Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and if you're not wearing a helmet, don't expect me to greet you if we meet on the road/trail somewhere. I'll be employing the "if-you-can't-say-something-nice" rule...

oh, the tragedy of that!

I often ride without a helmet, especially if I'm playing in the city on my BMX. Gloves work for me. Tuck and roll.

Sometimes I just want the wind through my hair while cruising a farm road, or on DH runs I'll ride to the top with my full face strapped to my bag.

It's my head. Who are you to care or tell me otherwise. Laws or not, stop being so self righteous.

Anecdotal evidence. All studies (and there are many) prove that helmets are not our first line of defence against injury. The over-emphasis on helmet use as the way to be safe on a bicycle is counter-productive. And motorbikes are not a good analogy - there a helmet is more important due to the speed (again, that stats bear this out). Google it if you don't believe me.

If you want to shout at someone on a bike, shout at those who ride beyond their skill level, wear black clothing on a dusk ride and take stupid risks like running stop signs and lights.

Not here to convince you or anyone else. I have access to the web for research and pro's far outweigh perceived cons.

That and my personal experience see's me wearing mine. thumbup1.gif

oh, the tragedy of that!

I often ride without a helmet, especially if I'm playing in the city on my BMX. Gloves work for me. Tuck and roll.

Sometimes I just want the wind through my hair while cruising a farm road, or on DH runs I'll ride to the top with my full face strapped to my bag.

It's my head. Who are you to care or tell me otherwise. Laws or not, stop being so self righteous.

It figures, nature weeds them out

I've thought of doing this after a couple of close calls. Just dont know what I'll do with the video if I survive another. Will showing the video footage to authorities really make a difference if there are no 1.5m laws in place?

I do not wish to sound insensitive with this topic, but I am kind of upset and enraged at the moment.

I was at the tribute ride on Sunday @ Stellenbosch and I really thought the message of road safety got through to everyone... Apparently not...

I just came from Hermanus and just as you cross the Steenbras Dam, before you get the turn-off to the lookout point, there were 3 guys cycling toward Somerset-West. The road was crazy busy with holiday traffic and these guys, or at least one of them thought it wise to ride beside his partner...Over the yellow line!

With all the trucks, minibuses, caravans etc, you would think these guys have a death wish. And then the negligence of the cyclists are to blame in instances like this, but we all tend to blame the drivers of the cars.

How will drivers respect you if you do not respect the road??

One thing I do not get. The OP has posted concerns about cyclists without helmets, in other words made a critism of one particular aspect.

So why all the aggression about someone being critical ? It is like we are not allowed to be critical without being attacked and flamed and called all sorts of names. All other rules being called up, etc etc etc.

Why not just disagree, that it is your choice, no need to be so agressive about it.

The OP is simply stating something they think more folk should wear head gear from a safety point of view. Good for the OP!

Now, if only we could get all bike riders to obey the law and have a bell.

Not here to convince you or anyone else. I have access to the web for research and pro's far outweigh perceived cons.

That and my personal experience see's me wearing mine. thumbup1.gif

I'm not saying "don't wear a helmet" - I wear one most of the time too. My beef is with the OP who will shout at someone for not wearing a helmet as if that is all that is between them and certain death.

One thing I do not get. The OP has posted concerns about cyclists without helmets, in other words made a critism of one particular aspect.

So why all the aggression about someone being critical ? It is like we are not allowed to be critical without being attacked and flamed and called all sorts of names. All other rules being called up, etc etc etc.

Why not just disagree, that it is your choice, no need to be so agressive about it.

The OP is simply stating something they think more folk should wear head gear from a safety point of view. Good for the OP!

Ya, bro, the language and tone of the OP sorta opened the way for similar tone in the thread.

Like she wasn't swearing at us (or maybe she was) just swearing near us?

Can we merge the Burry threads?

I was just about to.

do you really want me to get into more trouble ?

No worries, I'll take the blame. remember, my post count is too high and my willy is too small...

My beef is with the OP who will shout at someone for not wearing a helmet

I did what now? laugh.png Oh please, you've never even met me. How would you even know if I've ever shouted at anyone for not wearing a helmet? (Which I haven't.) Get your facts straight, please.

Please understand, i think the event is tragic.

But i am losing track of all of the opinions and i really want to keep on top of this.

Not sweeping anything away, just housekeeping.

It's much more than a matter of opinion - the OP is rehashing the commonly held fallacy that helmets are the one thing you do to be safe on a bike. This is bad for cycling safety in general. We would all be better off if helmets were optional and skill, visibility and adherence to the rules of the road were the focus of safety. Unfortunately shouting at someone without a helmet is the equivalent of speed traps for cars - it's the easy way out.