Cleated or Uncleated

Creme' Boulle'

Not a bad idea at all. Spent the last couple of rides on flats just to brush up on my skills again.

It makes a huge difference in how you approach things.

Ill be back on spd's for tomorrow's ride though.

Actually have a pair of Wellgo MG1's but don't have the shoes to wear with them. So maybe I need to buy the shoes, test it all out and if I'm happy get a decent pair of flats.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I was exactly like you but reasonably good with technical.

Hated being locked in. I moved to Crank Brothers mallets.

Clip in on smooth climbs and downs. Click out on the hard stuff.

Best of both worlds.

The new 2013 mallets ,,not the 2012 are what u need .

Don't let them fool you look up the shape of the 2013 ones. I ordering a new pair in month when they hit the stores in the USA or uk u welcome to join u order.

I'm actually in that category that went to clipless too soon.

Whenever I do a bunny hop I do the pull thing which is gonna bite me in the a$$ soon.

Also looking into getting some flats to get my technique up to scratch.

Maybe a very relative question, but which 5ten's are better? Mostly trail riding & the XC to get to the trail. Also want to focus on learning to bunny hop properly as well as some light jumping.

Ok, I was exactly like you but reasonably good with technical.

Hated being locked in. I moved to Crank Brothers mallets.

Clip in on smooth climbs and downs. Click out on the hard stuff.

Best of both worlds.

The new 2013 mallets ,,not the 2012 are what u need .

Don't let them fool you look up the shape of the 2013 ones. I ordering a new pair in month when they hit the stores in the USA or uk u welcome to join u order.

you dont find with these dual pedals that you accidentally clip in when you least want it?

To each his own, I guess. I started out with flats not too long ago but once I felt what climbing was like with cleats I was hooked, so to speak. Felt better on the bumpy downhillss as well, but then again I never rode with 5-10's, just takkies...

This is why I no longer ride in cleats - no matter how loose I set them, never got out when I needed to in a hurry and I enjoy the really technical stuff and never push downhill.

Cost was R75K for repairs - got back R500 on Gumtree for pedals and shoes and bought strap on pedals and leave them slightly loose for quick escape. Much happier - my opinion based on 21 years on a MTB using strap on pedals.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/Landy1973/IMG00293-20110127-1922.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/Landy1973/IMG00102-20110128-1601.jpg

To each his own, I guess. I started out with flats not too long ago but once I felt what climbing was like with cleats I was hooked, so to speak. Felt better on the bumpy downhillss as well, but then again I never rode with 5-10's, just takkies...

Are you talking about the push pull method, i have always ridden in cleats but never push pull.

This is why I no longer ride in cleats - no matter how loose I set them, never got out when I needed to in a hurry and I enjoy the really technical stuff and never push downhill.

Cost was R75K for repairs - got back R500 on Gumtree for pedals and shoes and bought strap on pedals and leave them slightly loose for quick escape. Much happier - my opinion based on 21 years on a MTB using strap on pedals.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/Landy1973/IMG00293-20110127-1922.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/Landy1973/IMG00102-20110128-1601.jpg

Ouch, one of the reasons i want to change, i have a hi profile job and cannot be outof action, but i suppose a fall is a fall, clipped or not, touch wood.

While lying in the hospital watching MTB on sports channel, I noticed most accidents had the bike still welded to the competitors feet until impact, when the bike finally let go.

In my strap on pedals I give a big push and most times manage to clear the handle bars and land on my feet or in a bush.

I had many falls with my cleats and swore to change them, but left it one day too late.

At least the school fees, although expensive, resulted in me still continuing on the MTB even though walking can be little painfull and numb toes after a cycle are the only complications

I ride with flat pedals on one side, and clips on the other side. It works for me - I can clip in when i want to, and I have the freedom to try technical stuff above my ability if i want to. The flat sides have little stick-out thingies which makes my soles grip nicely on them - it's rubber soles, so the are flexible, dont slip, and can grab the pedals, enabling me to do a bunny-hop without being clipped in :)

best of both.

I only have one bike, but I have three sets of pedals. One XC spd pair, one trail spd pair and a pair of Nukeproof flats.

For racing or long rides I use spd's, but I dedicate one week a month to skills, and then I use the flat pedals and appropiate shoes. My skills have improved exponentially since doing this, and to be honest, the flat pedal/shoe combo works so good that I have even done a few 50km rides with them, without feeling disadvantaged at all.

If you want to improve your skills you need to fit flat pedals and lower that freakin saddle!! It will open the door to a brand new world of technical riding.

I only have one bike, but I have three sets of pedals. One XC spd pair, one trail spd pair and a pair of Nukeproof flats.

For racing or long rides I use spd's, but I dedicate one week a month to skills, and then I use the flat pedals and appropiate shoes. My skills have improved exponentially since doing this, and to be honest, the flat pedal/shoe combo works so good that I have even done a few 50km rides with them, without feeling disadvantaged at all.

If you want to improve your skills you need to fit flat pedals and lower that freakin saddle!! It will open the door to a brand new world of technical riding

Amen!

Testify brother Brian! Testify!

Done, going to buy a pair of Nukes, not sure on the shoes just yet but Specialized make a pair of uncleated shoes, my wife rides with them, they are fantastic, might just stay with the brand, we rode Modder today, did 50km cleated all the way, modder not that technical, we rode Hola trails in Ballito last week, very different ride, also rode Tokai in Cpt the week before, did the whole thing cleated, but that is a whole different ball game all together.

Amen!

Amen!

Amen!

Amen!

Amen!

Exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

I think all riders should learn to ride and ride well on flats before even considering clipping in.

Mind giving us beginners some tips on proper riding?