Road bike tyres

Kat24

Hi

I am new to cycling. I have had my bike, a small Juliet Merida for 3 months. I bought it second hand. Over the weekend, my tyre valve started leaking and I took my bike in for repairs. The technician that helped me said that I will need to replace my tyres soon as they are getting "flat spots". I would just like to know what things I should consider when purchasing tyres and how much I should expect to pay. I cycle for fun and don't compete in anyway so I am just looking for tyres that are durable and reliable.

Thanks so much! Excuse my inexperience... I cycled the 94.7 for the first time in 2012 and at that time I had only just learned how to ride with cleats just to give you a bit of background... blush.png I wil also be riding the Argus and need to get my tyres sorted before then of course. smile.png

Not sure about those 'flat spots' he mentions hey - unless someone has been climbing on the brakes and skidding, I find that hard to believe - maybe you need to take some pics and lets see what he's on about. You are probably in for about R250 to R350 per tyre though (if you get them locally) - and if you are not going to race, there are very few bad brands out there - Continental, Bontrager, Maxxis, Kenda - all will be good enough for your type of riding. I know there was a special on a while ago at a few of the PTA shops - R299 for Continental - can't really go wrong with that hey.

Edited by Andymann

oh, and make sure whatever make tyres you get, that they match the size of the ones that you are replacing - they should read the numbers 700 x 23C somewhere on the side. What tyres are on the Merida now?

A good tyre to look at is a Maxxis Detonator. They are cheap at about R150 per tyre and they last forever. Another really good option is Continental Gatorskins, they also last forever, but are double the price of the Detonators.

Flat spots are caused mostly by under inflating a tire but can also be occasionally over inflation, bike tires used on indoor trainer can also cause this to happen.

As suggested by others gatorskins are very good,

Continental Gatorskins for 350-400. best pubture protection. The wired ones should be ok. The GP4000 S is not durable.
they just don't work so well when you get a hole in the sidewall.

Other than that I love my gator skins.

I'm very happy with my Gatorskins. I'm not a racing snake, so ride 25c for a bit more comfort.

I am also considering getting 25c tyres. How much difference do they make concerning comfort?

I am also considering getting 25c tyres. How much difference do they make concerning comfort?

I run them at 100psi, so they add a bit of cushioning compared to the 23c's at 120 psi. Its subtle though, not like you get on and say 'wow' these are comfy.

Vredestein, Ricorso, Serfas Seca....had them both and have had less than five punctures on both sets...had to replace them due to wear though. And they come at around R150 - R180 per tire. Your aim is basic riding and training, so the few extra grams is not a mission either.

Don't overspend!!

Learn to change an inner tube, or cycle with a buddy that knows how to do itthumbup1.gif

@javadude....I read a study done with 23c, 25c and 28c tires. They found the wider tires actually had less rolling resistance, but the comfort factor from riding at lower pressure was by far the biggest gain. I read it about 4 years ago, so don't ask me where to find itph34r.png They ride the wider tires on the Paris-Roubaix and other cobble races.

You can fit up to a 28c on a standard rimthumbup1.gif

Serfas Seca - I swear by them on all 5 bikes. Thinking offhand, I remember 1 puncture only. About R150 per tyre, I prefer the wired tyre over the foldable as they're easier to get on the rim. Plus they've got groovy stripes you can colour-code to your bike.

oh, and make sure whatever make tyres you get, that they match the size of the ones that you are replacing - they should read the numbers 700 x 23C somewhere on the side. What tyres are on the Merida now?

On the tyre it says:

(770 X 23C) Vittoria 23-622

Could you perhaps enlighten me as to what this means? haha

Thanks everyone for all the information! it is really helpful. I am always afraid of being ripped off because I know nothing about cycling products so I appreciate all the advice.

My tyres currently have slime in them. From what I understand, this seals punctures if they develope. I would like tyres that have this as well. Is it a particlar tyre that you buy or can you "add" the slime to any tyre?

On the tyre it says:

(770 X 23C) Vittoria 23-622

Could you perhaps enlighten me as to what this means? haha

Thanks everyone for all the information! it is really helpful. I am always afraid of being ripped off because I know nothing about cycling products so I appreciate all the advice.

My tyres currently have slime in them. From what I understand, this seals punctures if they develope. I would like tyres that have this as well. Is it a particlar tyre that you buy or can you "add" the slime to any tyre?

Doubt if your tires do have slime in then especially on a road bike. The tubes do have these slime pumped into it so if you fit new tires with the same tubes no problem.

Doubt if your tires do have slime in then especially on a road bike. The tubes do have these slime pumped into it so if you fit new tires with the same tubes no problem.

I did manage to get 50 ml of slime in my road tubes, but it is a bit of a mission. The problem is that at 8 bar the slime does not seal too well. I found all the slime between the tube and tire after a puncture blush.png If you ride at lower pessure it will be effective. I am rather rotundous, so at lower pressure snakebites are very possible.

Serfas Seca - I swear by them on all 5 bikes. Thinking offhand, I remember 1 puncture only. About R150 per tyre, I prefer the wired tyre over the foldable as they're easier to get on the rim. Plus they've got groovy stripes you can colour-code to your bike.

I am also a fan of Serfas Seca. They have a great flat protection system, are hard wearing and reasonably cheap. So they make for a good training tyre and can double as a race tyre if you are not a serious racer.