[Event] Bryton Elephant MTB Challenge

Jooste

What an awesome event, we were also expecting something fast and flattish but it was very different, the 50 was a proper mtb ride. Must say I'm not a big fan of cut grass sections but the route was good, some err "fun" descents and quite technical loose climbs.

Well organised and definitely better being a smaller event than having masses of people.

Was kinda glad they missed out the 5km near the end, was not enjoying that headwind into the finish.

The guy and I that spent most the middle part of the race riding together saw loads of game, jackals, zebra, waterbuck, kudu, some other bucks, the wildebeest herd came pretty close and we rushed towards the dam wall while they ran around us.

That little climb up those wooden logs near the end with a camera man lying in wait, was just nasty, wonder how many actually made it up or did we all get photos pushing.

Overall happy with the 2h19.

Hats off to Henry for winning, even after having to stop a few times to pick up his GoPro, and then riding home (think to Honeydew) afterwards!!!

The couple that were on their rigid single-speeds... Eish...!!!

Great catching up to the guys and gals afterwards while watching the Ellies and having a beer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an awesome event, we were also expecting something fast and flattish but it was very different, the 50 was a proper mtb ride. Must say I'm not a big fan of cut grass sections but the route was good, some err "fun" descents and quite technical loose climbs.

Well organised and definitely better being a smaller event than having masses of people.

Was kinda glad they missed out the 5km near the end, was not enjoying that headwind into the finish.

The guy and I that spent most the middle part of the race riding together saw loads of game, jackals, zebra, waterbuck, kudu, some other bucks, the wildebeest herd came pretty close and we rushed towards the dam wall while they ran around us.

That little climb up those wooden logs near the end with a camera man lying in wait, was just nasty, wonder how many actually made it up or did we all get photos pushing.

Overall happy with the 2h19.

Hats off to Henry for winning, even after having to stop a few times to pick up his GoPro, and then riding home (think to Honeydew) afterwards!!!

The couple that were on their rigid single-speeds... Eish...!!!

Great catching up to the guys and gals afterwards while watching the Ellies and having a beer.

haha. no man, that little climb was actually easy. All you had to do was lift your front wheel slightly and keep turning your crank. Easy peasy is you do it like that.

I agree, it was a fun race. It seems I was still sick and had a hard time keeping my HR downto not cause damage to my heart. I had to take it VERY easy. My favorite bits was the technical descents and the little climb with the logs. But then again, I like technical.

it was a great race, far more than i was expecting. just a pity i cut my rear tyre and lost my grips. i blame the photographer..every time i was near him i had trouble!! Very nice touch having a personalised number plate, and receiving an sms with your results..glad im in for the series.

it was a great race, far more than i was expecting. just a pity i cut my rear tyre and lost my grips. i blame the photographer..every time i was near him i had trouble!! Very nice touch having a personalised number plate, and receiving an sms with your results..glad im in for the series.

what? Don't tell me you pushed your bike up that little hill as well? I am so going to look for your photos when they are posted!

what? Don't tell me you pushed your bike up that little hill as well? I am so going to look for your photos when they are posted!

i got half way up...wasnt expecting it, wrong gear..like everyones else.. Mr photographer also took pics of me fixing my puncture..

The Zebra was really agitated after being split off from the herd. Hit the fence really hard. Sadly she died. I have no hope of climbing the logs if I hit it unexpected and around a corner - I am just not good enough. Another picture of me pushing. Proper race - it felt like more than 700m climbing. Will be doing it again.

i got half way up...wasnt expecting it, wrong gear..like everyones else.. Mr photographer also took pics of me fixing my puncture..

I was going to let you hear it for not making it up that little hill, but I see very few people actually made it up. Maybe I just found it easy because I was riding at such a relaxed pace...

Think you should stop trying to lighten your bike up by rimming your grips off during the race :-)

Awesome event. Have not had that much fun for a while. One of the main reasons was the limited number of people in the field. Looks like everyone enjoyed it. :clap:

Yip walked up that little log hill. To be honest I was kind of day dreaming enjoyng the forest single track which was so different to the rest of the race then BAM I see a turning to the right, just hopped off straight away and ran up. Yip got the photo to prove i never made it up on the bike :mellow:

Very well organized event. SMS shortly after finishing, confirming times was great, good job on the timing Live Time. My 2 sons rode their first event, the 10km (6 & 7 yrs old) and they had an awesome time riding it alone. The missus also had her first, doing the 20km. No issues and good routes.

so it ACTUALLY happened...

Very well organized event. SMS shortly after finishing, confirming times was great, good job on the timing Live Time. My 2 sons rode their first event, the 10km (6 & 7 yrs old) and they had an awesome time riding it alone. The missus also had her first, doing the 20km. No issues and good routes.

But did you push your bike up the logs?

But did you push your bike up the logs?

with that school bag on my back... would lie and say yes if it wasn't for the damn photographer camping out there.