Your Enduro ride

Robodog

Haha, it's an acquired taste. I've just ordered a new Trailstar for the front, going to be running my existing Pacestar on the back when the Ron wears out.
I'm beginning to think the HD tread pattern it isn't a great design. More and more riders are just throwing it on at the back because it rolls a bit faster than the other popular schwalbe options. Hell, i'd take a nobby nic over the HD up front any day. The HD, when leaned over, is as good as any other schwalbe tyre, i'll give it that. I had no problems with it during hard cornering. But for the rest of it, it gets quite squiggly, especially on loose over hard, and near gripless on sandy terrain.But given my experiences with getting the Kenda Nevegal to work for me, I've probably just not been patient enough with the Hans Dampf. Jack of all trades, master of none. That latter bit is probably truer than the former. irrespective, i'm on Magic kool-aid, and i'm addicted.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, it's an acquired taste. I've just ordered a new Trailstar for the front, going to be running my existing Pacestar on the back when the Ron wears out.

Martin have you guys used the Highroller 2 before? If so, any major diff to the original version?

Martin have you guys used the Highroller 2 before? If so, any major diff to the original version?

good question! been meaning to get one for myself since the launch, but just been delaying it.

good question! been meaning to get one for myself since the launch, but just been delaying it.

Ja, they seem to get good reviews overseas, but local conditions are obviously quite different, so it would be good to get some feedback from local riders.

Guest Omega Man

and near gripless on sandy terrain.

This is my main problem with the HD. Let's be honest here in Summer in CT we get a lot of sand. On sand leant over I just get no communication from the tire. I'm hardly a measure of a competent rider tho.

I never lost the front in a corner but every time I tipped it into a sandy corner it got all vague. Chris Nixon cut the little transition knobs off (the ones 2nd from the edge) and he said it was much better.

This is my main problem with the HD. Let's be honest here in Summer in CT we get a lot of sand. On sand leant over I just get no communication from the tire. I'm hardly a measure of a competent rider tho.

I never lost the front in a corner but every time I tipped it into a sandy corner it got all vague. Chris Nixon cut the little transition knobs off (the ones 2nd from the edge) and he said it was much better.

Is the high volume of the tyre not perhaps the reason for vague feeling?

@Flowta what are your thoughts on the vigilante?

Have you ridden with Continental mountain king2 protection? How does the vigilante compare to it?

When i said it feels gripless in sandy conditions i failed to mention it wasn't during cornering. I didn't have issues leaning it over. Lean more. it will bite, even in sandy conditions. It feels pretty much the same as the muddy and magic marys.

Is the high volume of the tyre not perhaps the reason for vague feeling?

possibly. the nobs are not as tall as on the muddy or magic mary. then again, so are many other tyres with similarly short nobs. I think they would also struggle under the conditions of the sandy trails at tokai, notably Snake Eyes.

Got my Dirt Wizards

Comparing them against my WTB Vigilante 650B x 2.3 (not measured but Vigilante slightly taller)

post-3441-0-05414600-1404767136_thumb.jpg

Vigilante width +- 58mm (sorry about the focus)

post-3441-0-00612200-1404767167_thumb.jpg

Dirt Wizard width 69mm (going to set it up tubeless tomorrow so should get a mil or 2 more)

post-3441-0-42963700-1404767194_thumb.jpg

How does the Vigilante rate against a HD / other tyres you've tried?

I suppose you ran it on the front.

I am in the process of building a little bit burly Pyga 120 & would like to have strong wheels with capable tyres on them.

Was thinking Vigilanti (F) & Wolverine ®

random opinion: the more i look at that WTB vigilante, the more it reminds me of the muddy mary.

@Flowta what are your thoughts on the vigilante?

Have you ridden with Continental mountain king2 protection? How does the vigilante compare to it?

Really enjoying it, haven't tried any Continental rubber for a long time now, but it is heaps better than the Schwalbe Nobby Nic I had on before

How does the Vigilante rate against a HD / other tyres you've tried?

I suppose you ran it on the front.

I am in the process of building a little bit burly Pyga 120 & would like to have strong wheels with capable tyres on them.

Was thinking Vigilanti (F) & Wolverine ®

I got the Vigilante because of the lack of decent 650B tyres, only other 650B tyres I've tried on the front is a Nobby Nic and didn't really like it.

Was running a CST BFT / Geax Sturdy combo on my 26 wheels, which are also pretty good.

Have a set of these puppies arriving soon in 650B x 2.4 flava

Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/VeeRubber-Fluid-Reduced.jpg

Vee Rubber Flow 2.4

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/VeeRubber-Flow-Reduced.jpg

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/vee-rubber-fluid-and-flow-2-4-x-650b/

http://www.hinkdog411.com/index.php/blog/blog-archives/93-vee-rubber-fluid-and-flow-tires.html

Nope, unfortunately not. I've not traditionally been a big fan of rubber with a massive transition between centre and side knobs, because I've always been hesitant to lean too far. But.... I've slowly been making forced changes to my riding style over the last couple of weeks, based on some of that fundamental Fabien-style cornering advice, with the result that I lean a LOT more now. Maybe this is why I'm digging the HD so much!

I got the Vigilante because of the lack of decent 650B tyres, only other 650B tyres I've tried on the front is a Nobby Nic and didn't really like it.

Was running a CST BFT / Geax Sturdy combo on my 26 wheels, which are also pretty good.

Have a set of these puppies arriving soon in 650B x 2.4 flava

Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/VeeRubber-Fluid-Reduced.jpg

Vee Rubber Flow 2.4

http://www.defconcycles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/VeeRubber-Flow-Reduced.jpg

http://www.defconcyc...low-2-4-x-650b/

http://www.hinkdog41...flow-tires.html

Looking good, but maybe a tad overkill for my Pyga.

Might grab a set of these for my Shova.

Rear HD pacestar is gonna shed some side knobs soon.

Are you getting these locally or importing yourself?

Price range? (+-)

Archived