Running vs Cycling

Peanut Butter

Simple question..........why is cycling events so expensive???

Cycling events is nearly two times more expensive than running events and nearly the same of a round of golf (on a decent golf course). The question is why????

simple. Cos running is for poor people!

Runners are people that wish they had bicycles. I've often ridden past trail runners and seen them envying the fact that I'm on a bike. I've never passed a runner and wished I was in his shoes rather than on my bike.

What is quite interesting though is that running creates an opportunity for these people to become rich so that they can afford a bicycle.

Look at the Comrades prize money! Last year the winner got an awesome 300k! Even 10th place gets you 14k (which should get the runner a decent hardtail so he can live his dreams).

Take the SA equiv of the Comrades... the Argus. There they only dish out 100k between the top 20 male and top 5 female cyclists. This low prize money ensures that these cyclists have to pay largely out of their own pockets, thus keeping it elite. We wouldn't want a poor person to win the Argus, now would we!

Lets not forget the Argus entry fee. What is it?... about R320?! Multiply that by 25 000 riders... that's about half a Julius house (R8m). It's crazy that the organizers are so generous to give away a whole 100k of that. It's a wonder they have enough left over for the rest of the budget!

So to summarize... running is for poor people, but there's a chance of getting rich. Cycling is for rich people and there's also a chance of getting rich off it... if you're an organizer!

Moral of the story... don't be a race-ist! Ride for fun!

simple. Cos running is for poor people!

Runners are people that wish they had bicycles. I've often ridden past trail runners and seen them envying the fact that I'm on a bike. I've never passed a runner and wished I was in his shoes rather than on my bike.

What is quite interesting though is that running creates an opportunity for these people to become rich so that they can afford a bicycle.

Look at the Comrades prize money! Last year the winner got an awesome 300k! Even 10th place gets you 14k (which should get the runner a decent hardtail so he can live his dreams).

Take the SA equiv of the Comrades... the Argus. There they only dish out 100k between the top 20 male and top 5 female cyclists. This low prize money ensures that these cyclists have to pay largely out of their own pockets, thus keeping it elite. We wouldn't want a poor person to win the Argus, now would we!

Lets not forget the Argus entry fee. What is it?... about R320?! Multiply that by 25 000 riders... that's about half a Julius house (R8m). It's crazy that the organizers are so generous to give away a whole 100k of that. It's a wonder they have enough left over for the rest of the budget!

So to summarize... running is for poor people, but there's a chance of getting rich. Cycling is for rich people and there's also a chance of getting rich off it... if you're an organizer!

Moral of the story... don't be a race-ist! Ride for fun!

I have 3 pairs of running shoes and 5 bicycles. I get more enjoyment, physical benefit and less angst about accidents (YES offroad too!) wearing any of those 3 pairs of shoes than riding any of the 5 bicycles. I'd say running is more fun :)

Comrades has no cycling equivalent in the cycling world. Even the Jock can be completed with the absolute minimum training (ask me!). The Argus? pffft.... A mere fun ride! The comrades is most definitely NOT a fun run!

Cycling elitist? Absolutely! but it has more to do with the attitudes of a lot of the participants, pointing and laughing at/about other bikes. Talking smack about their 'lack' of training, equipment upgrades blah blah. None of that with runners. The whole lot of them, from the running mailman to the running CEO/lawyer/doctor are way too humble for any of that.

Poor vs rich? Rich is about more than having a lot of toys. Ever heard of "He is so poor, the only thing he has is money"?

With running EVERYBODY is equal. Shoes do not make you faster, you cannot ride in bunches, you cannot watch the line the previous oke took. It is just YOU, your legs and the road/trail. No hiding NADA! NOTHING! NIKS!

So yes, the more this types of stereotyping carries on the more cycling/cyclists paint themselves into a corner and have to pay more for cycling events due to lower numbers and high costs of staging events for all the reasons stated above.

I loved cycling as a kid, I still like it as a MAMIL. I loved running as a kid, and I still love it.

Just some actual 2012 expenses to host a road race of a 100km.

Admin Planning, CSA, PPA etc. R 30 000.00

Marketing - R 20 000.00

Entries - Host Website, seeding & Race no. etc. R 160 000.00

Marshalling - Municipal, traffic, signage water points etc. R 60 000.00

Operational - Medical, Security, etc. R 50 000.00

Prizes - R 50 000.00

Total R 370 000.00 Entry fee @ R 200 / Break Even = 1,850 Entries.

In road running the amounts are definitely less.

Marketing is done by pamphlets, word of mouth and a published race calendar (which is managed by ASA and the unions). Every runner knows the calander and peer pressure within the club strucrure ensures a high turnout for league races.

Entries. On line entries are done by entrytime.co.za and thay add their cut onto the entry fee (R6) per entry. However most entries are taken at the local running shop, the club or by club volunteers on the day. Cost to organiser =R0. Takings for club R160 000?

Marshalling: The metro takes their cut which can be anything from R10 000. However the rest is done by club members.

Operations: Medical support must be provided. Security is provided by car guards who accept donations (R5-R10 per car).

Prizes. Road running is an amateur sport so the prizes are small R10 000.

Conclusion: Road running is cheaper because the admnistration costs are less because in most cases most of the work is done by club volunteers and the profits go to the club. Secondly, runners are self ceding, so entries are much easier to manage. Lastly, the average runner wants to run, where as the average cyclist wants a Tour de France experieince in every race, and is willing to pay for it.