Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Dude I'm taking my Stumpjumper 29'er with 140mm front and 130mm rear travel. XT brakes are plenty I'm sure. I'm probably gonna go with my old Avid codes or maybe spoil myself to SLX brakes. All the UK mags currently rate SLX as top.

I'm going with Hans Dampf front and Ardent rear for rubber.

If you're planning on hitting blak trails with huge gaps then you're probably underbiked, but if like me you're planning on hitting the blue red and green (and from what I hear some of the black) runs and going for some XC rides then you're bike as is should be fine.

Bigger rotors may be a good call though.

More important to be really comfortable on your bike. The Pascoe is very capable. As is my Stumpy. I've seen Hylton Turvey do things on a Stumpy that I will never be able to do so I'm not worried in the least.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I'm taking my Stumpjumper 29'er with 140mm front and 130mm rear travel. XT brakes are plenty I'm sure. I'm probably gonna go with my old Avid codes or maybe spoil myself to SLX brakes. All the UK mags currently rate SLX as top.

I'm going with Hans Dampf front and Ardent rear for rubber.

If you're planning on hitting blak trails with huge gaps then you're probably underbiked, but if like me you're planning on hitting the blue red and green (and from what I hear some of the black) runs and going for some XC rides then you're bike as is should be fine.

Bigger rotors may be a good call though.

More important to be really comfortable on your bike. The Pascoe is very capable. As is my Stumpy. I've seen Hylton Turvey do things on a Stumpy that I will never be able to do so I'm not worried in the least.

Are you taking a full face helmet?

Guest Omega Man

Are you taking a full face helmet?

YES! Take a Full face. You aren't hoesing up the hill to gain altitude so you can afford to run the extra protection. I'm taking a trail lid and a FF. You can get stuff there. There's lots of variety and you might score a deal. Last year Juan almost bought one of those poc fullfaces for 200 Euro. The normal retail is much more. Don't think you're going to get a Troy Lee cheap tho.

Get some kneeguards if you don't have. you can get 661 rage from Dialed Bikes for around 800. I'm not so sure about those g form ones for France TBH.

I'd run 203 front and rear. Rotors are cheap. You don't NEED Ice tech or anything but get big rotors. They make a huge difference. Brakes. I think XT brakes will be fine. Avid Elixir are touch & go.

I'm gonna be running my bike with Muddy Mary front & rear. If you can get Magic Mary go for it. Apparently the're a great all rounder. You will not be worrying about rolling resistance. And the trails in the trees will still have snot in places even if it's been dry for weeks so they will need to shed mud.

Yes even the greens and blues are MUUUUUUUUCH steepr than here. Especially when you start heading over to Chatel and Switzerland. But the stuff is built SUPER well. So even tho it's steeper it's probably safer than the stuff we ride here cos there are no logs and rocks in the landings and tree stumps trying to grab pedals.

I'm sure the monarch will be fine. what the eye to eye on your shock? We've got a spare 240mm and 200mm shock coming with. If you do blow a shock there's a good mech in Les Gets.

Edited by Omega Man

I got this....

Rotors 180 F and R....may up to 203 up front, if I got time

In front, 170mm Rockshok Lyrik Coil with red coil, waiting for blue one just for comfort

Vivid Coil /Air at back, both have plenty play...

XO brakes (Trail 4-piston up front and standard XO 2-piston at rear...both great unless you get bubbles...bitch to bleed!)

Full face....recently considered Enduro-type lid until I hit the dirt hard a coupla days ago...rather have the gouges on my FF than on my RF (Real Face!)

FOX elbow and knee-shin combos...hard shell...see above comment! Got them fancy G-Form knee pads as well...

Rubber is Maxxis Minions 2.5 Super Tacky Downhillers, 2 ply and ghetto tubeless...sweet!

Oh and Giant Reign XO sled!

All of the above should get me to the bottom of the hill in one piece!

YES! Take a Full face. You aren't hoesing up the hill to gain altitude so you can afford to run the extra protection. I'm taking a trail lid and a FF. You can get stuff there. There's lots of variety and you might score a deal. Last year Juan almost bought one of those poc fullfaces for 200 Euro. The normal retail is much more. Don't think you're going to get a Troy Lee cheap tho.

Get some kneeguards if you don't have. you can get 661 rage from Dialed Bikes for around 800. I'm not so sure about those g form ones for France TBH.

I'd run 203 front and rear. Rotors are cheap. You don't NEED Ice tech or anything but get big rotors. They make a huge difference. Brakes. I think XT brakes will be fine. Avid Elixir are touch & go.

I'm gonna be running my bike with Muddy Mary front & rear. If you can get Magic Mary go for it. Apparently the're a great all rounder. You will not be worrying about rolling resistance. And the trails in the trees will still have snot in places even if it's been dry for weeks so they will need to shed mud.

Yes even the greens and blues are MUUUUUUUUCH steepr than here. Especially when you start heading over to Chatel and Switzerland. But the stuff is built SUPER well. So even tho it's steeper it's probably safer than the stuff we ride here cos there are no logs and rocks in the landings and tree stumps trying to grab pedals.

I'm sure the monarch will be fine. what the eye to eye on your shock? We've got a spare 240mm and 200mm shock coming with. If you do blow a shock there's a good mech in Les Gets.

Thanks for the advice and sharing, that all sounds great. I'll take a trail helmet, and order the knee and elbow guards from diald. I'll try to pick up a full face over there. I'm sure there's more choice, and I'll find something that fits my bespoke head. TLD is probably out of my price range.

Shock is 200x57, pretty standard, so cool that there's a spare coming with.

I got this....

Rotors 180 F and R....may up to 203 up front, if I got time

In front, 170mm Rockshok Lyrik Coil with red coil, waiting for blue one just for comfort

Vivid Coil /Air at back, both have plenty play...

XO brakes (Trail 4-piston up front and standard XO 2-piston at rear...both great unless you get bubbles...bitch to bleed!)

Full face....recently considered Enduro-type lid until I hit the dirt hard a coupla days ago...rather have the gouges on my FF than on my RF (Real Face!)

FOX elbow and knee-shin combos...hard shell...see above comment! Got them fancy G-Form knee pads as well...

Rubber is Maxxis Minions 2.5 Super Tacky Downhillers, 2 ply and ghetto tubeless...sweet!

Oh and Giant Reign XO sled!

All of the above should get me to the bottom of the hill in one piece!

Sounds like you got yourself a proper no-nonsense setup.

Guest Omega Man

My Bike Setup

Intense Tracer Fox DHX Air Shock

Lyric 170mm air up front

Hope M4 Brakes

203 Ice Tech rotors front & rear

Muddy Mary 2.35 front & Rear

Airoh Fighter DH Full Face

Bell Super trail lid

I don't know what kneepads I'll be running. My dogs will probly eat at least another 2 sets before we go.

Guest Omega Man

Shock is 200x57, pretty standard, so cool that there's a spare coming with.

HA!

Tony (Cape Diver) has a 200*57 shock. If you ask really nicely he might bring it along as a spare. I'm pretty sure he'll call first dibs tho.

HA!

Tony (Cape Diver) has a 200*57 shock. If you ask really nicely he might bring it along as a spare. I'm pretty sure he'll call first dibs tho.

It will be packed!

It will be packed!

Dude. If I can offer one bit of advice, it is this. BUY A 200MM ROTOR, NOW!!! Us... "mass challenged" mense need as much stopping power as we can get. And lemme tell you, the difference between a 180mm and a 200mm rotor is, well, hooooge.

Guest Omega Man

It will be packed!

I have to say I'm getting pretty amped for the trip now.

I FINALLY managed to get the accommodation paid yesterday after the bank blocked the payment. I suppose I should be thankful that they didn't just let someone take 130k out of my account without checking with me first. Hehe.

I'll be paying the airport shuttle early next week and then it's just the lift passes. The lift offices are closed at the moment so that has to wait for another 2 or so weeks till the Morzine and Les Gets lifts open.

It looks like we've got quite a sweet crew coming. Nice mix of DHer's and AM type guys. So we're all set. 22 of us. And only one prima donna. And even a 29er with the possibility of a second 9er making the trip. To the guys taking 650b's and 9ers I'd take a spare tire along. The shops won't be carrying those tires. I can almost guarantee it.

There also looks to be a few Saffa's basing themselves in Morzine for the Season. I think (not certain of this at all) that Stefan Garlike, Sam Bull and Tiaan Odendal will be based in Morzine plus there's a whole bunch of other peeps like Hayley and peach who will be there too.

Who's bringing a flag? I left mine in a bar there in 2012.

PLEEEEEEEEESE can we do a Saffers only run down Chavannes guys? 30 Saffers give or take doing a run down the Les Gets Main line.

It looks like the Frogs are on a bit of a push already with a brand new double black going up in Les Gets on the Mont Cheri side. They are also doing some work on the existing black suuuuuper fun trail. And a brand new blue line is going up in the Chavannes main line area. Apparently it's going to be along the same lines as the blue on Super Morzine which proved rather popular last year. A French take on the Whistler A Line style of trail. There's also a new XC trail in Les Gets.

Over in Chatel after the lifts closed last year they built a new blue trail at the top of the mountain and they are building a brand new green. So the top half of the mountain in Chatel will feature 2 greens. 2 blues. a red and of course THE FACE. Which is the venue for Chatel Mountain Style.

Edited by Omega Man

I have to say I'm getting pretty amped for the trip now.

I FINALLY managed to get the accommodation paid yesterday after the bank blocked the payment. I suppose I should be thankful that they didn't just let someone take 130k out of my account without checking with me first. Hehe.

I'll be paying the airport shuttle early next week and then it's just the lift passes. The lift offices are closed at the moment so that has to wait for another 2 or so weeks till the Morzine and Les Gets lifts open.

It looks like we've got quite a sweet crew coming. Nice mix of DHer's and AM type guys. So we're all set. 22 of us. And only one prima donna. And even a 29er with the possibility of a second 9er making the trip. To the guys taking 650b's and 9ers I'd take a spare tire along. The shops won't be carrying those tires. I can almost guarantee it.

There also looks to be a few Saffa's basing themselves in Morzine for the Season. I think (not certain of this at all) that Stefan Garlike, Sam Bull and Tiaan Odendal will be based in Morzine plus there's a whole bunch of other peeps like Hayley and peach who will be there too.

Who's bringing a flag? I left mine in a bar there in 2012.

PLEEEEEEEEESE can we do a Saffers only run down Chavannes guys? 30 Saffers give or take doing a run down the Les Gets Main line.

It looks like the Frogs are on a bit of a push already with a brand new double black going up in Les Gets on the Mont Cheri side. They are also doing some work on the existing black suuuuuper fun trail. And a brand new blue line is going up in the Chavannes main line area. Apparently it's going to be along the same lines as the blue on Super Morzine which proved rather popular last year. A French take on the Whistler A Line style of trail. There's also a new XC trail in Les Gets.

Over in Chatel after the lifts closed last year they built a new blue trail at the top of the mountain and they are building a brand new green. So the top half of the mountain in Chatel will feature 2 greens. 2 blues. a red and of course THE FACE. Which is the venue for Chatel Mountain Style.

Bike Plus in Constantia is selling Saffer tops so anyone willing to risk wearing a Lycra tighty for the Saffer run can get one there!

The avids on my wicked are getting binned for a set of Hope E4. After the rubbish they caused today at karkloof.

Guest Omega Man

The avids on my wicked are getting binned for a set of Hope E4. After the rubbish they caused today at karkloof.

Mmmmmm Hoooope.

Haha yes final nail in the avids coffin. After completely binding after putting new pads.

So current set up:

Yt industries Wicked 650b

Wheels:mountain king protection v2

Rock shock Pike 160mm

Rock shock monarch 160mm

Avid elixirs 5 200mm disks

New brakes to be ordered: Hope e4 with Tech V3 levers. 200mm floating disks

Chain guide to be determined.

Haha yes final nail in the avids coffin. After completely binding after putting new pads.

So current set up:

Yt industries Wicked 650b

Wheels:mountain king protection v2

Rock shock Pike 160mm

Rock shock monarch 160mm

Avid elixirs 5 200mm disks

New brakes to be ordered: Hope e4 with Tech V3 levers. 200mm floating disks

Chain guide to be determined.

Cool! Didn't know you are going with though...

What RD do you have? Cause if you get a NW (with the right RD) you dont need a chain guide...or if in need, I have a CSixx 150g lying around.

I FINALLY managed to get the accommodation paid yesterday ....done yesterday

I'll be paying the airport shuttle early next week ...paid for me (one way)

then it's just the lift passes....yeah they only have up to the 7days available now, Im still waiting for the 13days ones to come out

Who's bringing a flag?...I always travel with mine, but it might be too late for you guys

PLEEEEEEEEESE can we do a Saffers only run down Chavannes guys? 30 Saffers give or take doing a run down the Les Gets Main line......JAaaaa. This will be great

I am still not sure what bike I am taking with. I'll know towards the middle of June only.

I'm going for my Visa next week, I hope it is as pain free up here as it was in Cape Town always.