[Event] Robertson Winery Wacky Wine MTB 2013

Robertson Winery MTB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone who joined us for another successful Robertson Winery Wacky Wine MTB!

Unbelievably the weatherman was spot on and we had great weather for the whole event. We even had one or 2 winds that helped with some of the climbs. The course was in great condition and I'm happy to see that one or 2 of the riders utilized the "hidden water points" along the way.

If there is anything you guys would like us to improve on or add to the event for next year, please let me know as we would love to make this event a "not to miss" for the future. Maybe a live band and a "opskop" afterwards with a big screen for the rugby? Send me your suggestions!

Quite peeved off with the weather. We turned around about halfway between the Tunnel and Worcester. Was raining so hard that the wipers could not keep up, and the wind was gusting like mad.

Now to hear reports of the nice weather conditions during the race, :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: .

O well, there is always next year.

Quite peeved off with the weather. We turned around about halfway between the Tunnel and Worcester. Was raining so hard that the wipers could not keep up, and the wind was gusting like mad.

Now to hear reports of the nice weather conditions during the race, :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: .

You should have seen the campsite on Friday night/Saturday morning. The wind was unbelievable with broken and flattened tents all over the show, people were packing up and leaving and that was a pity because it was amazing how the weather sorted itself out just in time for the event.

Thanks to everyone who joined us for another successful Robertson Winery Wacky Wine MTB!

Unbelievably the weatherman was spot on and we had great weather for the whole event. We even had one or 2 winds that helped with some of the climbs. The course was in great condition and I'm happy to see that one or 2 of the riders utilized the "hidden water points" along the way.

If there is anything you guys would like us to improve on or add to the event for next year, please let me know as we would love to make this event a "not to miss" for the future. Maybe a live band and a "opskop" afterwards with a big screen for the rugby? Send me your suggestions!

Congrats on organising a very nice race! Well marked, Marshals knew what to do and was friendly, lekker vibe at the start - coffee, sarmies, fires, etc. All in all a very nice event, and I will be back for more!

Just a suggestion from my side - the route is not very technical at all, and the climbs not too taxing, so if you can manage to get in a longer route (say about 60-65km), it should be popular. Even if it only climbs 200-300m max more than the 42km. It is just great fun on the trail, and another 20km will just be better! Especially the kind of terrain in the first 10-15km. I think this might appeal to some riders who are training for the popular Knysna Oyster Festival 80km, Die Buger 60km and maybe even the K2C 100km!

Just a suggestion - and once again, well done!

Two things come to mind -

1. Have the drunk loud music playing imbeciles in campsite number five neutered because people like that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. And then ban them to make sure. Thumping music that only stopped at 1.30am because I went and had a moan at them really isn't something you should have to put up with. Maybe have someone 'policing' the campsite?

2. Have a word with whoever is in charge of the wind around there because, well, wow. :D

Seriously though we had a great time and my youngster was very proud to complete the 12km event and wants to come back next year. But, apparently, I now have to get him a better bike...

Edited by marko35s

Thanks Marko35s. I'll give the camping comments to Liz who'll make sure they never see the farm again! I think next year we'll make a point of only allowing people attending the MTB to camp on the farm, it was the idea this year but a few slipped in under the radar. Next year - no MTB entry = no camping.

As for the wind..... I was so focused on asking the powers that be not to let it rain, I totally forgot about the other elements! I'll put it on the list for next year. :thumbup:

Also did the 42k,and had my fist tumble over handlebars.Body was not to badly broken,but ego was shatterd,lol,but at least managed to finish in around 2h30 as well.Big up to the person who placed the bottle of port and tot glasses on top of one climb few km's before the finish.

Lekker Rooi Muscadel. Was good :D

Should have phoned me boeta!

Thanks for the great event! While my wife was doing the 12Km, I took on the 42Km for the 2nd time...... and was reminded why I didn't like the route the first year. The climbing is just not made for a 92kg body :P Loved the flattish, single track and downhill sections - especially that steep one after the 'technical' rocky bit (made up a few places there with guys walking down).

I had a better bike this time around and it showed - stopped for Castle Lite and Muscadel and still beat last year's time by 7 minutes :D

Thanks Marko35s. I'll give the camping comments to Liz who'll make sure they never see the farm again! I think next year we'll make a point of only allowing people attending the MTB to camp on the farm, it was the idea this year but a few slipped in under the radar. Next year - no MTB entry = no camping.

As for the wind..... I was so focused on asking the powers that be not to let it rain, I totally forgot about the other elements! I'll put it on the list for next year. :thumbup:

Thanks.

BTW was the elderly gentleman that fell at the finish line okay? He looked pretty shaken up at the time.

I know that drop Tiny K, where a lot of okes slid down on there butts! I liked the encouragement of the marshals, "Don't think about it, you will be ok", haha!! Had such a giggle when I flew down that drop 5degress off of vertical!!

Can we please get medals next year. For some of us it is important, and very nice to hang on our walls with the others. Other than that, I loved the route, just loved my time on the bike, I had lots of fun. Thanks

Edited by schalk1982

Lost and Found: 2 Cycle computers - if you lost one, let me know

Also, one of the riders is looking for his light blue, long sleeve top with white on the sleeves that he lost either in the showers or on the way to his car, so if somebody has, let me know.

Hi Schalk,

Your not the first to ask and we'll consider it. At the moment the event is listed as a "funride" and according to PPA, our partners for this event, we are not allowed to have medals. That's why we have the bottles of wine as a "medal". We'll think about it next year.