Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

And it is legal to ride there...

So technically if it does not say it is a freeway then you can ride on it BUT is it safe? That is another story.

Good distinction, Niner...

I rode that segment coming from Milnerton to Woodstock a week ago.

Did not feel safe at all. I couldn't wait to get onto the Woodstock slipway.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Juslaaik maar julle is halstarrig. Read my definitions I posted earlier, FFS it is my job to know it, and stop justifying your own descriptions. If you do not understand what I wrote ask me and I will try explaining it in kindergarten iengliesh.

Less focus on RIGHTS and more on RESPONSIBILITIES.

+1 but I'd also like to add REhumanisation of people.

If drivers and other road users saw cyclists as human beings instead of lycra clad meat sack obstacles we would not have the situation we have now.

I don't know if it's the move to cyberworld, the new south africa or a global trend but there is very little humanity left in humans.

My tribute to Burry is to try and rehumanise humanity.

+1 but I'd also like to add REhumanisation of people.

If drivers and other road users saw cyclists as human beings instead of lycra clad meat sack obstacles we would not have the situation we have now.

You have a point. However, it would appear that most road users view all other road users as obstacles to them getting to the gym or the garage for smokes and a pie.

There's a general I'll kill you to get there one second faster, and by the way, I'll kill you for even breathing the same air as me, attitude around. You call it a humanity thing, and that's closer than a cyclist vs motorist thing.

You have a point. However, it would appear that most road users view all other road users as obstacles to them getting to the gym or the garage for smokes and a pie.

There's a general I'll kill you to get there one second faster, and by the way, I'll kill you for even breathing the same air as me, attitude around. You call it a humanity thing, and that's closer than a cyclist vs motorist thing.

Agreed. Dehumanisation seems to be a global trend and road rage is only one example of it.

I don't know if it's the move to cyberworld, the new south africa or a global trend but there is very little humanity left in humans.

My tribute to Burry is to try and rehumanise humanity.

Everyone is too worried about themselves, their own well-being and stopped caring about fellow men.

Ross told us on Sunday about a guy at a race who wouldn't spare him a squirt of sun-cream. It's sun-cream, not R5000.

Where is this going? Not sure I want to know.

Morals and upbringing aside, until we have proper traffic control things are just going to get worse. Traffic control does not include speed trapping on the freeway and a presence during the holiday season.....it means all year round control of all infringements....road worthiness, licences, speed, following distance, illegal actions such as overtaking on a solid line etc etc. Until people are scared of being caught and having a fine that they have to pay...nothing will change....I was astounded to see the number of people driving around without number plates over the Christmas season so they could speed and not be identified...scary!

Morals and upbringing aside, until we have proper traffic control things are just going to get worse. Traffic control does not include speed trapping on the freeway and a presence during the holiday season.....it means all year round control of all infringements....road worthiness, licences, speed, following distance, illegal actions such as overtaking on a solid line etc etc. Until people are scared of being caught and having a fine that they have to pay...nothing will change....I was astounded to see the number of people driving around without number plates over the Christmas season so they could speed and not be identified...scary!

Owning up. Not many people have it in them.

Went for a ride this morning in the Joburg, Airport route and as I was nearing home around 6:20am and as I was taking the corner going left a Taxi zips past and stops right in front of me on the damn corner because there are cars going to come past on his right from the road perpendicular, at 20k's an hour I had just enough time to slow down and skid the bike so as not to go through the rear window. 50m Up the road...another Taxi is stationed illegally on the left hand side of the 2 way lane road and having to pass him on his right, again no regard and just pulls off!

Conclusion - Eish I did not see him!

Why, because these guys don't observe rear view or side view mirrors and anything for that matter. In fact, it's either one huge blind-spot in their defense or these guys are not observing anything on the road.

That attitude for just pulling off or making an impulsive U-turn is what got Burry killed!

I am saddened by the fact that not only was an icon snuffed out before his time because of someone else's ignorance but even more so that nothing will be even done about it!

The Driver said he never saw Stander, so the court go's okay no more questions - you free to go as long as you don't do it again - bull***t!

Went for a ride this morning in the Joburg, Airport route and as I was nearing home around 6:20am and as I was taking the corner going left a Taxi zips past and stops right in front of me on the damn corner because there are cars going to come past on his right from the road perpendicular, at 20k's an hour I had just enough time to slow down and skid the bike so as not to go through the rear window. 50m Up the road...another Taxi is stationed illegally on the left hand side of the 2 way lane road and having to pass him on his right, again no regard and just pulls off!

Why, because these guys don't observe rear view or side view mirrors and anything for that matter. In fact, it's either one huge blind-spot in their defense or these guys are not observing anything on the road.

That attitude for just pulling off or making an impulsive U-turn is what got Burry killed!

I am saddened by the fact that not only was an icon snuffed out before his time because of someone else's ignorance but even more so that nothing will be even done about it!

The Driver said he never saw Stander, so the court go's okay no more questions - you free to go as long as you don't do it again - bull***t!

People need to stop calling avoidable and forseeable situtaions "accidents". Sure, the driver didn't intend to cause harm per se, but he didn't care whether or not he did so. Ergo it is not an accident. it was a crash/smash caused by negligence and the driver must take accountability for either not looking (and as such not seeing) or not caring. It certainly can not be excused as an "accident".

Agreed - Went for a ride this morning in the Joburg, Airport route and as I was nearing home around 6:20am and as I was taking the corner going left a Taxi zips past and stops right in front of me on the damn corner because there are cars going to come past on his right from the road perpendicular, at 20k's an hour I had just enough time to slow down and skid the bike so as not to go through the rear window. 50m Up the road...another Taxi is stationed illegally on the left hand side of the 2 way lane road and having to pass him on his right, again no regard and just pulls off!

I am saddened by the fact that not only was an icon snuffed out before his time because of someone else's ignorance but even more so that nothing will be even done about it! RIP Burry!

Indeed, the truth is at this point its an unknown but the hysterical blame game needs to stop.

From what I see the driver has complied fully with the authorities, he stopped and waited for the police and made a statement as did others. I understand charges will be laid and later a court will decide the outcome, as tragic as it is, accidents are no respecter of status, they happen to everyone, young and old, rich and poor, famous or just ordinary, everyday is a gift.

It is a fact the taxis are a law unto themselves, forget about what happened here. They overtake on solid lines, pass left on the EMERGENCY lanes. 90% of them exceed the 100km/h they are suppose to drive on the freeways. They jump red lights, cut in in front of other drivers and almost never use any indicators. Another favourite is to make a u-turn on busy city roads to get to the other side of their temporary, rubble invested taxi-rank. Add to this the fact that they are aggresive road users and you have a bad mix. Goverment is not equiped to deal them a decisive blow to become responsible road users. Most taxi drivers are arrogant to say the least. So yes, if you then have a incident like Burry's then you are reminded of the above. It wasnt miss daisy that hit him, it was a specific type of driver that angers one.

Is this definitely what happened? Did the taxi cross that white line?

If I have the story straight, it happened on this corner. Burry was going in direction that the camera is facing which is down a bit of a hill, and the taxi was coming from the front, much like the red car in the photo. If I look at the gradient of the hill that Burry was coming down, I'm guessing he easily could have reached over 50km/h. If the taxi turned into Stott street at the last moment and Burry hit the brakes as hard as he could, he still would have hit it over 40km/h. That's still a major impact. RIP Hero.

http://s9.postimage.org/g2r5srumn/Untitled.jpg