Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Have any of you guys done any marathons on any of these bikes? Sorry if its a stupid question?

i'll bite: why you asking?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoy doing the longer 3hr rides and enduro stuff but don't have the moola for 2 bikes so what do i do?

Have any of you guys done any marathons on any of these bikes? Sorry if its a stupid question?

I have done a solo 24hr on my old Shova

Really enjoy doing the longer 3hr rides and enduro stuff but don't have the moola for 2 bikes so what do i do?

well, it sounds like you are more into XC-M than anything, and which actual enduro events have you participated in?

Anyway, given the inclinations to XC-M, you might do well to build up a 140-150mm travel trail bike instead of the euro style enduro monsters with 160mm or more of travel. Less travel = less all round weight so you can still do those long distance stuffs. But a good fork properly set up will use those 140mm very very well when the terrain gets a bit rowdy.

Its that philosophy I've applied building up my enduro/trail bike: good enough for the rough, but light enough for the XC events i sometimes dabble in. Next bike however, will realize a bit more of a burly bike.

I was just a bit more fussy in my choice of build, but you could ride a full on downhill rig on a marathon if you really wanted to. Any bike will go any distance. It's just the quality of the experience versus your expectations that will determine how well you choose the weapon you go to war with.

Edited by Capricorn

I have done a solo 24hr on my old Shova

well, it sounds like you are more into XC-M than anything, and which actual enduro events have you participated in?

Anyway, given the inclinations to XC-M, you might do well to build up a 140-150mm travel trail bike instead of the euro style enduro monsters with 160mm or more of travel. Less travel = less all round weight so you can still do those long distance stuffs. But a good fork properly set up will use those 140mm very very well when the terrain gets a bit rowdy.

Its that philosophy I've applied building up my enduro/trail bike: good enough for the rough, but light enough for the XC events i sometimes dabble in. Next bike however, will realize a bit more of a burly bike.

I was just a bit more fussy in my choice of build, but you could ride a full on downhill rig on a marathon if you really wanted to. Any bike will go any distance. It's just the quality of the experience versus your expectations that will determine how well you choose the weapon you go to war with.

Hav'nt done any enduro events yet (not really big into the races) but will try them as soon as I've got the set up for it. Thinking of looking at a 140-150mm 650b.

Thanks for the help dude!

Hav'nt done any enduro events yet (not really big into the races) but will try them as soon as I've got the set up for it. Thinking of looking at a 140-150mm 650b.

no problem, and please show off your rig once she's done! :thumbup:

Echoing Capricorn here, and to add a bit...

The modern suspension & shock designs mean that the dreaded pedal "bob" of old is almost certainly gone in all but the monster 170 plus travel bikes, and in fact many of the bikes that have up to 170mm travel are built around durability and adaptability.

In short - take a 150mm Giant Reign, or a 160mm Ibis Mojo HD (any modern bike in that category, actually) and you'll find that you can go all day in the saddle with ease, while at the same time having the perfect bike to back you up when things get squirly.

So in short - yes. You can do a marathon on any of these beasts. According to the build you have, you may end up with a bike that is heavier than the equivalent mono-discipline XCM bike, but still comparable in weight to some entry level XCM bikes. The benefit, though, is that you'll be a LOT more comfortable in the saddle on all day efforts thanks to the slightly more upright position, and the more forgiving travel on the downs.

Crow's old Mojo SLR, in fact, weighed in at approx 11.5kg - and that in full 150mm travel guise, and to be frank - that thing is blisteringly quick up the hills, and even faster down them.

If you're looking at the 140-150mm travel 27.5 range, then there are literally LOADS of options. From the Pivot Mach 6 (drool) to the Giant Reign / Giant Trance SX (mega drool) and the Commencal Meta AM 650, Kona Abra Cadabra, Intense Tracer 275 and many more.

As soon as you go there - it will literally change your view on MTB forever. You'll wonder why you didn't go there in the first place.

Guest Omega Man

Thanks for nothing knob.

Lol. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Lots of people don't seem to know the diff between Enduro and Endurance.

Edited by Omega Man

The modern suspension & shock designs mean that the dreaded pedal "bob" of old is almost certainly gone in all but the monster 170 plus travel bikes, and in fact many of the bikes that have up to 170mm travel are built around durability and adaptability.

Crow's old Mojo SLR, in fact, weighed in at approx 11.5kg - and that in full 150mm travel guise, and to be frank - that thing is blisteringly quick up the hills, and even faster down them.

If you're looking at the 140-150mm travel 27.5 range, then there are literally LOADS of options. From the Pivot Mach 6 (drool) to the Giant Reign / Giant Trance SX (mega drool) and the Commencal Meta AM 650, Kona Abra Cadabra, Intense Tracer 275 and many more.

As soon as you go there - it will literally change your view on MTB forever. You'll wonder why you didn't go there in the first place.

To put that into perspective, my 100mm XC bike (dual) weighs in at 12.1kg. And fully locked out, I think its a beast to climb with, but suffers a bit (understandably) on the descent. So I can only imagine what Crow's Mojo must have been like, up and down.

A mate and I recently did TransKaroo (a 240km XC event) with him on a long travel Merida (160mm), so yeah it can be done.

Mayhem, I have been asking myself that question for awhile now. Will a 150mm trail bike really be the do it all bike I'm looking for. Mostly XC orientated, I'll admit, but I like a to ride trails, and really think an AM bike will suit my needs much better than my current bike, which is very very racy indeed.

Mayhem, I have been asking myself that question for awhile now. Will a 150mm trail bike really be the do it all bike I'm looking for. Mostly XC orientated, I'll admit, but I like a to ride trails, and really think an AM bike will suit my needs much better than my current bike, which is very very racy indeed.

Absolutely, yes. Unless you're racing Xcm or Xco, then IMO you should be on a 120-150mm machine. Far more versatile and far stronger than an xc race bike.

Did Transbaviaans on my SC Heckler no problem...have to confess I did wimp out and fitted a set of easy-rollin' 2.1's though...

Absolutely, yes. Unless you're racing Xcm or Xco, then IMO you should be on a 120-150mm machine. Far more versatile and far stronger than an xc race bike.

I have never done an XCM/XCO race (and don't think I will), I prefer to challenge myself with the much longer XC races (which require a bit more comfort anyway). Hmm, perhaps a change is in order then.

I have never done an XCM/XCO race (and don't think I will), I prefer to challenge myself with the much longer XC races (which require a bit more comfort anyway). Hmm, perhaps a change is in order then.

Xcm then (xc marathon) vs Xco (xc Olympic)

:)

Haha yes. ... some of us has done stage races too :D