Custom Cruiser Build

hey Stretched@Birth how is your cruiser build coming along?

Slowly... Mission control decided we needed to do a bathroom reno, so the time, energy and $$$ has been going into that!

The triple clamps have been shortened and fitted to the frame, however, what I thought was a clamp for a 1 1/8 tube, turns out to be slightly bigger (30mm), so it needs a shim of sorts.

Will hopefully get to do some work on the fork in the next week or so, once the fork is done, it will come together quickly.

How's yours doing?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Slowly... Mission control decided we needed to do a bathroom reno, so the time, energy and $$$ has been going into that!

The triple clamps have been shortened and fitted to the frame, however, what I thought was a clamp for a 1 1/8 tube, turns out to be slightly bigger (30mm), so it needs a shim of sorts.

Will hopefully get to do some work on the fork in the next week or so, once the fork is done, it will come together quickly.

How's yours doing?

almost finished I will post some pics

post-44492-0-20462500-1380048819_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hows the build going?

anyone know where you can get cruisers in SA? old or new...

Check with your LBS. Sportsmans Warehouse had Schwinn Corvettes for around R2500. Mikes Bikes have Electra. Felt and Giant also have some models out.

hows the build going?

anyone know where you can get cruisers in SA? old or new...

No progress, been quite busy with various work related projects, so little bike time, roll on December...!

• 3 months later...

So, finally, progress is made. Been standing still for a while, I ordered Chromo for the forks, when it arrived, it was sold to someone else. They then ordered more, that arrived but ended up being 1.6mm too big, there's so little give in the clamps.

Today found some pipe that, though a little heavy, will do the trick.

Also got the chain guard bent. So, a little fabrication required, then the mock up (so that I can modify the fenders before painting) and then it's off to powder coat and paint.

Anyone know who does anodizing in the Joburg area?

I used Astro Anodising in Sebenza Edenvale to do my frame. I am happy, although I think there is another Hubber who was not.

I used Astro Anodising in Sebenza Edenvale to do my frame. I am happy, although I think there is another Hubber who was not.

Cool, thanks, only have some cranks and the triple clamps to do, so should be fine, it's not a whole frame! Will give them a shout in the am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Cool, thanks, only have some cranks and the triple clamps to do, so should be fine, it's not a whole frame! Will give them a shout in the am.

I don't think they will do the crank, as I believe someone's shaft literally disintegrated in the acid bath. Chainrings yes. I eventually had my crank powdercoated.

I don't think they will do the crank, as I believe someone's shaft literally disintegrated in the acid bath. Chainrings yes. I eventually had my crank powdercoated.

Ok, maybe I should just put out a wanted ad for a black square taper crankset...