Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Agree with Robbo too riski to ride last am. Just chill and start planning 2019..

That's already happening I'm afraid.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to the thread title: Yes I do.

Karl has a spot open in his accommodation...... Dot Dot Dot.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 3 weeks later...

Duane, this is on my bucket list although I'm not really a downhiller; more easy enduro; vintage model body.

I can't make July as I'm in the US but can one go later in the season - August / September?

Can I pm or call you to get some details?

Duane, this is on my bucket list although I'm not really a downhiller; more easy enduro; vintage model body.

I can't make July as I'm in the US but can one go later in the season - August / September?

Can I pm or call you to get some details?

Hey Man.

Yes there are enduro trails there. Lots and lots of enduro trails. I'm taking my Reign this year, Tony is taking his Reign, Martin is taking a Trance and Jan is taking an Intense Primer. You'll still use the lift system as all the trail heads are centred around the lifts. And why would you want to ride UP an Alp anyway? Even the hiking trails start at the top lift stations.

The lifts traditionally close the first weekend of September so you want to go late August. IMO that's actually the best time to go because statistically that's the best weather and the trails are quieter. There's also more chance of picking up a bargain in one of the many bike shops.

As far as accomodation goes that really up to you and your budget. Our accom this year is costing 22k between 4 for 13 nights. That sounds like a lot but we are there for 2 weeks and none of us are kids so no couch sleeping and it's got all the modcons for a long stay. Mu Fiance and I got a great little apartment for +-R600 a night 2 years ago. BE CAREFUL tho. I'll happily adivse you on where to book. You don't want to hike a bike halfway back up the mountain after a day of riding.

Airline is easy. Qatar

Pack your bike in a cardboard box

You take a shuttle from Geneva to Morzine and back. No need to rent a car which is one of the major attractions for me.

Avoid the bars and restaurants if you can coz those kill your budget.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Good advice for sure - I tried to interest a few people but no bites yet - it may rollover to next year; sadly.  At this stage I would take my Trance - rentals are too expensive from a quick Google.

He he - avoid the bars !!  Thanks Duane; good point about lift closing time.  Can you give one or two contacts for the accommodation.  The 22k (ZAR :ph34r: ?) for 4 for 13 nights sounds good.

Good advice for sure - I tried to interest a few people but no bites yet - it may rollover to next year; sadly.  At this stage I would take my Trance - rentals are too expensive from a quick Google.

He he - avoid the bars !!  Thanks Duane; good point about lift closing time.  Can you give one or two contacts for the accommodation.  The 22k (ZAR :ph34r: ?) for 4 for 13 nights sounds good.

Yeah. Trance is fine for the stuff you'll be riding. You'll put bigger rotors on maybe. Everything is super well built. Rentals are only if you have a mechanical and you want to carry on riding while the shop fixes your bike. Everyone has this thought that they need to improve themselves and have the best bike ever to justify the trip. That's a load of garbage. Just go. Leave your ego at home and have fun. There are 500 wannabe pro's making beds and scrubbing toilets there. You don't need to compete with them.

It always amazes me how things like the epic sell out in minutes but it's a struggle to find people to do a Euro trip. For less money. I'll keep my ear to the ground for someone who might be going. It's always better with mates. And there's also the safety factor. You can get hurt.

We found a spot on airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15322601

I'm familiar with the town so I know exactly where this spot is. You want to be on the bottom of the valley floor. The mountains are steep and even 2 blocks back from the valley floor could be horrible to get to after a day of riding.

We've also stayed at Drift. http://www.driftriding.co.uk/. They do catered accommodation which is great if you are in a big crew or you're going for a short time. They sort out breakfast and dinner so you get to concentrate on the riding. They've also got a fully equipped workshop and rental bikes if the need arises.

I've also sourced accommodation from https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/. Payment was a bit of a ball ache. I had to use paypal if I remember.

Some things to note when it comes to staying there.

1. If it has "fabulous valley views" it's halfway up an Alp.

2. Avoriaz is NOT morzine. That's RIGHT at the TOP of an Alp.

3. Montriond is not Morzine.

4. Let Gets is ok to stay in but the action is in Morz. Also it's the lowest point in the PDS so you should be able to roll down into it at the end of the day. You don't want to have to trek up the road to Les Gets at the end of the day.

Some other stuff.

1. Take some wet weather gear. It will rain

2. Watch out for the Mutzig

3. If you are the proud owner of an SA passport you'll need a schengen visa. Ask for a multi year coz you will be going back

4.Buy a something in the bike shops. Yes it's expensive but those guys only have a 2-3 month season to justify their existence. And one day you'll need them to help you out.

5. Keep an eye out for a pro. I've got a fanboy pic of myself and Barel in Chatel and one year Bearclaw and Semenuk stood behind me in the lift queue.

6. You have to do one night of Fondue

7. Tell your wife your penis is safe. The only girls there are fat, british and ugly.

8. Take lots and lots and lots and lots of pics.

9. Don't skimp on insurance. You don't want to be airlifted to a Swiss hospital and have to pay for that **** yourself.

Fitness.

You don't have to be "fit" but don't think that riding lifts all day long and banging down doesn't take it's toll. The first year I couldn't even comprehend going a full run on any of the long trails. Pleney is 3.25 km long and drops 500m. That's almost 3 times the drop on the Conters main line. I start preparing 3 months out with those spring loaded hand trainer goodies. I also start taking Calmag about 3 weeks out and I take 3 anti inflams a day. 1 in the morning 2 in the arvo. I also drink quite a lot of the local energy drink (beer)

@ Tony Anything else?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

We're in the Blue Zone, nice and close to everything

Staying in this sweet 7 bedroom chalet with a hot tub :thumbup:

Fist rule of Morzine. 

Other Saffers are allowed to user your hot tub.

Great stuff guys; Duane really appreciated. I'm looking forward to see if I can fade my brakes  :eek: Ice Tech rotors are on; XT calipers etc next.

I will avoid the sidewalks.like a plague

Yeah. Trance is fine for the stuff you'll be riding. You'll put bigger rotors on maybe. Everything is super well built. Rentals are only if you have a mechanical and you want to carry on riding while the shop fixes your bike. Everyone has this thought that they need to improve themselves and have the best bike ever to justify the trip. That's a load of garbage. Just go. Leave your ego at home and have fun. There are 500 wannabe pro's making beds and scrubbing toilets there. You don't need to compete with them.

It always amazes me how things like the epic sell out in minutes but it's a struggle to find people to do a Euro trip. For less money. I'll keep my ear to the ground for someone who might be going. It's always better with mates. And there's also the safety factor. You can get hurt.

We found a spot on airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15322601

I'm familiar with the town so I know exactly where this spot is. You want to be on the bottom of the valley floor. The mountains are steep and even 2 blocks back from the valley floor could be horrible to get to after a day of riding.

We've also stayed at Drift. http://www.driftriding.co.uk/. They do catered accommodation which is great if you are in a big crew or you're going for a short time. They sort out breakfast and dinner so you get to concentrate on the riding. They've also got a fully equipped workshop and rental bikes if the need arises.

I've also sourced accommodation from https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/. Payment was a bit of a ball ache. I had to use paypal if I remember.

Some things to note when it comes to staying there.

1. If it has "fabulous valley views" it's halfway up an Alp.

2. Avoriaz is NOT morzine. That's RIGHT at the TOP of an Alp.

3. Montriond is not Morzine.

4. Let Gets is ok to stay in but the action is in Morz. Also it's the lowest point in the PDS so you should be able to roll down into it at the end of the day. You don't want to have to trek up the road to Les Gets at the end of the day.

Some other stuff.

1. Take some wet weather gear. It will rain

2. Watch out for the Mutzig

3. If you are the proud owner of an SA passport you'll need a schengen visa. Ask for a multi year coz you will be going back

4.Buy a something in the bike shops. Yes it's expensive but those guys only have a 2-3 month season to justify their existence. And one day you'll need them to help you out.

5. Keep an eye out for a pro. I've got a fanboy pic of myself and Barel in Chatel and one year Bearclaw and Semenuk stood behind me in the lift queue.

6. You have to do one night of Fondue

7. Tell your wife your penis is safe. The only girls there are fat, british and ugly.

8. Take lots and lots and lots and lots of pics.

9. Don't skimp on insurance. You don't want to be airlifted to a Swiss hospital and have to pay for that **** yourself.

Fitness.

You don't have to be "fit" but don't think that riding lifts all day long and banging down doesn't take it's toll. The first year I couldn't even comprehend going a full run on any of the long trails. Pleney is 3.25 km long and drops 500m. That's almost 3 times the drop on the Conters main line. I start preparing 3 months out with those spring loaded hand trainer goodies. I also start taking Calmag about 3 weeks out and I take 3 anti inflams a day. 1 in the morning 2 in the arvo. I also drink quite a lot of the local energy drink (beer)

@ Tony Anything else?

Yoh, good lists,

Also

• Don't try ride all the trails....you will spend too much time traversing and lifting, pick a few (there are some MUST RIDE ones and some NEVER EVER ones) and you will enjoy it more cause you will get to know the trails you spend more time on
  • Every time we go, someone suggests a lay-day....leave that oke behind on that day...you only there for a short time and may never return...RIDE EVERY DAY!!! - we usually do an ENDURO day after first week, which is a little more relaxed.
  • Make sure you got a good spares pack...you will have a mechanical on a remote Alpine hillside
  • ECHO insurance...
  • You won't suddenly be a PRO when you get back...unfortunately...I'm not super skilled but did a big road gap there a few times (until it bit me)...got home and was too poep bang to do the most basic drop at my local trail for a long time! Different types of trails!!
  • Nico is right, ride on the sidewalk but don't ride ON the sidewalk ie beer and biking don't always mix well!

Most of all enjoy and ride within your limits!

• 2 weeks later...

Any other Saffers in Morz this summer?

We've got a little whatsapp group for those going to share the stoke and share tips/advice for the trip.

Tip #1 - Take your rain jacket.

The PDS probably thought I'm coming again this year... 

It does look rather moist at the moment hey.

15 people in our (loose) crew. With 3 ladies. I reckon that's a record for Saffer ladies in Morz. Kevin is DEFF going to get into a few barfights coz his girlfriend is..... um...... striking and there is a distinct lack of a feminine presence there.

There's also Theo, Doooran & Garlicke who will be spending time out there and there's apparently a crew of Namibians out there already.

Edited by Duane_Bosch