Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Thanks mate ... good advice .

If you wan't check with me at the accom you are looking at and I'll give you a yes or no and tell you where it is in relation to the town.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE!

If you want a little insider info I'd be happy to help out.

Some things to note.

1. WATCH OUT!! Bar Robinson and the beer they sell is to be treated with respect

2. Be careful when booking accommodation. Often the accommodation will say Morzine but it's actually Avoriaz. That's right at the top of the mountain so you don't want to book there. Also you might be in Morz but on the super Morzine side which is very steep. so if you're 2 roads back you are 150m up the hill.

3. Don't book accommodation in Les Gets. It's a great little place but the action is in Morz.

4. Rent a road bike for 50 Euro from Torico and ride the roads too. There's a road book available at the Tourist info an most bike shops. There's an amazing 80k loop that takes in Tanings, Megevette, Col de Jambaz, Bellevaux La Baume an back to Morz. We did it in that direction coz we wanted to get the busy Les Gets descent into Tanings out of the way first. Death bed memory!

5. There are trail maps available in all of the bike shops

6. The basement shop in Les Gets has great deals

7. Supermarket beers are cheap

8. You'll buy a lift pass even tho you are on a trail bike. Because.... Ski Lift.

9. The trails in Les Gets are cr@p compared to the rest of the PDS

10. In Chatel. Panoramic-Serpentine. OMG.

11. People-Blues & Rock

12. People-Fluid-Lower People

13. I Think Morgins is closed but the Swiss side is worth a visit.

14. After a day at Chatel roll down past the lake into Montriond and have a beer at Marmador with views up the valley of the Pleney

15. The water in the water troughs is perfectly good to drink. If you bought it here you'd pay R20 a bottle.

16. Bikes do get stolen so secure your bike.

I Should sell this advice.

17. Nico Vink Line (off Vorachatak line) OMG

18. Take full rainsuit...it will rain

19. 15...addendum, drink from the pipe into the trough..I've seen okes wash their shoes in the troughs! wink wink!

20. Get proper insurance

21. Get international roaming activated

22. Go off-piste, at least once!

23. 13 Addendum...definitely go Swiss...Les Croset is worth the trip as is the black return back down to Linderets

24. 9 Addendum...if you HAVE to go to Les Gets go to Jump Park rather!

Jislaaaik, need to go back, there some lines I didn't get to!!!!

Pretty much sold on Girona for next year. There must be a reason most of the pro's base themselves there.

Then of course I will be making a return to Morz. Gonna see if I can rat it. 15k All in. Duran says easy, But he doesn't have the boozing problem that I do.

I think 15k is cutting it tight, last year we did a 12 day trip for around 17.5k and we were proper sewer rats, we discovered we were eating pet food for dinner(food labels are all in French) after 5 days or so, granted it was my first time I could've done it a little cheaper, but not 15k.

In a week I'll be headed back but basing this trip i'm focusing more on natural trails the region has to offer in the lesser known destination for my YouTube channel, I will be basing myself in Samoëns which is around 25km from morzine which was the EWS French stop in 2015, then I'm heading south to Grenoble side for some more fun.

I will probably do a day or 2 in morzine but that's really all I need there as I just wanna smash the "forest of zore"(steep, rooty & gnarly descent back from zore to the village)

So far for 15 days I'm in at around 14.5k, that's my accommodation, flights, insurance, transfer, visa, etc. Only thing to add is spending money.

I think this is going to be an amazing adventure which i will bike vlog on my channel to help equip any of you who are planning to visit in future with the tools to do it at minimum cost.

I think 15k is cutting it tight, last year we did a 12 day trip for around 17.5k and we were proper sewer rats, we discovered we were eating pet food for dinner(food labels are all in French) after 5 days or so, granted it was my first time I could've done it a little cheaper, but not 15k.

In a week I'll be headed back but basing this trip i'm focusing more on natural trails the region has to offer in the lesser known destination for my YouTube channel, I will be basing myself in Samoëns which is around 25km from morzine which was the EWS French stop in 2015, then I'm heading south to Grenoble side for some more fun.

I will probably do a day or 2 in morzine but that's really all I need there as I just wanna smash the "forest of zore"(steep, rooty & gnarly descent back from zore to the village)

So far for 15 days I'm in at around 14.5k, that's my accommodation, flights, insurance, transfer, visa, etc. Only thing to add is spending money.

I think this is going to be an amazing adventure which i will bike vlog on my channel to help equip any of you who are planning to visit in future with the tools to do it at minimum cost.

Are you planning to ride in the vercors area near grenoble ?

Done that on road bike ,but apparently some good offroad riding as well. Beautiful area and close to our spot in the Ardeche.

Nice one Wayne. I think you'll love Samoens. I've not seen any of the trails but apparently it's pretty natural over there. There's talk that Samoens will be part of the PDS from 2018. I'm not sure how that will be achieved tho. I didn't see a lift linking Samoens to Les Gets. And the whole idea of the PDS area is covering the whole area with just lifts. The bus from Chatel to the bikepark is already too much.

Ja I agree 15k is tight. Doubt it's possible but that's the aim. The first year it cost me 18 but that was when it was R10 to the Euro. I just love the PDS. And I'm not ashamed to say I LOOOOOVE the bike parky stuff like Zore and Chatel. I love going fast (for me) and bamming those tables on Zore. Aaand then jumping on the lift and doing it all over again.

I want to do two trips next year. PDS on the Mountain Bike and Girona on the roadie. I'll probably take my Reign. I've got a coil for it so with that fitted it's pretty much a park bike. On the roadie trip my fiance will be coming along so that will be more expensive no doubt. The Girona trip is just an idea at this point. 

Went through Samoens last year. Beautiful little town. Much like Les Gets. If you are at the top of the Les Gets Jump park. There's a tar road there. That's the Joux Plane road. The actual col is about 2km from there towards Samoens. If you roll down the tar road from there you'll be in Samoens.

You going on your own?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Are you planning to ride in the vercors area near grenoble ?

Done that on road bike ,but apparently some good offroad riding as well. Beautiful area and close to our spot in the Ardeche.

I'll be staying in Prapoutel for a few days, there is a rad system called Les 7 Laux I'll be riding with other trails in the area.

Nice one Wayne. I think you'll love Samoens. I've not seen any of the trails but apparently it's pretty natural over there. There's talk that Samoens will be part of the PDS from 2018. I'm not sure how that will be achieved tho. I didn't see a lift linking Samoens to Les Gets. And the whole idea of the PDS area is covering the whole area with just lifts. The bus from Chatel to the bikepark is already too much.

Ja I agree 15k is tight. Doubt it's possible but that's the aim. The first year it cost me 18 but that was when it was R10 to the Euro. I just love the PDS. And I'm not ashamed to say I LOOOOOVE the bike parky stuff like Zore and Chatel. I love going fast (for me) and bamming those tables on Zore. Aaand then jumping on the lift and doing it all over again.

I want to do two trips next year. PDS on the Mountain Bike and Girona on the roadie. I'll probably take my Reign. I've got a coil for it so with that fitted it's pretty much a park bike. On the roadie trip my fiance will be coming along so that will be more expensive no doubt. The Girona trip is just an idea at this point.

Went through Samoens last year. Beautiful little town. Much like Les Gets. If you are at the top of the Les Gets Jump park. There's a tar road there. That's the Joux Plane road. The actual col is about 2km from there towards Samoens. If you roll down the tar road from there you'll be in Samoens. the

You going on your own?

PDS has amazing riding and it was an awesome experience to ride there. I would definitely recommend that everyone go if they haven't been there, the shear vastness of the lift system is insane. It's a pitty about Morgins, but there is plenty of other rad places and plenty of sneakies to ride.

I'm traveling alone(I had a group going but but when time came to commit things changed) but I am lucky enough to have made friends with my housemate from last year who was there for the season, he showed us slot of rad secrets and places we would never have found, he's back this year so I'm hooking up with him again. I also have a mate that immigrated to France and will be traveling and staying with him in Prapoutel.

I'm traveling alone(I had a group going but but when time came to commit things changed) 

If I had a Rand for every oke who was 100% definitely coming for sure BRU! I'm there and then pulled out when the time to hand over cash came I'd own a Chalet there.

It's always easier to get someone to go a 2nd time. Once okes have actually been you'll see them selling their children into slavery to go.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

So planning our route to italy from france , time on route limited 3 days stop over in PDS . Seems on map chatel on route I wanna take towards como area on route to val di sole . Seems chatel more than enough riding , so think morzine area if I have more time in future .

So planning our route to italy from france , time on route limited 3 days stop over in PDS . Seems on map chatel on route I wanna take towards como area on route to val di sole . Seems chatel more than enough riding , so think morzine area if I have more time in future .

Ja. There's PLENTY of riding in Chatel. You can easily get to Morzine from there tho. It's just the 2 Chatel lifts. A roll down into Lindarets and the lift out of Lindarets. Then you're at the top of Avoriaz. From there it's 11km of downhill tarmac or the Zore trails into Morz. You can literally get from the bottom of Chatel to the Morzine bridge without pedaling once.

The only thing is you do not want to get caught in Morz when the lifts close. The French are lazy f%&kers and the lifts don't stay open late. You'll have to be at the lift out of Lindarets to Chatel before closing time. I think that lift closes at 4.45. Watch the weather coz they do close the lifts if there's the potential of lightning.

If you are staying in Chatel there's a free bus to take you up to the bike park. The pickup is in the square opposite the tourist info. Or you can park at the bottom of Chatel with your car. The bikepark is only about 5km from town. I've only spent brief amounts of time in the town but it's Beautiful. 

Most of the trails in Chatel are on the lower half of the mountain. The lift up from the bottom is AMAAAAAZING and runs next to the river through the forest. Stunning for sure.

There's also a nice xc/adventure sort of loop you can do. chatel. Take the 2 lifts to the top. roll into lindarets. Take the Avoriaz lift out. Roll back down into lindarets but towards Mosets (riding up the valley is hard work) Catch the mosetts lift to the highest part of the pds.

Roll from there down to Morgins in Switzerland. Then there's a road ride up the hill a bit and you then roll down into Chatel town.

Yes I do have a map of the area on a wall in my apartment.

If you only have 3 days tho I reckon the best bang for buck is.

Day 1. Chatel

Day 2. Hit Zore (Chatel side of Morzine) till 2. It's very bike parky but suuuuuuper fun There's a new lift with 2 new trails. 2pm head back to Chatel and finish up there

Day 3. Do that Morgins loop. Catch the bus back up to the bikepark and finish up the day there.

The big mistake people (me) make is to spend too much time traversing between the parks. Another mistake tho is to get hung up in one place.

It's a tightrope man!!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Ja. There's PLENTY of riding in Chatel. You can easily get to Morzine from there tho. It's just the 2 Chatel lifts. A roll down into Lindarets and the lift out of Lindarets. Then you're at the top of Avoriaz. From there it's 11km of downhill tarmac or the Zore trails into Morz. You can literally get from the bottom of Chatel to the Morzine bridge without pedaling once.

The only thing is you do not want to get caught in Morz when the lifts close. The French are lazy f%&kers and the lifts don't stay open late. You'll have to be at the lift out of Lindarets to Chatel before closing time. I think that lift closes at 4.45. Watch the weather coz they do close the lifts if there's the potential of lightning.

If you are staying in Chatel there's a free bus to take you up to the bike park. The pickup is in the square opposite the tourist info. Or you can park at the bottom of Chatel with your car. The bikepark is only about 5km from town. I've only spent brief amounts of time in the town but it's Beautiful. 

Most of the trails in Chatel are on the lower half of the mountain. The lift up from the bottom is AMAAAAAZING and runs next to the river through the forest. Stunning for sure.

There's also a nice xc/adventure sort of loop you can do. chatel. Take the 2 lifts to the top. roll into lindarets. Take the Avoriaz lift out. Roll back down into lindarets but towards Mosets (riding up the valley is hard work) Catch the mosetts lift to the highest part of the pds.

Roll from there down to Morgins in Switzerland. Then there's a road ride up the hill a bit and you then roll down into Chatel town.

Yes I do have a map of the area on a wall in my apartment.

If you only have 3 days tho I reckon the best bang for buck is.

Day 1. Chatel

Day 2. Hit Zore (Chatel side of Morzine) till 2. It's very bike parky but suuuuuuper fun There's a new lift with 2 new trails. 2pm head back to Chatel and finish up there

Day 3. Do that Morgins loop. Catch the bus back up to the bikepark and finish up the day there.

The big mistake people (me) make is to spend too much time traversing between the parks. Another mistake tho is to get hung up in one place.

It's a tightrope man!!

Great advice...don't get hung up trying to ride as many trails as possible...IMO, you need to spend time riding the same trails over and over so you can get the most out of them so planning a short trip is critical to know you won't see a huge part of the PDS but you will definitely enjoy whatever trail you ride!