To the Roadie on the West Coast Road Last night

Hairy

i think this sums up ABCO's headlong dive into this topic:

http://www.slackers.co.za/uploads_archive/20090715/37a5cd137eb4e5d1b5fe3341423fea1b.gif

Well I made it, just not all the way :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• It is illegal
  • It can lead to others being harmed or being killed should they be involved in an accident with this rider or they could be be harmed or killed by taking evasive action
  • PR work done to improve the rep of cyclist gets thrown out the window

Hairy I change my stance on this. Someone I know swung out for some cyclists on the road of fairview early in the morning hours (some time ago) also not being visible and he crashed his car when he had to swing out again for oncoming traffic. He broke 7 ribs and was in ICU.

If you ride without a light, abreast and become a hazard and put other road user's life in danger then you are a massive tool and deserve to be knocked into a vegetable state.

You are selfish and inconsiderate and then these are the guys who moan about people not looking out for us. Get your head out your arse.

Edited by wheelerdealer

Is this still going on????

I want to repeat what I said about 6 pages ago...

Don't want to play Devil's Advocate here (and, ABCO, I'm not referring to you as the Devil, per se...haha!) but am I wrong when I say that ABCO doesn't have a problem with the original and essential message of the post - rather with the way it was transferred. I.e. in a way which might be perceived that the OP is applying the same kind of stereotype(s) about cyclists (more specifically, "roadies"), that he is implicitly accusing the "roadie" of perpetuating.

Yet again, change the thread title to "To the Tjop on the West Coast Road Last night"...and this thread would not have reached 3 pages....methinks...

Or am I wrong?

Edited by Karooryder

Guest Smimby

Normally Hubbers are quick to rules are rules even when the rule is somewhat stupid.

Now there is no rule that you have to use the cycle lane nor that you have to have a light..so I don't understand what so many arguments here.

No light is stupid.

Endangering someone else's live is not cool either. But posting it here will not really achieve anything either.

It is like posting some taxis number plate here, not gonna achieve anything.

Stop the guy and CHAT to him. Not shout or call him stupid. Just explain that he could cause the death of someone's dad or mom, besides the point that he will be killed also but that is his problem. If he wants to kill himself HIS issue. Killing others OUR issue.

I think this whole issue is not about if (or when) this guy gets knocked off his bike and killed. The issue is how motorists see us cyclists. How many motorists will ever drive past this guy, hundreds maybe thousands and I will bet my life on this more than half will be thinking what a faarking chop! Thats where the problem lies, this guy is giving the rest of us a bad name.

How many times have you been somewhere and you speaking to someone and they hear you cycle and they say "ja but you guys think you own the road".

I don't have a problem with what Hairy did, next time hit him with a baseball bat for all I care.

Guest Smimby

Ceres, we are never gonna change that. Just like I will always think taxi's are the worst drivers out there.

Drivers will FOREVER say we think we own the road, and we will forever say they dont care about us.

Hitting the guy with a baseball bat, or verbally abusing him is JUST as bad as him "giving us a bad name"...

Lead the horse to water....

So we did some cyber searching and it looks like the rider does ride in Pelotrain kit and rides this road frequently and it seems his regular ride takes him to Melkbos.

If anyone knows the riders from Pelotrain and there is a youngish guy who's name starts with a J and his surname starts with a G ... please could you have a word with him and see if it is him and also give him some advise on road safety.

post-5403-0-13225300-1371194386_thumb.jpg

Guest Smimby

Hairy can you please do the same effort with a few Golden Arrow busses ? I can send you some numbers.

Hairy can you please do the same effort with a few Golden Arrow busses ? I can send you some numbers.

You can send this info yourself, and it is rather easy, send to the Golden Arrow Head Office,l and yes they do actually reprimand poor drivers, they just need the public to let them know when the drivers are reckless.

Time, Date, Location and Bus no. is all you need.

Guest Smimby

You can send this info yourself, and it is rather easy, send to the Golden Arrow Head Office,l and yes they do actually reprimand poor drivers, they just need the public to let them know when the drivers are reckless.

Time, Date, Location and Bus no. is all you need.

I have done this and it NEVER worked, reported Busses on Plattekloof road drving the cycle lane and stopping where there is not bus stop, with photo's etc and NOTHING was done.

So I beg to differ, it did not work!

I have done this and it NEVER worked, reported Busses on Plattekloof road drving the cycle lane and stopping where there is not bus stop, with photo's etc and NOTHING was done.

So I beg to differ, it did not work!

Sorry that you never got a positive reaction to your complaint. I have had action taken before when an issue had arisen and based my comment on this.

Not certain who to speak to following this .... the local newspaper maybe?

Guest Smimby

Sorry that you never got a positive reaction to your complaint. I have had action taken before when an issue had arisen and based my comment on this.

Not certain who to speak to following this .... the local newspaper maybe?

I had more than one complaint, involved the following people with no improvement.

Brett Heron

Helen Zille

Head of traffic department Parrow area

Head of drivers for Golden Arrow

etc

This went on for almost a year and then I gave up.

So I tried....

i think this sums up ABCO's headlong dive into this topic:

http://www.slackers.co.za/uploads_archive/20090715/37a5cd137eb4e5d1b5fe3341423fea1b.gif

Ow

ow