D )... but I think just about any funrides with friends are a more suitable place to whip out the camera, than races where CSA dictates the way you use your own toys.

Mount it upside down, not the best pics but basically have the arms of the main bracket face at about 25 degrees on the post, the camera sits tucked infront of your cables and bike boards, it cuases less stress on the brackets, so they dont brake so easily. and it never rotates or moves and you dont have to have the screws too tight, light pressure holds it nicely in place, just remember to change the setting to record in UPd mode tongue.png oh and if you have to flip the bike upside down for some trail maintenance the camera is out of harms way too.

Does one also have to install the cap-plate of their stem upside down too? :P ;)

Yeah, I was moaned at by a marshall at a Nissan race in 2011. I had a chesty mount on and he said "GoPro's are against UCI rules". I told him "Good thing this isn't a UCI race", then smiled, then ignored him.

But I guess if CSA has jumped on the band wagon (wanting to be like big brother UCI), and most SA races are CSA affiliated, then I guess the rule keepers will have to play along.

But as I stated earlier... watching over XC race footage is so boring (well to me anyway), so if I ever bother with another XC race, I won't be that phased that I can't film it.

And I know, not everyone gets to go on awesome downhilling holidays to the french/swiss alps to capture some really worthwhile footage (yeah, I know... I'm bragging, but it really is that awesome biggrin.png )... but I think just about any funrides with friends are a more suitable place to whip out the camera, than races where CSA dictates the way you use your own toys.

Its only the nissan series where they moan, last year they moaned at gravel travel, i ignored them, this year they didnt say anything.

Its only the nissan series where they moan, last year they moaned at gravel travel, i ignored them, this year they didnt say anything.

yeah, exactly! What about races like Sani2C and Epic where supplies sponsor dozens of GoPros for riders to film with during the race.

Usual story... when one person has authority over the other, they'll exercise it just because they can, not for any logical reason.

Edited by patches