MTB cleats \ pedals advice

in10sive

Ja, there is that disadvantage.

However - the cost of MTB clipless shoes is horrific! I mean, R 4k for a SHOE!? 5-10's are anywhere between R 900 and R 1,400 depending on the source.

Oh - I said above that I ride with my skate shoes, but I've recently modified a set of Adidas Hydroterras, by cutting off the knobs on the forefoot area. FAR better grip than my skate shoes, even after just 2 rides. They're useless as trail running shoes (they let in sand and stones through the mesh and holes in the back - fantastic concept, horrible execution)

But - if you WANT to go to flats, that's a way of doing it cheaper than buying pedals and shoes in one hit.

Oh - another benefit of flats - you can just hop on the bike any time you like, ride down to the shops or wherever and wear the same shoes you rode there in without feeling like you're a carbon soled tap-dance shoe wearing fairy.

Yes, I do mean that. And yes, I know some shoes are very comfortable (spez BG trail shoes come to mind - VERY comfortable shoe) but they're nowhere near as comfy to walk in as proper shoes.

Appreciate all the advice (thanks Corvus) - still got a lot to learn, but love the sport

Had a go on buddy's flat pedals, I am no pro but could feel the loss in power when riding but that might be because of the shoes I had on - decided to make the switch, but will keep my clipless set as backup

Those Addidas shoes looks nice - how does it compare to 5-10 or will it be better rather saving for 5-10's - this weak R of ours is killing me :angry:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
put a set of crank brothers egg beaters onto your bike and get a proper set up done by a professional.

bull****. This will not improve skill on the bike. Its just another brand of pedal. The setup by the so called professional also wont do anything to improve the ride.

Learn to ride a bike properly without relying on your pedals to get you through the tech bits and you'll be a lot better off

bull****. This will not improve skill on the bike. Its just another brand of pedal. The setup by the so called professional also wont do anything to improve the ride.

Learn to ride a bike properly without relying on your pedals to get you through the tech bits and you'll be a lot better off

Hahahahah! What a laugh....

Hahahahah! What a laugh....

Be a sport and enlighten me as to how egg beaters and a professional setup as you put it will improve bike handling?

Also, what is your experience with flats?

Appreciate all the advice (thanks Corvus) - still got a lot to learn, but love the sport

Had a go on buddy's flat pedals, I am no pro but could feel the loss in power when riding but that might be because of the shoes I had on - decided to make the switch, but will keep my clipless set as backup

Those Addidas shoes looks nice - how does it compare to 5-10 or will it be better rather saving for 5-10's - this weak R of ours is killing me :angry:

No worries dude.

In terms of price, the Adidas were on special at footgear for I think 400 randelas. While they're good, better than my skate shoes and just as comfortable, I'd say they still fall short of the 5-10's in terms of real flat shoes. Don't get me wrong, they're (now) far better than they used to be what with all the knobs removed on the front, but they're not as stiff or as supportive as a pair of 10's or tevas.

Having seen this guys comments before I'm going to fetch my popcorn now ;)

Are you looking for a fight or just stirring?

The Bullcrap reference was in reaction to his assertions, not the person. I have no problem with turtle himself, but I have a problem when people try to spread "facts" that are patently untrue.

Be a sport and enlighten me as to how egg beaters and a professional setup as you put it will improve bike handling?

Also, what is your experience with flats?

Hy is obviously ñ eggspert. Kekeke. NOTA: Dis net ñ fing grappie.

Hi, my name is DJR and I ride with clipless pedals, everywhere, all the time, road and mtb. I've done a downhill race, a dual slalom, an enduro, a lot of XC, marathons, stage races, all with clipless pedals. I'm a middle aged dude but I can bunny-hop, jump and do stupid stuff like my 12 year old. My skills suck (well, it's a little behind my sense of adventure) and I've broken more than 1 bit of skeleton. NOW, you come and tell me flats are the answer! Where have you all been when I needed your advice? I suppose it's never too late for old dogs to learn new tricks. Anybody got a BMX bike and some skate shoes I can try out, I already have a skate lid . ;) Is this the tongue in cheek emoticon?

Lol. Dude. You know me. It's not possible for me to suck any more than I already do!

But seriously now. I enjoy using the flats far more that I've now gotten used to them. Certainly far better than the spuddies I had on before.

I ride on both, flats for the rides between races, not that I race, and flats for when I want to have fun. Use DMR's and 5.10 Spitfires. The grip between the flats and shoes is unbelievable. I have to lift my shoes off the pedals to adjust my feet, they won't sommer slide around.

5.10 make rock climbing shoes, and only recently (relatively) started making bike shoes, so they know a thing or two about sticky soles.

You didn't ask the guy if he wants to ride endless gravel roads like a middle aged businessman.

I love that! As in, the Epic? :devil:

Archived